The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Encouraging Applause and Cheesy Lines (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Rocky...I think you are comparing apples and oranges!

Yes...stand up comedians are working for a laugh after each funny line, joke, or story, and, applause at the finish.

Novelty acts, magic, juggling, acrobats, etc. (if, they're any good, look for applause after a trick.

Only a rank amateur would, at the end of a trick, ask for "A round of applause, for the handkerchief that changed color!" ---I have seen more than one such performer, do that! --And, the audience would applaud, in a perfunctory manner.

I've been performing since October or 1945 for money, not coffee and cake! About 21 years later I quit being a part time professional, and became a full time professionsl. In all the years between 1945 and 2008, when I retired from full time, I got applause, encores, standing ovations, and money! Since 2008, I'm a part timer again. I still get applause after each trick, and, I still get money.

I learned very early, how to tactfully and effectively, cue an audience to applaud.

DORNY always said: "The 'bow' is part of the act." --and, so is applause.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
It depends on how the performer structures his show. When David Copperfield performs it's really a series of short plays, each one receiving applause as it ends. Other performers work more like stand up comedians.

I can imagine a performer putting on one long sustained act in which all of the applause comes at the end but I haven't seen it myself. I think it would be more of a play with magic than a magic show. If this is what Rocky aspires to I wish him well but there is nothing wrong with the other approaches either.

(Actually when you watch a play the applause comes at the end of each Act not at the end of the play but the point remains)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Thehedge
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Thehedge
I believe there is a difference between stage and close-up magic. The more intimate the audience the less reasonable the applause. Yes, in traditional show style performances, applause is a socially understood method of communication with performer. As performances become more conversational, the purpose of applause changes. Yes, applause is important depending on setting. Yes, it can serve a function in close-up if attempting to draw attention. This attention can be good attention such as the person signing the checks or other potential audiences to provoke interest. But as a performer (close-up), I do not understand the need for applause. Applause is not bad, but I receive more valuable feedback through my interpersonal interactions. I disagree that applause benefits audiences. Separate from reinforcement from peers, I don't believe audiences experiences are negatively altered if they don't have opportunity to clap their hands together. That being said, it is a character preference or performers personal choice to cue applauses. I only cue an audience when I know why I am doing what I am doing, not because that is the way it has always been.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Its unfortunate that there are limited opportunities for todays audiences to applaud a magicians performance.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2016, Rocky wrote:
Its unfortunate that there are limited opportunities for todays audiences to applaud a magicians performance.

True! --Have you considered that too many magicians present an act, or show, that is not good enough to be booked where they could get applause?

Note! I am not "knocking" amateur performers, or, their programs. --I've seen many amateurs whose acts or shows are better han some professionals!
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
A friend of mine in college was a theater major as well as a skilled magician. He once shared at a magic meeting that when a person decides to pursue the art of magic...begin with at least a year of acting lessons before purchasing any magic related items/resources. He could entertain a crowd by PRETENDING to do a magic act. It was hilarious.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Interesting anecdote.....

The late NEIL FOSTER, who had done several seasons playing schools, and I, were "jackpotting" one day a Abbott's, about 20+ years ago. We were discussing, particularly, the occasional "quiet" audience.

He told me of playing a small Catholic school, out east. At the finish of his first trick (ZOMBI!) he paused for the usual applause. The students in this elementary school, just smiled. No applause! It was the same reaction/response after each trick.

Neil did an excellent program. There was plenty of color and flash. He had good comedy bits. No applause.

He had to pad out his program with several extra routines to fill the 45 minutes.

At the end of his "big finish", the kids applauded--long and loud!

When the principal brought his check, and, thanked him with a big smile, Neil was curious! He mentioned the "unusual" (to him) student response. The principal said, "Oh! They really enjoyed and appreciated your program. We are emphasizing audience decorum, and, I think I may have inadvertently caused the "problem"! We had an orchestral concert last month, and, I told them, before they came to the auditorium, that, it was proper to applaud at the end of the concert!"

I've never had a situation that extreme, but, especially in places when I had a "different" culture group, I've found them smiling and nodding their appreciation. I told several stories in my book about American Indian schools. The kids were extremely polite! I learned to greet them in their language!--That usually "broke the ice".

I agree with the comment above, that in informal, small groups, sometimes hand clapping is not readily forthcoming, but, often enthusiastic verbal comments are. A professional knows when to PAUSE, and, allow the group to verbally respond.

I've pointed out many times that interaction and involvement are necessary. The days of passively watching a performance are over. I always talk WITH. not AT or TO the spectator(s).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, Rocky wrote:
A friend of mine in college was a theater major as well as a skilled magician. He once shared at a magic meeting that when a person decides to pursue the art of magic...begin with at least a year of acting lessons before purchasing any magic related items/resources. He could entertain a crowd by PRETENDING to do a magic act. It was hilarious.

YUP!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I have always been uneasy with applause in a close up situation.

As the performer, you do everything you can do to break any theatrical "fourth wall," and then you expect the "audience" to respond as if you were onstage. That's even a little creepy.

When would normal humans applaud when they were in the same proximity as in a close up scenario? I can only think of one time - when an infant feeds itself, or burps, or stands up, or goes potty. That may get applause. But otherwise, it rarely happens. Should your magic be deemed in the same class as a bowel movement?

I think that applause developed to permit a distant audience to express its approval at what the performer on stage has done. That is not appropriate in the more informal - and physically closer - environment of the table hopper or party stroller. I think that a simple, "That was great," or "How did you do that?" is an appropriate reaction from an "audience" in that case.

If that is not satisfying, maybe you are too close.

I guess I agree with Thehedge.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess my experience has been different. I have never had to encourage applause. It just happens.

Now mind you it may very well have to do with where and when you work. If yoy are doing a couple of tricks before the salad arrives and then you scamper away on a family night then yea don't expect applause.

If you sit down after dinner and are invited and it is more of a show them plan on applause. If you barge in on them unexpected don't plan on many applause.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Danny!
MOST of my work was in schools. For many groups in rural USA, I was the FIRST live performer that they had seen--ever! They had seen TV of course, but, they didn't applaud for an act on TV. --And, there are less and less variety acts on TV these days.

Often, I would need to "teach" them how to respond (social skills were one of the values derived from Lyceum programs.) Sometimes a gentle cueing was all that was needed. I learned to do the cueing subtly! with a gesture, and/or a subtle line. School administrators would comment, favorably, on my handling of group dynamics. The program's "three Ts" (Tempo, timing, and time) were equally important. (Schools, as has been mentioned, operate on a strict schedule!)

I invited students to participate on two occasions in the program. Using different kids for every trick or routine tends to cause the show to stop, each time, and, as a result, every trick is an "opening trick"! MTV has helped to create short attention spans. I did about a dozen routines in 45 minutes, which helped maintain interest and attention. If I had a different kid up for each routine, that would make about 12-15 minutes of lost program time!

I talked about applause, how to get it, and how to acknowledge it, in my book. I even explained the difference between "styling" and, "bowing". --because many beginning performers don't even know what styling is.

No question! Extremely casual situations like table hopping, and, strolling, are different than a seated audience in an auditorium, theater, or a grand stand at a fair. I would be willing to bet that many of the readers in the Café don't know the difference between an auditorium and a theater.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dick exactly. As we were talking table hoping I limited the answer. ALL theater audiences have to be taught it is ok to applaud.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Is there really any conflict here? I think people are just talking past each other. Applause is the norm for larger crowds as in a play but not expected in more intimate settings. Does any one disagree?

I'm not aware of close up performers expecting applause from just a few people. Is this an issue?

There are in-between situations such as a large group in a restaurant. When I perform for a large table I do tricks that play larger and I'm not surprised to get a round of applause. Is any one on this thread suggesting that is a problem?

Where exactly is the disagreement?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I disagree.

But again doing 3 tricks before the salad probably no applause. Sit down for 7 to 10 minutes after the meal and 90% of the time you will get them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I see you're point but I still don't think it's much of a disagreement. If you present a more formal "show" applause is more likely even for a small group. It's not strictly related to the size but larger groups tend to be more of a "show" and smaller groups can often be more of a conversational performance.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely. I was just trying to be clear.

I also think expecting applause in the wrong environment leads to silly lines. I think it is at the heart of the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
147 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
Why ask applause for yourself? I try to make most of my magic "with" my audience not "for" my audience!
If someone helped me, I want to make that person the star at that moment, so applause is needed to show that person our appreciation, which means that I will applaud as well!

Working close-up I definately seek for applause, cause that's what gives my client a GREAT feeling!

Balance is the right word here I guess, don't over-use and don't under-use!
MiNDHACKER / goochelaar
https://www.marcwoods.nl
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
1. The only reason I would want applause in a restaurant is to inform the GM that his money is well-spent.
However, applause is not needed, because after most of the effects performed, people are naturally either laughing or yelling,
"How do you do/know that!?" or "WTF!!" or "How did you get my watch!" The reactions are already loud--why would I want applause instead?.

2. Though I have seen, for example, Derren Brown, finish a card trick with, "...turn that card over and freak out,"
have you ever seen say, David Blaine, Criss Angel, or Derren Brown showcase a effect on a televised special where their close-up audience applauded?
No. This is because (IMO) the spectators/participants are too astonished, too spellbound or too overcome with laughter/screaming or some other more-natural release--a release which is equally audible as applause and arguably more meaningful.
Bear in mind that any one of the above performers KNOWS that he could easily prep his audience,
"If you like what I'm about to show you, feel free to applaud at the end." But those magicians don't prep their audience to applaud, even prior to filming. Invariably the natural reaction is more priceless.

I can think of a maybe one scenario/category-of-effect where applause would be ideal--multiple moments of astonishment: have 8 people peek at/select a card, discover the 8 cards in an entertaining way. But I'm not really sure of even this one. I just find that people often applaud after the last one instead of "freaking out." Maybe they're more "impressed" than "flabbergasted." Come to think of it, maybe I need to be sure the last reveal is surprising, since after revealing 7 cards, they expect the ending.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I nearly always get an applause or some form of verbal reaction. This cements your value with the restaurant staff AND other tables will request you when they hear it. Once one table responds verbally or in applause, the rest will too. I don't use applause lines and think they are tacky, but that is me. I do occasionally prime the pump with body language.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Encouraging Applause and Cheesy Lines (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL