The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Priceless by Michel Huot and Richard Sanders (141 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..22~23~24 [Next]
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Add a third kicker and also have your spec's ring attached to the security FOB!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, Themediocremagician wrote:
I have noticed in the demo vids everyone is wearing loose clothing. Is that important or can one wear a more tailored/formal jacket?

I did it at a show last night wearing my tailored suit and it went great.

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I assume you can use any tag, correct? doesn't have to be one of the two supplied?

Only asking because I have a specific use in mind.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
So is this an opener? everyone is started with it ready to with pad in hand. That is not a real world demo if you ask me.
Kyle says can be done any time and resets fast. Really? So if it is on your back you can reset and be ready to do it at another time or are you saying as you put it on you can reset and be ready to perform it again but not really at a later time?
Also I notice open clothing. If wearing a buttoned vest that is form fitting, there wont be any concerns? I have a pretty good idea what is going on so could see it being an issue without open jacket or open shirt.

ALso on the back of the clothing, I assume it is a different handling and maybe more that could be exposed or is this all been covered. Can that version be done with tight angles?

I see many spectators handling the tag. Does the gimmick l$@k or could they see something if they try to bring it closer to them?

Yes I don't care for the writing on the pad as that was the first one that seemed to be odd but do like some of the suggestions in the thread. While the creator said no one told him they thought it was odd, who is to say they still felt it was and just did not say? People are nice. I read he Michel puts the pad down on the table. But not one demo this way so not sure why as that maybe seems less odd

Anyway, if one could answer my questions that would be great.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, Powermagic wrote:
So is this an opener? everyone is started with it ready to with pad in hand. That is not a real world demo if you ask me.
Kyle says can be done any time and resets fast. Really? So if it is on your back you can reset and be ready to do it at another time or are you saying as you put it on you can reset and be ready to perform it again but not really at a later time?
Also I notice open clothing. If wearing a buttoned vest that is form fitting, there wont be any concerns? I have a pretty good idea what is going on so could see it being an issue without open jacket or open shirt.

ALso on the back of the clothing, I assume it is a different handling and maybe more that could be exposed or is this all been covered. Can that version be done with tight angles?

I see many spectators handling the tag. Does the gimmick l$@k or could they see something if they try to bring it closer to them?

Yes I don't care for the writing on the pad as that was the first one that seemed to be odd but do like some of the suggestions in the thread. While the creator said no one told him they thought it was odd, who is to say they still felt it was and just did not say? People are nice. I read he Michel puts the pad down on the table. But not one demo this way so not sure why as that maybe seems less odd

Anyway, if one could answer my questions that would be great.

Hey man -

You can re set from table to table as you walk to the next table. You don't have to take the tag off if that's what you're asking.

They don't talk about on the dvd but a single button jacket I think would work buttoned. I don't think a multiple button vest would work if buttoned. They only way that would work is if it was on the back of the vest.

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Themediocremagician
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Themediocremagician
That's a great question from powermagic. Does it lock in case you have the spectator touch the tag?
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I've ordered Priceless and hereby offer a "logical disconnect" for anyone wanting to add a further layer of impossibility to an already baffling, beautiful (and funny) effect: Have the writing on the pad and on the tag be two different colors.

To accomplish this, you'll need to use a Chromatic pen (or any similar style that writes several colors). You'll also need to place a standard blank white sticker on the target area of the Priceless tag.

To illustrate, using a screen shot from Kyle's demo video, imagine the blank sticker where the price is written (see below).

Using different colors of ink on the pad and tag would make it impossible for a pesky, over-thinking spectator to backtrack. And for "normal" people, I think it adds an unconscious conviction that deepens the mystery. I first ran across this idea in the great Anthony Lindan / Dan Garrett effect called "Fortune and Fate," which came with a Chromatic pen that wrote blue and red.

Cheers,
Jerry

Click here to view attached image.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
I had an idea similar to Jerry's where you insert the "wrong" color ink into a pen. So for example, you have a red (on the outside) pen that actually has black ink inside. Then you start the effect with something written in red on the notepad (which matches the outside of your pen) while the price on the tag appears in black. Voila, instant convincer!

I don't know how easy it is to create such a pen though. Maybe the pen that Jerry is referring to makes it easier!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, jerdunn wrote:
I've ordered Priceless and hereby offer a "logical disconnect" for anyone wanting to add a further layer of impossibility to an already baffling, beautiful (and funny) effect: Have the writing on the pad and on the tag be two different colors.

To accomplish this, you'll need to use a Chromatic pen (or any similar style that writes several colors). You'll also need to place a standard blank white sticker on the target area of the Priceless tag.

To illustrate, using a screen shot from Kyle's demo video, imagine the blank sticker where the price is written (see below).

Using different colors of ink on the pad and tag would make it impossible for a pesky, over-thinking spectator to backtrack. And for "normal" people, I think it adds an unconscious conviction that deepens the mystery. I first ran across this idea in the great Anthony Lindan / Dan Garrett effect called "Fortune and Fate," which came with a Chromatic pen that wrote blue and red.

Cheers,
Jerry

That was what I was thinking as well which is why I asked if it works with any tags- might be easier to just use a new tag per performance as they are super cheap.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
One thing about magic tricks for sale has always been the comments of "Can also be done..." but really the effect is best designed for a particular use.
I see all starting with the pad in hand. The question I did ask was is this the best way to do it or do they provide a way to be able to pull out the pad at any time and go into it when you want to, not having to be pad in hand before starting? I also don't figure you can just reset this if it is on your back. I could be wrong but the reset you Kyle is speaking of would be needed with the jacket off and you do the reset while putting it back on. Whether or it l#3ks and can be in wait was what I would need for this to be practical.

It does seem like it would hang up with a vest if not doing it on the back. ANd thus I asked if any sight lines or angles change if you do it with that method as I suspect it might.
I just need to know how practical this is so feel free to PM me.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, ashah wrote:
I had an idea similar to Jerry's where you insert the "wrong" color ink into a pen. So for example, you have a red (on the outside) pen that actually has black ink inside. Then you start the effect with something written in red on the notepad (which matches the outside of your pen) while the price on the tag appears in black. Voila, instant convincer!

I don't know how easy it is to create such a pen though. Maybe the pen that Jerry is referring to makes it easier!

This idea has been used before - with certain Confabulation routines like Cody's as I recall. Great idea.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Ashah -- Nice idea! And cheaper than buying a Chromatic pen, too.

You could probably use a Sharpie (and maybe a wet-erase marker too) by switching caps, and if needed coloring the plastic nib with the "wrong" color. I believe Brett (Saysold) is correct about Cody Fisher having employed this idea.

Cheers,
Jerry
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
199 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
I do it in the middle of my act. I pull the pad in front of everybody. No worries
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
Edgar Alstad2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad2
I have the same question as Powermagic and Themediocremagician. Does it lock? I'm using a topit in my jacket and can't take it off. Can a spectator touch the tag and read the price?
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
I don't own it (yet, it is very tempting) but I suspect that it doesn't lock while being in a position to be examined, just because most gimmicks of this type don't.
But I would be interested to know if it locks like other regular gimmicks of these types lock, so that you could do it at any moment of your show without having to fumble deep in your jacket.
Is it also comfortable to wear? It seems a little bit bulkier than I initially thought after seeing it on vid.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, VanishingInc wrote:
Hey guys

Here is a full performance and review of Pricelss

"Whatsupeverybody Kai marlere forvashinkmagk..." What?!?!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Looks fantastic!!!!
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2016, Kevin Burn wrote:
Anyone think this is too similar to "Backdate" by T.A. Waters?
Waters even suggests the following presentation at the end of his explanation:

"A patter theme I've considered would have to do with having arrived late, you didn't have time to remove the dry-cleaning tag...!"

That's remarkably similar to the price tag still being on your jacket, wouldn't you say?
Have they credited T.A. Waters and perhaps Paul Vigil's variation?

(Also, I'm mentioning this with the knowledge that the handling does appear to be superior to Water's variation)

This is quite obviously a variation of T.A. Water's effect. I HOPE he was properly credited as the originator of the effect, if not the particular presentation (which is good).
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I'm traveling and therefore away from my library at the moment but I believe that T.A. Waters credits someone else for the idea of a prediction clipped to the back of a jacket - I could absolutely be wrong though...I'll check when I return home in a couple of days.

To be blunt..."Priceless" seems like a double edged sword to me.

In one way it solves the problem of a finicky set-up and is MUCH more user friendly, BUT in another way it seems to be a step BACKWARDS in the deceptiveness of the plot. IMHO a prediction PINNED to your back appears much more convincing and organic than a large fob that only slightly (although cleverly) masks what it truly is...

There's no denying that "Priceless" boasts many advantages (both in terms of technical requirements as well as the entertainment value in the gag) but for me at least they don't outweigh the obviousity of the method...and I don't believe that I'm "thinking too much like a magician". That said, hats off to everyone who brought this product to market - it looks like a fantastic piece of kit.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
Faizimran
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Faizimran
I think its a great effect I will wait for a few reviews before I buy it but is it possible for the writing on the tag to smear while your taking the coat or jacket off?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Priceless by Michel Huot and Richard Sanders (141 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..22~23~24 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL