The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The end of my Rope Trick. Chris Philpott (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thank you, Alex! It's interesting to me how many mentalists have taken to this effect. Maybe it's the because rope magic lends itself so well to metaphorical presentations that it becomes as much a magic of the mind as it is eye candy. Or maybe just because I'm better known among mentalists.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Could you do this trick and then go into an effect like Whit Hayden's Mongolian Pop Knot routine?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2016, Kaliix wrote:
Could you do this trick and then go into an effect like Whit Hayden's Mongolian Pop Knot routine?

I was thinking just the opposite.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
If you're think of just the opposite meaning to do the Mongolian Pop Knot first and follow up with this effect... that would not work as you'd have to ditch something first and the rope would not be long enough.
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Not true, Ron. You can indeed perform Pop's Mongolian Pop Knot routine after The End of my Rope. The things you mentioned shouldn't be a problem.

Jim
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

A very cool idea Kaliix! I love Pop's routine and I can see how they would go well together: both effects use a long piece of rope, the length of Pop's rope would work with this and the different methods should make everything even more impenetrable.

You could do EOMRT before, after or even in the middle of Mongolian Pop Knot -- let me run through the scenarios.

EOMRT then MPK: logistically, this is easy -- you can go straight from EOMRT straight into Pop's routine. The only issue might be that EOMRT is so big and flashy it seems like a finale, but I think this could be mitigated with proper framing and I think Pop's presentation lends itself to this. Pop presents his routine as an offer to teach the audience how a magic trick is done. In this case, instead of introducing that premise from the beginning, you could perform EOMRT first, then ask if they'd like to know how it was done. "Well, to teach it, I'm going to have to slow it waaaay down." Then go into the knots claiming you had to tie a whole bunch of Mongolian Pop Knots with great rapidity using "the hand is quicker than the eye method". The absurdity of that claim seems of a piece with Pop's routine. Pop's next phase, the Professor's Nightmare sequence, could be a continuation of the premise, slowing it down even more so that you can actually see the ropes transform (the stretching) before the final restoration.

EOMRT as the middle phase of MPK: again, this is logistically simple. Do the first phase of Pop's routine (a single cut) then do EOMRT (multiple cuts) and then offer to slow it down and do the final phase of Pop's routine, (Professor's Nightmare), before once again restoring the rope.

MPK then EOMRT: I'm going to have to be a little more circumspect here to avoid exposure, but those who know Pop's routine will know the state of affairs at the end makes going directly into this a tad challenging. But using the "attention drops at the perceived end" principle, and doing a move similar to the one that allows you to climax a chop cup routine by having it filled with liquid, you could indeed go from MPK to EOMRT (hope that's clear but not too clear). Pop bunches up his rope at the end, but in this case, I'd coil it, then do the "funny business", and now you can display the clean coil once again and go straight into the cutting, ending totally clean (as you began). You're scripting could be something like, "But sometimes if the rope is cut too many times, you don't have time to tie all those Mongolian Pop Knots. In these situations you can resort to the Mongolian Coil..." It would make a very fast and dramatic climax.

Thoughts?

If anyone has any other rope routines they do and are wondering if they'd work with EOMRT, post away!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This looks like it has flavors of the Bill Neff "Miracle Rope" trick (a visual cut and restored rope trick) manufactured and sold by Abbott's Magic.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Jim, That's what I as referring to if you re-read my statement. Doing the Pop Knot AFTER not before.
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Looks just great. Will any of the variations lend it self to a great close up routine? E.g. the version with the streamer if the space allows for it?

Jan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ron, true, but my answer would have been the same. I have both effects and, as Chris explained above, neither trick interferes with the other. I haven't performed them together though. Good idea!

Jim
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Bill, I haven't seen Bill Neff's "Miracle Rope" (I couldn't find a video online), but the routines sound very cool and the two routines might complement each other well.

Hey Jan, there are several close up variations on the DVD -- cut and restored string, cut and restored string of pearls -- as well as three ways to adapt the basic methodology to a ring on string routine -- you thread string through the ring four times really attaching it firmly to the ring then pulling it off. Doing it with party streamers is very pretty and can be done close up though probably standing (they tend to billow rather than soar when they restore). Mouth coils or ribbon would work as well.

Ron and Jim, I'm excited about the idea of combining Pop Hayden's Mongolian Pop Knot with EOMRT -- if there is anyone who doesn't know Pop's brilliant routine, you can see the video (posted here with Pop's permission) and get a copy on his website here: http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p12/Pop_H......VD_.html .
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Chris,

You're a writer, you should know better.

The whole premise of Pop's routine is that in order to put the rope back together again you MUST tie a Mongolian Pop Knot, to which you sprinkle Magic Pixie Dust and voilà.

The Professors Nightmare sequence is an illustration of troubleshooting the effect should you mess up.

Introducing End of My Rope anywhere into Pop's routine negates the whole premise.

Does the coin disappear or turn invisible, pick one, it can't do both.

Congrats on your release, it looks amazing. I'll be sure to pick it up and hopefully add it to my act.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The premise can be whatever the performer wants it to be. I can think of several ways to work it into the routine and have it make sense.

Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Mac_Stone wrote:
Chris,

You're a writer, you should know better.

The whole premise of Pop's routine is that in order to put the rope back together again you MUST tie a Mongolian Pop Knot, to which you sprinkle Magic Pixie Dust and voilà.

The Professors Nightmare sequence is an illustration of troubleshooting the effect should you mess up.

Introducing End of My Rope anywhere into Pop's routine negates the whole premise.

Does the coin disappear or turn invisible, pick one, it can't do both.

Congrats on your release, it looks amazing. I'll be sure to pick it up and hopefully add it to my act.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, Mac. Gotta agree with Kaliix -- the performer dictates the premise and sets the rules of his universe. Certainly there is nothing in Pop's initial premise -- that the Mongolian Pop Knot restores a cut rope -- that suggests the ropes can instantly change lengths or be stretched back to their original lengths. Pop justifies moving into this new direction by introducing a new rule to his universe: that the pieces must be exactly the same length or the Pop Knot will not work (a classic second act complication. btw, in movies, the midpoint of the story often marks an abrupt change of direction, and sure enough in Pop's routine, he moves into Professor's Nightmare at almost exactly the midpoint of the routine.)

Using the same strategy of adding rules (the ropes must be equal in length), problems (they aren't!) and solutions (I will make them the same length!) you can add another phase if you'd like to. Perhaps, the new complication is, "But sometimes the rope is cut in so many places, that you have neither the space nor time to tie all those Mongolian Pop Knots. In this case, you must use the Mongolian Zen Pop Knot. You tie the knots in your mind!" Then after staring at the cut ends and saying Om, you toss the ropes into the air, restored! That's just one possible way to do it.

It occurs to me it might also be possible to have some knots fly off as you toss the rope (using a pre-knotted gimmick). Could be cool.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Just got an email from Daryl (who is of course a modern giant of rope magic). Here's the comment he gave me:

"It's a great effect and method and I've never seen anything like it before!" - Daryl

Thank you, Daryl!
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Might get it then, been meaning to lern a string trick for ages is it hard?
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2016, Karl M wrote:

You know ... Speaking and writing is actually very hard to learn ... Yet you mastered it .

So ... This is definitely considered manageable , no difficult moves and I've used it several times enjoyably ~
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. I would like to add this to my close up and parlour sessions. Will you release the effect through magic dealers in Europe? Packages from the USA to DK tends to be delayed in customs and added a huge extra fee in customs handling and VAT.

Br

Jan
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Hey Jan --

Yes, it will soon be available at Magic Dealers in Europe -- it's being distributed by Murphy's.

I'll be at Magic Live -- I may even do this once or twice. Smile

-Chris
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2016, Legendary Wizard wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2016, Karl M wrote:

You know ... Speaking and writing is actually very hard to learn ... Yet you mastered it .

I smell some irony. Lovely.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The end of my Rope Trick. Chris Philpott (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL