The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A New Low (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2016, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, ZachDavenport wrote:
Have you never heard the phrase "This is where the magic happens"? Its fairly common.

Exactly -- when suggesting that something impossible or unexpected is about to apparently occur.
For mayonnaise to turn brown when heated is simple science - no mystery, no illusion -- certainly no magic.

It can also mean something "wondrous" is about to happen. That certainly matches both the browning of mayonnaise AND the amazing conclusion of a magic show. Let's be honest, if you break everything down to its physical reality, no actual "magic" happens in a magic show either.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:

It can also mean something "wondrous" is about to happen. That certainly matches both the browning of mayonnaise AND the amazing conclusion of a magic show. Let's be honest, if you break everything down to its physical reality, no actual "magic" happens in a magic show either.

It would seem you prove my original point -- people today equate "wondrous" and even "magical" with "magic" as a demonstration of the impossible that has not rational explanation.

The term has been so conflated and watered down that a typical spectator doesn't know what to expect when you offer to perform a magic effect.

And I totally disagree with the last part. Definitional, of course, but magic happens all the time as a result of our defying the impossible in a theatrical way.
I have helped hundreds of business owner overcome problem in their business (considered impossible) by including magic tricks in my presentations.

Others have provided similar stories -- lives changed in positive ways because of performance magic.

Check with the Vanishing Wheel Chair Project. Persons with disabilities developing entirely new skills and life attitude because of magic.

The results are "physical" and the parents readily say "magic happened." They don't say that about burned bread.

I can live with people calling a cleaning product 'amazing" and even "magical." My objection is their saying "here the magic happens" - big difference for me.

If I accepted your statement then the ad is a lie -- since magic never happens, why do they claim it? But, people do think magic can happen - so it is real. Just not in this ad.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A New Low (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL