The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Box like "Color Vision" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I'm looking to buy or construct a wooden box that will hold a 7/8" cube without it rattling around inside. A box like the one used in "Color Vision"

http://www.magictricks.com/color-vision.html

Is what I'm after, but not in junky plastic. Nicely finished wood or some other quality material is a must.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
812 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Well something that small is going to be a little hard for the average home shop to turn out. The smaller things get the harder they are to get right. If you bought the material in the right thickness say 1/8" thick to start it would cut down on a lot of the needed tools. I would cut the 1/8" stock on a table saw with a board clamped to the fence pushed down to the table so it cant slip under the fence while ripping it.Rip the material to width in 12'strips. Now glue your strips up into a square tube and plug one end with a square cut from one of the strips on a hand miter box with fine blade. Now is when you are glad you have a long tube to hold on to as you cut the plugged end off in the miter box to make the box with the bottom in place. Make the lid the same way. you can make several boxes with you tubes. line with peel and stick velvet.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19573 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure one of the miniature wood magic craftsman make or can make what you are desiring. The truth is, are you willing to pay the price. Many of these collectible cost in excess of a $100. If you are planning to actually use it, many of today's youth and people in there 20's and 30's believe plastic is the norm, they have not seen much of anything made in wood. So they would not appreciate seeing or handling a fine piece of wood.

Most of these guys do not advertise, maybe you can find out about them with some searching on the Café. I have run across 3 craftsman, but did not make note of them.

You can buy pre cut maple, oak, etc. in 3" by 24" strips at Home Improvement Centers like Lowe's and Menard's in the U.S. That will make a lot of the pre work already done for you. A hobby miter box and an X-acto saw is all you need, besides good sand paper and varnish. The hardest part is getting it square, and you may have to make a jig squaring device.

I have an original Color Vision by Adams, it has a silver wood block, with recessed metal color spots, and it come with a blue plastic box, all for a $1.00. This was in the 1960's. Since then, they come with a cardboard cube with printed shape of faded color, for $5.00.

Good luck, and post a picture here on the Café of your finished product, it would be interesting to see.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4237 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This prop has been produced by many great shops and craftsmen in wood over the years, including Viking Magic ( http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/men......ing-mfg/ ), Mikame ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11229 ), Clarence Miller ( http://www.ktmagic.com/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=7020 ), and Michael Baker who frequents the Café. Recently, I am completely enamored by these three versions by Hand Crafted Miracles...( http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/clo......miracles ) ( http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/clo......miracles ) and ( http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/clo......miracles ). They are simply stunning to see, hold, and perform with. My only comment (as it's not really a complaint) is that these three versions are larger than the plastic props we've been used to. So, there have been some clever spinning displays developed to show the box normal even with the lid in the special position, that are more difficult with these larger boxes. Other than that, this prop has never looked better.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
716 Posts

Profile of lin
Thanks WoOz, I enjoyed looking at the cube variations.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
812 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Oh those vision cubes by Hand crafted miracles are so cool. I have the jeweled version. The detail is just incredible. The tiny finger joints that join the box together are just one of the details that make them so special. Of course its all done with laser cutting so out of the question for small shops like mine.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2396 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Some great examples, I like the Clarence Miller variation which I believe was a Ronald Dayton idea. First saw that in the Miller Book. Adds a layer of deception.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11549 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Some beautiful boxes. Ungimmicked sometimes the best. I still have the original toy box but no cube lol....moved onto gimmicks but may have to pick up one of these....George has some beautiful stuff. Thanks OZ!
Dannicus
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego Ca.
500 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Hi,
Dan here with Handcrafted Miracles. We make the Vision Cubes mentioned above. I'd be happy to help if you would like. We can make it finished or even design and laser cut the parts and send them to you in a DIY kit so you can finish it if you want. I have a full wood shop so if you prefer non finger joints I can do tables parts as well. I am in San Diego Ca.

You can contact me through my website at www.handcraftedmiracles.com

Best regards,
Dan
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
4237 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This effect can be a bit meandering since it has no real finish, so I like to reveal two selections by the spectator, and then tell him to put his selection face down in the box for the final reveal. Obviously the peek is the same, you just need to memorize what color or symbol is opposite on each side of the cube. Whether deliberate or not, Handcrafted Miracles made this very easy to accomplish with this box http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/clo......miracles . The symbols that oppose each other share some interesting characteristics, so it is very simple to do this third phase. Plus, I love the theme of this version simply due to the history of ESP research, and the well-known Zener cards ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_cards ). Could this box have been one of the tools used in that research?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11549 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2016, Wizard of Oz wrote:
This effect can be a bit meandering since it has no real finish, so I like to reveal two selections by the spectator, and then tell him to put his selection face down in the box for the final reveal. Obviously the peek is the same, you just need to memorize what color or symbol is opposite on each side of the cube. Whether deliberate or not, Handcrafted Miracles made this very easy to accomplish with this box http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/clo......miracles . The symbols that oppose each other share some interesting characteristics, so it is very simple to do this third phase. Plus, I love the theme of this version simply due to the history of ESP research, and the well-known Zener cards ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_cards ). Could this box have been one of the tools used in that research?

Wow, thanks OZ...you have revitalized my vintage interest in this! I love the look of the these boxes, especially the gem one too! I love ESP effects having spent a lot of time at Duke University in my youth.....
Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11004 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2016, Dannicus wrote:
Hi,
Dan here with Handcrafted Miracles. We make the Vision Cubes mentioned above. I'd be happy to help if you would like. We can make it finished or even design and laser cut the parts and send them to you in a DIY kit so you can finish it if you want. I have a full wood shop so if you prefer non finger joints I can do tables parts as well. I am in San Diego Ca.

You can contact me through my website at www.handcraftedmiracles.com

Best regards,
Dan

That's some mighty fine work there, Dan! Much respect!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6138 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I remember selling those original blue plastic boxes, with the wooden block and the metal circles. IIRC, "Color Vision" was first produced by Sam Adams in the '50s.

One of the presentation "bits", was, we would set the box on the counter, so that one of the other demonstrators was able to see the "necessary", and tell the customer the color!

S.S. Adams, owned a YACHT, that he christened "THE BUZZER". --He had made, and sold, enough "Joy Buzzers" (@ $.25 each) to buy a (big!) YACHT!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Veteran user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
392 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I think finger joints would look nice on a box this size and in opposing wood colors. I think it could be done with a table saw and band saw fairly easily.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19573 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Someone mentioned that Color Vision does not have a finish or finale to the mind reading effect. Isn't the reveal the finale? This is where a person has to look at the effect, and not the trick and secret. A magician has to tell the audience that it is the end of the trick. This is where showmanship and scripting come into play even with a very simple effect. A magician has to go beyond the secret and working, and create wonder and puzzlement in every effect he choses to present.

If a person has a causal attitude toward the effect, so will the spectator's watching. So give the routine some thought, and work on a presentation.

Even the late great card expert Ed Marlo created a different handling for Color Vision.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Special user
Today I wrote
562 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I've used this for light, simple, color readings in the past. Participant chooses a color that best defines their mood at the time and closes it in the box.

A simple reading based on the color they chose is given, and ends with the reveal - proving that your reading was accurate.

I'm sure that others have done the same.
www.curiousmiracles.com

"And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music..." - Nietzsche

"I'd like to try and make the world a BETTER place, not a BITTER place." - Me Smile
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1149 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
This is my first offering, the first if a series I hope. The alchemy theme used with kind permission of Paul Kostrach, whose Philosopher's Cube is available through Alchemy Moon.

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/products......t-s-cube
Dr. O
View Profile
New user
NC
18 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I have one of the Alchemist's Cubes and it is a fine piece. Nice workmanship.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
4237 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Me too Dr. O. I love it. Mr. Charisse and Gemini Artifacts continue to turn out consistent winners.

If you scroll up you'll read how I like to finish this effect by having the final selection be put face down in the box. You just need to memorize what drawing is opposite of each, and voila! I noticed enough similarities between Marc's opposite facing illustrations that one could fairly easily memorize the order.
Dr. O
View Profile
New user
NC
18 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
A most excellent twist which adds another layer to the mystery. Thanks Wizard.!
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1149 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The images on the cube were placed in pairs to facilitate that. PM me for details.
Marc
Dr. O
View Profile
New user
NC
18 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
PM sent and answered. Thanks Marc!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Box like "Color Vision" (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL