The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How do I approach people? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daston
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Daston
I walk up, introduce myself, and offer a business card. It helps to have a regular gig like a restaurant and invite them to see you perform. I like to offer a quick demo of what I do and play it by ear when to quit. I usually don't show more than three effects. You know you have done well when they show up with friends at your gig.
Vitas White
View Profile
New user
Boston
51 Posts

Profile of Vitas White
This might sound trivial but depending on the area, you might want to emphasize that you don't expect any money after your performance (unless of course, you do!). I find that often times people will avoid me on the streets of New York or Boston for fear of me panhandling. I find when I approach people and say "excuse me, are you guys interested in seeing some magic? I'm not looking for any tips, just a chance to show off some of my skills..." I get a lot more positive responses!
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic at its core.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
110 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Without offending or bothering the people on the street, the idea is to:
Just START your act. Pick a spot where people are passing by and can SEE YOU and you'll have enough room, IF a group gathers.
Then, just start doing your thing.
You can even pretend to talk to "an invisible audience." (when no one is there yet.)
or play music on a small boombox or portable battery powered amp.
Just get into it.
People will stop to watch if they are not in a hurry.
Start with tricks that do NOT require any audience participation.
ONCE you have a small group watching . . . THEN . . . you can do any Audience participant tricks.

I would NEVER just walk up to strangers and ask to DO a trick.
There are all kinds of people out there. (Do you want to get beat up or stabbed ???)
Some are in the middle of a drug transaction or making plans. . . or talking to a girlfriend.
Some people that APPEAR to be doing nothing . . are Just Thinking. Contemplating.
Writing notes in their head. Going over lines they have to memorize for a play.

Once you have a small group gathered, (on their own accord)
then you can Go with the flow and do things they might be interested in or your pre-planned act.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
110 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
IF . . . you want to do DOZENS of shows - demonstrations of your magical skill per day
you can get a couple hundred dollars worth of magic (at wholesale) that is easy to show-demonstrate and include some of your skills that are NOT sold with the product and get a booth, kiosk, in a well traveled place: Flea market, mall, airport lobby, balloon festival, state fair, etc.
And. . . have 3 or 4 COMMON and under $20. type magic tricks you can demo and sell all day long.
Like . . D'lites, misers dream cups/glasses (adding in your own special coin skills), Half dollar stuff, shrinking half dollar to miniature coin IN THEIR OWN HANDS, etc. (Miniature coins cost wholesale about 30 cents each . .)
And Show and sell these pre-packaged tricks with instructions all day long for dozens and dozens of people.
Making double or 3 times what you paid for these tricks at wholesale.
Generally, common stuff . .coins, miser's dream glasses-cups, (makes noise too), flash paper, Flipper coins, shell coin tricks, stripper decks-cards, STUFF that plays big but is for common person (not regular magicians) .
Any way, you'll get LOTS of practice performing to hundreds of strangers.
And you get paid a little as the day goes by.
To buy wholesale, usually minimum dollar amount is $100. per order. Plus shipping.
Try: . . . EZ Magic D. Robbins to buy wholesale.

For instance: When doing miser's dream you can add your own slights and coin catches (to make it SUPER Spectacular . .) . . but sell them the basic product.

Excellent practice . . . all day long.

Some time back, when D'lites were new. . . . .Even Rocco has been seen selling his d'lites in a kiosk at an airport for some extra "change."

You can put your Special Spin on whatever you are selling to make it GREAT !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How do I approach people? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL