We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Faro shuffle PROJECT (Faro Poetry) (48 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2430 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Very nice thinking and detective work goochelen. Penelope the weaver.

If that's the answer we'd just need the first time 'it' was published and by who? I wonder if the 'it' could, in the light of what goochlen has posted, be thought to mean the first time that the weave (of cards) was published and by who? (rather than when the Penelope Principle was published and by who)
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
goochelen
View Profile
New user
South of France
38 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Hi Sealegs - great insight.

I think we are getting closer.

By consulting the Conjuring-Archive I found that Edward Marlo's 1964 book "Faro Controlled Miracles" mentions on page 3 "The Riffle Weave" referring to an alternation of the top 10 cards during a riffle shuffle.

I like this "Treasure hunt" Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, Sealegs wrote:
Tonsofquestions.... the original question asked, what is Penelope?.... rather than who was/is Penelope. So the film answer might be valid but the wife of Odysseus ought not to be. Smile

A fictional character in [book/movie] seems like a perfectly fine answer to a what question. I'm sure that it was also the name of the character in the movie, even if it was also the title. Smile

But I also like the idea of referring to it as the Faro itself, rather than the principle.

According to Joshua Jay's Amazing Book of Cards,
Quote:
Colleague Tyler Wilson has this to say about the origins of the faro shuffle: "The idea of perfectly interweaving cards during a shuffle -- such as in a faro shuffle -- was published in The While Art and Mystery of Modern Gaming Fully Expos'd and Detected; Containing An Historical Account Of all the Secret Abuses Practis'd in the Game of Chance in 1726, written by an anonymous author who refers to himself only as 'Your Lordship's Most obliged and most obedient humble Servant'"

That seems like a reasonable guess. And for completeness, 26 shuffles. Smile
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
320 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
Guys I'm at LOS ANGELES right now if any farolover is over there just let me know Smile
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
320 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
Guys I'm about to go to tour on spain and france so if any of you there are interested on a physical copy let me know Smile

ps: while I'm on tour the book is on sale, the post is old and at that time I was charging the ebook 35 usd but since 2017 the e book is 45 but if you buy the Ebook version while I'm on tour the price is 35 as it was on the launch Smile

let´s faro Smile
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Just placed an order... Looking forward to reading the book!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Faro shuffle PROJECT (Faro Poetry) (48 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL