The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » It's mean to the animal (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello. I was thinking about breeding rabbits to use in shows as I will breeding them for meat anyways. Do you ever get people that are really against using animals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In the U.S., using and wearing real fur of any kind is looked down on, and you will certainly hear the people against it. They use to throw blood on people wearing fur.

It is hard to tell them that rabbits were killed for food, as there are those that are against killing animals to eat.

The rabbit foot use to be a "lucky" novelty to have. Even that has disappeared from American society.

My mother always said, that tame rabbit was bad tasting compared to wild rabbit. In America, rabbit is not a common food to eat.

Chicken, fish, beef, and pork are the main meat products in America to eat. Hunters also hunt and eat deer. Other hunters may eat other animals, but that is not the norm or acceptable in America.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You can expect criticism from the general public but more importantly from PETA. Before doing anything with rabbits where for meat of performing, you might want to read this topic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13

There are a lot of requirements
Where the magic begins
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Having used animals in my show for over 35 years, I can tell you its a very small minority that is offended or has any problem with using animals in a show.
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:

Apparently so, but my only requirement is to treat the animal well and with respect. I really think people can sense how you treat an animal just by the body language you use.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. Bill I had never heard wild rabbit taste better. I'm a man from the hills and have always heard it the other way. Down here we hunt and eat everything from squirrels to pole cat. My family settled this part of missouri and Howell county is actually named after us. We have always farmed and been good to our animals. It's funny but in good times rabbits are pets and bad they are food. I'm glad to hear people don't frown on it to much. Was thinking of raising Florida Whites to serve both purposes or would a New Zealand Whites not be to big.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, Ken Northridge wrote:
Having used animals in my show for over 35 years, I can tell you its a very small minority that is offended or has any problem with using animals in a show.
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:

Apparently so, but my only requirement is to treat the animal well and with respect. I really think people can sense how you treat an animal just by the body language you use.

It's not the people you are performing for, it's the animal agencies as outlined in the topic I linked to. Birds, dogs and such are not as controlled as rabbits.

Quote:
Was thinking of raising Florida Whites to serve both purposes or would a New Zealand Whites not be to big.

I'm a dove guy and haven't used rabbits very much but from what I've read, New Zealand whites range 4-6 pounds. I believe most magicians use Netherland Dwarf rabbits as they are usually 2 1/2 - 3 pounds and fit quite nicely in magic props. There are exceptions but the dwarf fits most applications.
Where the magic begins
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

The Florida Whites are like that
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I assume you mean they are small like Netherland Dwarfs. Just be sure to check out all the regulations for raising rabbits regardless of what you are using them for. The link I provided is pretty informative.
Where the magic begins
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

The regulations are extremely lax where I live. In missouri you can actually butcher and sell your own rabbits from home
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK, you know best about your area but the rabbit regulations are Federal and not state driven
Where the magic begins
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I always ask if there are restrictions regarding the use of animals as I'm booking the show. Generally, my patrons are more concerned with health codes and allergies than animal cruelty. True, that's likely to come from other sources (e.g., PETA), but I've been fortunate enough to not have run afoul of any of them (knock wood)
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The people booking the show usually aren't aware of the legal restrictions. It's just a chance you take if you haven't done all the due diligence. As far as I know, these restrictions only apply to rabbits.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » It's mean to the animal (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL