The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, January wrote:
I never really repeat anything unless that's built in to the structure of the effect and somehow makes it stronger.

Exactly. Very well put.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2017, January wrote:
Yeah, I never really repeat anything unless that's built in to the structure of the effect and somehow makes it stronger. As Cassidy says, regardless of your performance style, building an authoritative persona is mostly necessary part of the mentalists character. Otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of your audience, which is hardly the vibe you want to give off.

Agreed.

I think it's worth to mention the reasons, as a few fellows apparently don't see this perspective:

It's not about repeating the effect. It's about presenting for an audience with spectators who already saw it in another performance.

I also perform effects that cannot be immediately repeated... those that might need a reset for example (and a good amount of those are among my favorites).

But once per engagement is different. I just don't feel comfortable with it because I can't control exactly if everybody in the show is watching that performance for the first time, or not. I think I could add time up to the point where they forget what happened, but memory can be subjective and this would already make me uncomfortable in presentation. There are a couple other reasons, but I don't want to get technical here. I think this can be a gem for a lot of people, but I don't feel it is for me in particular.

I'm sure the value of this effect will not only be the method, but also the script and the ideas.
Ian Rowland is a true gentleman and an awesome mentalist. I wish him nothing but success with it. He deserves.

Cheers,

Max Hazy
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
RealityRocks
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of RealityRocks
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, Max Hazy wrote:
I'm sure the value of this effect will not only be the method, but also the script and the ideas.

The value of 50:50 is mainly the principle that Ian shared with us (IMHO). This is not just a method. When I read it the first time, it reminded me of another subtlety that Looch teaches for his coinfabulation Routine in the Black Project. Ian just took it a step further, or maybe into a totally different direction, not sure how to describe it, especially without giving the secret away.

So on one hand you are right, with your statement, yet on the other hand your statement (or at least the part I cut out from your post and quoted above) is too imprecise to describe this wonderful principle.

And to say this again: You can repeat this effect for the same venue. Use the principle, but don't use the same presentation. Why go for a bet at the beginning? Money obvioulsy makes for a huge amount of intrigue, but you can use the principle with any 50:50 reveal...and why would anybody notice. Before I saw BOHT performed for the first time I couldn't understand how it would fly by...now I understand ist power, and I'd bet a huge amount that you could Play BOHT multiple times in a year for the same audience if you include it in a Routine. And I am pretty sure that this will work with 50:50 as well...

I don't know why I am writing so much, we don't know each other Max, Ian I also only know from a short Chat at MINDS but I still would like you to see the value in what Ian has written down here. The scripting is really excellent and the principle is fantastic!
Johnsypoppins
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Johnsypoppins
Really clever bit of business, for me was more than worth picking up.
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
Fantastic. If you think you will like this and have read the ad copy thoroughly, then you should pull the trigger. You will be happy.

Side note and nothing new - I think it is unfair to "compare" different creator's methods when giving reviews, especially to the extent it was done here. Most regulars are gonna have at least a rough idea of the methods involved here, especially if they are familiar with some of the effects thrown out as comparisons. That sucks for both creators.
Brian
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2017, RealityRocks wrote:
Hi Max,

this is similar to BOHT from Bryn Reynolds (which admittedly I shouldn't know about but got told about...shame on me, I will definitely by the Safwan Papers sooner or later...probably sooner rather than later)

No worries..... just do me a favor and go out and have fun performing it!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Is this essentially the same effect as found on Ran Pink's latest DVD involving a 50/50 choice?

If anyone is familiar with both, I'd be interested to know of the similarities and differences, advantages and disadvantages.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, robvh wrote:
Is this essentially the same effect as found on Ran Pink's latest DVD involving a 50/50 choice?

If anyone is familiar with both, I'd be interested to know of the similarities and differences, advantages and disadvantages.

It's Andrew Gerards effect and they are very different, but it's difficult to explain why without giving away the secret. Gerards is a great impromptu effect for when you are in the bar or a casual situation. Rowlands is more suited to an audience in a formal setting. Rowlands is also more suited to an experienced and confident performer while Gerards is very easy for any level.
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
I am a horrible mentalist and a worse human being. I have disgraced the work of Ian Rowland and mentalists everywhere. I hate myself.

Last night I did a corporate "picnic" type deal and I was feeling a bit "off" throughout. No major mishaps or screw-ups and the client was getting their moneys worth. Maybe because it was outside? Maybe because one of the guests was a bit "overly" interested in me and making me a little uncomfortable? Maybe because I had a couple beers (unprofessional, I know). I was ok, but not as "on" as I usually like to think I am.

Anyway, it comes to the end of the night and they want to see "one more". Perfect opportunity for this effect, right? I've done it like a dozen times now, and it's amazing and fun. So I'm going to get into it in a minute, and suddenly, out of nowhere, I start to panic. I irrationally think "I need an out if this goes wrong". I prepare the out, and I will use it if I have to, so help me god. I do the routine, and it is fine, I don't use the out and nobody is the wiser. Nobody but me anyway. Everybody is duly entertained and I go home.

I sleep poorly and wake up in a cloud of self-loathing and shame. I am thinking of hanging up my imp pad and taking up juggling. I feel unclean.

I am hoping this public admission of my misdeed will will prove therapeutic. Perhaps some penance is in order? Practice a thousand center tears or go assault strangers in the street with my old set of sponge bunnies? I dunno man, I am so ashamed of myself.
Brian
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
It´s also absolutely suited for impromptu! Put a coin under the hand of a spectator and start the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » 50:50 Fantasia by Ian Rowland (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL