The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Two in the Hand (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kimwizard
View Profile
New user
Muscatine, Iowa USA
48 Posts

Profile of kimwizard
I'm looking for information regarding two in the hand, one in the pocket. Written, on line or video. I'm mostly interested in how to, moves, variations and the like. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Kim
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Since no one has "attempted" an answer regarding moves, variations, etc., I'll throw in a psychological concept that I picked up in one of the magazines, EONS ago.

The writer's point was that when You've apparently placed ONE in the hand, you should not say, "How many ARE in the hand?", you should say, "How many SHOULD there be in my hand?". I've tested the concept, and, it does seem to play better!

It's "interesting" how a different word can AFFECT (NOT, "EFFECT") the way a spectator "sees" the EFFECT!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I also am convinced of the importance in asking the the question correctly, but I prefer "How many DID YOU SEE me put in my hand?" as a way to eliminate guessing. Also I feel the use of three different color objects or different shaped objects is more effective than using three duplicate objects. I got this from playing around with Qua-Fiki's "One Fish - Two Fish (Red Fish Blue Fish)" routine from The Wizards' Journal #20. It led me to develop my "Pseudo Color Cups and Balls" described in The Wizards' Journal #29, as a great addition to incorporating three different color cups with three different color balls where the "pocket" can also be a box or bag on the side. See also Spellbinder's use of a "Hand Bag" under the arm as a "pocket" in his Mini-Mysteries Book 4 series.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
To the original question, I think the "Chinese Marble Mystery" in Sachs' Sleight of Hand might be a good place to start. The same principals apply.

Also, to the "How many are in the hand?" vs. "How many should be in the hand?" :
I really like that phrasing better. There is nothing more idiotic than stating the obvious -- i.e."Now which coin is the silver one?" At least the second question is engaging, and doesn't have an implied "you moron" tagged on at the end of it. I also like "How many did you see me put in my hand?" because again, it allows for some interaction. Both of these tips are great, and O.P. would do well to pay them heed.

Just my $ .02
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi pixsmith!

Thanks for "seconding the motion"! I've been using the "2 in hand, 1 in pocket" bit for eons, using every sort of "props".

I note that the OP has not responded, and, three months have elapsed. Apparently he has lost interest. I was the 'first responder' !!!) and, just happened to notice the (0)so I mentioned the "should be".
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
In the same vein as that trick, I am a fan of the "Balls in the Net" as well, in spite of some of the naysaying I've seen. I use phenolic balls, because the look and weight are nice, and it truth, if you really are in love with the roll up move (which I am not, but a lot of people go to it) it can be done, which seems improbable to any random magician who may be watching. It's basically the same plot (one in hand... as is part of the cups and balls) and it's interesting to me that so few people give it the attention to detail that it deserves.

In truth, like the cups and balls, the most important thing is the "transfer" and a whole routine can live or die by that. The rest is dressing, or at least it seems that way to me.

Poor OP -- you both provided some excellent insight. Hope it wasn't missed.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Pix!

Most of the "First 'o' Mays" are interested only in the 'latest & greatest"!

Apparently, only a few of us old mountebanks appreciate these ancient, and somewhat arcane mysteries!
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Ancient indeed. I've written up presentations for the local magic club newsletter, and I don't think any of them were for any effect that was post-1940. I've been very lucky to have a good friend and excellent teacher who was well-schooled in and by the Vernon thought processes. I only wish I had learned to think older at a younger age.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Doc Eason has a version of Two in the Hand in one of his L & L DVDs, perhaps the first volume. In effects of this type, as in 3 Card Monte, it's always a good idea to rephrase the questions as Dick suggested to defuse any confrontational aspects.

Another presentational strategy is to frame it in a story where the magician was conned by a hustler. The magician can then ask the spectator the usual questions and after the reply, he might say "Yes, I also thought there were two left in the hand but the hustler nailed me again."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Two in the Hand (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL