The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Why am I sitting in a park, surrounded by people hunting Pokemons typing a review in my phone? Because it's just not right to have just read something this good, this diabolically clever...this complete mastery of word smithing and keep it to myself.

This is the propless miracle so many new offerings are trying to be.

What is it? A sure fire never miss method for winning ANY 50/50 bet. I mean simply that it can't miss. Your spectator can choose any pair of things: shapes, celebrities, seasons, colors...ANYTHING.

Let's say they choose shapes. You take a piece of paper and secretly draw a shape on it. You give it to your spectator and have him place his hand on top of it. You never touch it again. You ask him to name either of two shapes (circle or triangle for example) and as HE unfolds the paper it provides proof that that you did, indeed,know which choice he was going to make before he did. And it simply cannot miss. Ever.

I don't want to risk revealing the method by describing more detail. So I won't.

This isn't a basic bar bet either. Rowland has created a pro worthy routine that, in the proper hands, will create a literal onstage miracle. I'm excited about this...really excited. I know it's a great design because my mind is already bubbling over with different ways this system can be used.

I am not sure it's a good bet for mentalists who are newer to the art. I suspect the effect is much stronger with solid audience management and absolute stage control. But I am betting it's going to be like no prop napalm in the right hands.

It costs the equivalent of 27 American dollars .but I think it would be cheap at five times the price because this lovely idea is something I'm going to USE. It's really that good. To be clear: I don't know Ian personally, although I respect his work. I bought my copy. I've read it twice now (it's an eBook of less than 40 pages) and I cannot detect a single flaw in the script or effect design.

As far as I am concerned...50:50 Fantasia is the best mentalism release of the year. And it's been a very good year.

5 billets out of 5 from me.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Super... could you post a link?

Where could we buy it?
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Thanks Dr. Rob... I have just taken it!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Terrific stuff. When Mr Rowland notifies me of something new I always know it's going to be worthwhile. And this certainly is exceptionally worthwhile.

I DOUBLE what David said up above.
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
It is really good and strong material if you are able to use it in the right way!

Thanks for the hints... I like it!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Oh, wow... wow. Maybe I'm biased because I generally love most of what Ian puts out, but this piece is just insane. David, many thanks for bringing it to our attention. Wow. They literally choose one of two things, anything, and you are clearly and unequivocally correct. Don't know what to say about this, except it is one of the best impromptu miracles I've ever read. I'm blown away at how good this is.

When he first described the basic structure, the framework, of what is going on, I pursed my lips and went, "Hmmm. Intriguing, but..." I still needed to be sold. Then he went through the actual routine, with examples for both stage and close-up impromptu (essentially the same), and my mouth opened in awe. And I went, "Oh. My. God." I was definitely sold.

Ian says he's been using this for 15 years, and it shows in the book. It's pretty much perfect, as far as I can tell. It is extremely well thought out and polished, while not being complex, which is pretty much signature Ian. And if you think a single 50/50 chance is boring, well... you're in for quite a shock! There is humor and pulse-pounding suspense built in.

I'll stop gushing and just agree with what David and others have said. This is a keeper that I will use, and one of the best things to come around in a LONG time.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I am very grateful for all your kind words. I put a lot of work in developing and refining 50:50 Fantasia, so it's very gratifying to know that some of you seem to like it.

May I offer just one fun additional idea for people who want to use this principle?

We all know that 'humor' and 'fun' are very subjective terms. This may or may not appeal to you, but I'll offer it anyway.

Sometimes, when I perform 50:50, I deliberately present a choice between two really weird items that obviously have no connection at all. For example, I'll hand the spectator a piece of folded black card. I say, 'Inside this card is a picture. It's either two kittens on a skateboard, or the front cover of a washing machine manual'. The general idea is to make the two items as inherently absurd, unlikely and completely unrelated as possible, just to give the item a slightly surreal, strange, 'Pythonesque' quality.

Another example. 'Inside this card is a drawing I did this morning. It's either a simple cartoon of Donald Trump with toothache, or a schematic diagram of a flying saucer for very heavy, overweight aliens'. And take it from there.

I know this won't appeal to everyone. Like I said, 'funny' is very subjective. I just wanted to make the point that, unlike all the examples in the booklet, the two choices can be silly, surreal and absurd.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
OMG what more can I add to what has already been said firstly I can understand why this is geared towards a professional Mentalist only as these are the ones with the goods required to put forward as collateral towards the bet.

It's virtually the cleanest 50/50 procedure you will ever find.

So many variations are possible as they say in every sales post it's only limited by your imagination (Can't believe I've said that again too)

Please Ian put a limit on the amount on downloads you are selling to keep the secret mega secret.
I know if you do this you don't make as much money but I would hate to see it appear in a torrent!!

Did it this morning and no I'm still here.

Regards
Dr Rob
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Ian,

IT states on your web site that it cannot be repeated in a close-up setting and that it can only be done one time at the venue. So if I did this at a table, and someone says do it again, I would not be able to do it again even using a different name, color or drawing on the paper?

Thank you.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, magicinsight wrote:
Ian, IT states on your web site that it cannot be repeated in a close-up setting and that it can only be done one time at the venue. So if I did this at a table, and someone says do it again, I would not be able to do it again even using a different name, color or drawing on the paper?

You are correct. As stated on my website in the description, you would only use '50:50 Fantasia' once per venue or engagement. This item is most useful for impromptu performances or stage/cabaret. If you mainly do close-up work and what some people refer to as 'table hopping', this item maybe won't be much use to you in the sense that you wouldn't use it serially, at table after table. However, it would work very well as a 'something special' item you save to perform once for the top table at the event or for a VIP guest. I hope this answers your question.

http://www.thecoldreadingconnection.com/50-50-fantasia/
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I bought this and, based on one reading so far, I can join the enthusiasm train in support of this effect--with the acknowledged one-time limitation that Ian just explained.

The advertising copy may not be 100% accurate. In the list of things that the effect does NOT rely on-- such as gimmicks, moves, slights, forces, equivoque, stooges, dual reality, and extra-purchases, some readers will interpret the actual methodology to involve a variation of one or two of those things.

Ian is the regular writer for the "Loving Mentalism" column in Magic Magazine. Readers will find the same clear and engaging writing in this ebook.

George
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
George, do you mean you may need a paper and pencil or pen? Don't answer I already own it. Personally the not 100% accurate may need be 100% accurate.

But let's leave it there out of respect for Ian.

THis is a great effect that amateurs could effectively screw up royally if they do not study the routine properly. That's all I see.

George let's meet up at mindvention.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I picked this up a few days ago. It is absolutely brilliant. What makes this effect so powerful is it's simplicity. This is minimalist and super clean. This is an effect you can genuinely perform completely impromptu, do it anywhere, anytime. It's one of those effects that you really don't want to share with your fellow mentalists, it's too good. Perform it and walk away. Thanks to Ian, it's his meticulous attention to detail that makes it all possible.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
My friends, let's please not have this thread, like so many Magic Café threads, veer in the direction of the how and the method. '50:50 Fantasia' is a delicate little secret. You can expose the BASIC secret in a couple of sentences. I'm hoping I can share my work with you all without this happening.

George, I'm truly sorry you don't think my description is accurate, but I think it is. I stand by every word on my website. 50:50 Fantasia doesn't use any of the methods that I say it doesn't use. By all means let's chat about it: ian@ianrowland.com .

I have tried to bend over backwards to be fair about this item. I have gone the extra mile NOT to encourage sales for the sake of sales. I have discouraged less experienced performers from buying it. I have told the close-up guys the truth, that they won't be using this all evening, table after table. I'm trying to be fair and honest. So far, it seems, people seem to like what they get when they purchase this. I hope this continues.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Newcastle railway station. A seasoned performer sitting open-mouthed with a single red playing card in front of him, the spectators with their heads in their hands, and Ian scooping up his watch, phone, and all the cash on the table and returning it to his wallet. I wish I had had a camera to capture that moment. I've known about this effect for some time, as Ian was kind enough to show it to me many years ago. So, to all those people who keep messaging me on FB and asking questions about this, here is the answer: Just get it! And thank you to those who listened to me and came back to thank me for that one piece of advice! If somebody asks me to "do something", this is what I perform. I might have a NW in my pocket, or ESP cards. Or billets - doesn't matter. THIS is what I perform. Every time. Not only is it clever, but it is fun to perform - the only difficult part is stopping myself from looking smug as I go through the performance.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Hi Ian:

I like your work, and I regard your description as essentially accurate. I was only reflecting on how some mentalists might frame the methodology from their knowledge and experience in the field. I will be more specific in a pm, but am content to leave it and am more than content to perform it--when I am ready!

George
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Ian and I have talked via pm's, and I am now satisfied that the ad's claim that 20/20 involves no gimmicks etc. is precisely accurate.

Also, in the Café's spirit of "magicians helping magicians," I have spent more time with the ebook and can now say: IF you want a splendid one-timer effect AND you have enough performing bravado, this will be the best 20 pounds you have spent in a long time.

Oh, a belated thanks to David for alerting us to this unusual opportunity.

George
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just purchased it. I did not see a link to download the ebook. Will a link be sent to my email address?

Thank you.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Michael -- please contact me by email and I'll be happy to make sure you get what you paid for! ian@ianrowland.com

Regards,
- Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL