The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » CTW (Card Thru Window) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hey guys,

Check out CTW, my new Card Through Window effect. If anyone has any questions or comments I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Dave Forrest
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
At least to my eyes it looked exactly like John Kennedy's version and only the ending was different because the corner didn´t go through the window.
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi korttihai_82,

Thanks for posting. I don't own John Kennedy's Card thru Window nor do I know how it works but I have seen a video demo of the effect being performed. As far as I know there is very little similarity between my version and John Kennedy's. You are correct in saying that with CTW the corner does not travel through the glass at the end but the entire card does.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it (and as the video demo seems to illustrate) with John Kennedy's effect ONLY the corner travels through the glass visually, you don't actualy get to see the rest of the card travel through. With CTW, there is a definite visual aspect of the entire card penetrating the glass.

As I said I could be wrong, I don't own John Kennedy's version and I'm making some assumptions based on the video demo. Perhaps someone who owns it could clarify?

It's nice that my version and John Kennedy's are being compared though as CTW costs a fraction of the price of John's.

Anyway, thanks for posting. Keep them coming!

Yours,
Dave Forrest
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
It looks nice Dave. I also like the price range of your effect versus the other 100$ card through effects out there.

But one question, is it possible to have the card signed rather than torn?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi Eirik,

As with most Card thru Window effects, if you want the card to be signed you will need an accomplice. That having been said, CTW by its very nature has a particularly good feature that would certainly make a "signed card thru" easier. If you consider that there is tape obscuring a large part of the card before it travels through the glass, then I'm sure you'll see what I mean. This very topic is actually covered in the CTW literature incidentally.

Thanks for your interest Eirik. If you have any other questions or comments feel free to PM/e-mail me.

Yours,
Dave Forrest.
thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Can I ask you about the price difference between some of the different variations of Card thru Window? Is it the cost of the gimmick or do the magicians who sell them jack up the price to limit the amount being sold?
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi thk5353,

I'm afraid I don't have a direct answer to your question because I don't own anyone elses version so I don't know what you get with them as far as gimmicks are concerned.

John Kennedy's website offers replacement parts for his version for around $10, so it seems the initial 'secret' is what you are paying for.

Likewise with CTW. It is the instructions to make the gimmicks that I am selling. The actual materials themselves are nothing special at all. I've tried to reflect the fact that you will have to actually make the gimmicks in the price. And, I think the price is fair because the effect is stunning and the construction process is by no means difficult.

It is possible that the price hike on other versions in the genre is to stop the merely curious from purchasing it just to find out the secret. I really don't imagine anyone other than a serious magician actually buying illusion plans alone to satisfy their curiosity so I don't have to charge an inordinate amount to keep it out of curious hands.

Thats the way I see it anyway.

Thanks for taking an interest,

Yours,

Dave Forrest.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Dave, I PM'ed you.
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Thanks Larry,

I've PM'ed you back!

Cheers,

Dave.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Dave,

I bought this from you and as I do not have any other card through window effects I cannot comment on it in relation to any others, however I can say that I am extremely pleased with my purchase and will definately be using it.

Thank you for an affordable method for this effect.
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi salsa_dancer,

Thankyou very much for your kind comments. It's great to hear positive things about CTW.

I'm glad to hear that you are pleased and that you will be using it.

Thanks again,

Dave Forrest.
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
The Radiohead soundtrack makes me want to buy this Smile
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<It is possible that the price hike on other versions in the genre is to stop the merely curious from purchasing it>>

You are correct! I have bought many different methods, and although I only have an IDEA how yours (Dave Forrest) works, I can tell you John Kennedy's is different.

As with ANY card thru window, each has it's own pros and cons. For the price, I will be ordering yours. I believe it may have solves a personal dilemma for me. If not, at least give me an answer to what I have been looking for!

Taking my que from Larry Davidson, I've PM'd you as well. Looking forward to it!
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi Roya,

Yes, Radiohead are a fantastic band. That track on the demo in particular seems to fit well with the effect of CTW.

Deception Guy,
I have e-mailed you. Thanks for taking an interest.

Yours,
Dave Forrest.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Dave,

Can you price this a bit higher please as I think you are not charging enough for it.

Make it around £15-£20 and it will still be good value for money.

We don't want EVERYONE using it!! lol
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi salsa_dancer,

That's very flattering. Thankyou again.

I had initially considered a slightly higher price tag but because you do have to make the gimmicks yourself and it is in electronic form I lowered it a little. It may one day see booklet form and maybe then will be priced slightly higher, I'll see how things go.

Thanks for the support,

Yours,
Dave.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the duct tape.

Like Matt Bich's Erazer trick... something about tape and cards together seems to connect.

Looks good.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Thanks Jonathan, glad you like it.

I'm not familiar with Matt Bich's Erazer trick. Would you describe it for us?

Thanks,

Dave.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This is a bit off topic for CTW;

Here is a link to Matt's site and his demos for his goodies.

Erazed is there, and you might like the STARS trick too.

http://www.mathieubich.com/page_generales/magiciens/demo.htm

Again, something about duct tape and cards for outside and electrical tape for indoor card magic. Go figure. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brian H
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Brian H
Hi Dave,

I happen to have a Card Thru Window effect using tapes just like yours. However, in my version the corner goes through the window first, and the card follows without any cover. The effect ends everything outside the window cleanly. I looked your video several times and I think my gimmick should not be similar to yours (though I'm not 100% sure). I'm still refining my whole routine and planning to publish it in the near future. Let me know if you want to know more about my version.

Cheers,

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » CTW (Card Thru Window) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL