We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Borns Bag (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
742 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
I don't normally ally get excited about a new release however it's different when it's a utility item that I think is a game changer. JB has created one of the absolute best of bags for the modern magician. Think how good this could be for a sidewalk show or any walk about magician Street or no street.

Thought I'd share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFpTNFqb2yM&sns=em
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
This has piqued my interest:-) Thanks for posting.

For a non-table show with minimal props this could be just the ticket.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1397 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Alright I gotta ask. How exactly is a leather backpack a game changer. There aren't any features that are out of the ordinary. It's just a backpack. What I find truly funny is that he puts down backpacks then trys to sell one for 185 dollars. Please elaborate on how this is a game changer because your post sounds like an add campaign.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1397 Posts

Also I find his ad both shallow and pedantic
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hey TableTop -

Thanks for the enthusiasm. Am definitely excited about how this turned out.

Hi Kyoki -

I guess the most useful differences between a backpack and Born's Bag are accesibilty, shape, and look.

To use a backpack you have to take it off to access its contents, which is a detail I could never consider. With Born's Bag you not only have access to every compartment without taking the bag off, you have easy access to every compartment without even looking. There are also some extras, such as the quick access pocket secured by a magnet, which many performers would find super useful.

The shape is important - it sits close to your back, so when strolling for busy/crowded events you are not bumping into people, which is very possible with a backpack. Personally, the shape/size has also helped me determine/limit my routine options to just the right amount, versus when I was using bulkier options that allowed me to carry too much material (think we've all been there).

Finally, the look is very clean, and the quality is just great. This has served me extremely well, so decided to share with those that have the need and are excited about its unique advantages.

JB
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
The great advantage I see with this Bag is @ 2:06 to 2:11. That alone is beaut.

I do not own one of these bags (yet) but as a very experienced Street Performer, I know a good idea/potentional for the street when I see it.

One of the problems I come across when busking, is if I set up a table with gear etal and do a show....I can't move at a moments notice and it takes too long to move & get out. I've been working & using for time /places on occasions, a minimal prop show that I can get in & out. (There are some very nice pitches that I have used, that if I set up a table and do a show.....I get shut down. However if I can just do a smaller show for 20 people and move around, I can work it all day)

A back pack (IMHO) looks dorky & you can still have to take it off and unpack & pack it up. The Born Bag is sleek and stays on you so you can just walk off any time.

I currently use a nice leather Man Purse that hangs over one shoulder. It works but still gets in the way somewhat. The born bag looks/is less cumbersome, not in the way, and retains flow and eye contact.

As mentioned, I have never used the Born Bag so can only comment and guess from what I see on the vid. And everyone has a different style and needs.

Other may differ and I respect that Smile
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
742 Posts

Kyoki - Your post makes me sad. This is a forum for Magicians helping and supporting each other not having apop at someone for being enthusiastic about a product which they personally feel ads value to the Magic community.

I see you on this forum constantly asking for advice and people helping you. For you to respond to my post in the way in which you did was really disrespectful.

Anyway, back on track.

I have been working on slimming down my street show and moving away from a table set up, I have always been looking for the perfect leather bad which suits my performing environments. Belive me I have tried many ive never found one that fits. I stumbled across Borns Bag on Facebook and knew right away it was purpose built by a true working pro with the working pro in mind.

I have ordered. This is ideal. This has changed my game at least.

Next time maybe pause, take a breath and think before you post. I wish you all the best brother.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1397 Posts

This is nothing more than a type of sling backpack. I have seen them before and seen them accessed without being taken off the same way the born bag is. The only thing I haven't seen is a magnet used but I'm sure it has as its a feature on many bags. A few seconds of searching found this. It doesn't have a magnet but does have a snap but for the extra hundred and some dollars I think I could live. A longer search would probably find something very similar but at a fraction of the price as its not marketed to the magic community.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32734528524.html#autostay
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1397 Posts

I'm sorry but I have been taken on too many items and seen to much marketed at the magic community as being special when it's not. You can check my other posts and see that I don't normally post like this. I appreciate all the help I am given and throw in my two cents when I can. My problem comes from this being set up as something new and revolutionary when it's a leather sling bag. It's pretty but not special and not for the price
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7630 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry brother Born, (and Table Top Trixta) but, the commercial with a black prop bag against a black shirt, turned me off. A shoulder bag such as you are pitching, could be useful, and practical.

I would, however, like to see you USING it, not just TELLING me how useful it is.

At this point, I find myself siding with Kyoki.

I get along just fine with a wand, a few pieces of rope, a 4" ring, a few polys (not silks) for the "Slydini" knots, egg bag, and, Hull's elusive silk. All that stows in my pockets. My CRITERIA are simple: VISUAL EFFECTS, VISIBLE PROPS, VERSATILE PROPS & EFFECTS, RECOGNIZABLE PROPS, NO SET UP, NO TABLE NEEDED, SPOT ADAPTABLE ROUTINES, PROPS PACK SMALL & LIGHT, and, WINDPROOF!

I'll admit that I have done a lot more strolling than busking.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of John Born
Is just a really well-made product with a certain set features. If it appeals to you, great. There are endless options for how we approach our magic, appearance, etc. - please do what works for you.

Hi Dick - thanks for posting. There is an 8 minute video detailing all aspects of Born's Bag. From there you should be able to see if it fits your needs, and if you need me to check sizing / fit for a certain prop I am happy to do so. And the best part - you don't even have to wear a black shirt with it.

Has only been available for a day and a half and have sales all over the world, most of which are highly experienced performers. After literally scouring the planet and owning thousands and thousands of high end bags/options, I was always left wanting. Simply put, I think there is a need for thoughtful bags and pocket management solutions designed with the performer in mind. A lot of thought has gone into why this works for me, and proud to share it for those that see its potential.

JB
www.JohnBorn.com
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of John Born
*owning thousands of dollars worth of high end bags - not thousands of bags Smile Smile
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
This is waaaaay too expensive. At the high end I would consider paying $40 - $50 but that price is ridiculous.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I tend to look at the price of something by thinking of it's value to me rather than it's price.
If a prop or bag looks like it will help me be a better performer, or sometimes just for the pleasure of having it, then I'm interested.

One way of thinking of the cost of something is in terms on how quickly I can 'replace' the cost from my hatting.
If an item is, say, $100 and you can expect to get that much profit from your hat from just a few sessions on the street - say 4 hours at the pitch each time - then it seems a good deal to me.
The presentation makes the magic.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hi Cbguy -

I totally understand that you would think that if you are just thinking of an average bag. This is a luxury piece made by a high end designer and top of the line production. The cost of production alone is well over the retail value of the bags you are mentioning - and for a reason - any bag you would consider in that price range will not even be comparable in person. We are talking the leather, the zippers, the lining, the stiching, etc.

The average price of bags that I have purchased from quality or high-end designers range around $250 -$450, and the introductory price I am offering is well below recommended retail. $185 is nothing to a working pro that would consider using it even a few times. Some shop Armani, John Varvatos, etc. while other shop Walmart and Target. Both can get the job done but there is a distict and absolute difference. I know the difference, and the audiences I work for know and appreciate certain sensibilities. I know it isn't for everyone, but none of my products are.

If anyone has any other questions I am happy to help!

Best,

JB
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Magicol: If it takes 4 hours to get $100 on a pitch, find a new pitch.

John Born: I perform about 250 days a year, that probably makes me fall into the working pro category. I have a bag that I got from Frank Starsinic and for me, it is more than good enough. If you consider Franks work Walmart quality, then I'm a Walmart shopper.

Zippers break, I don't care what the quality is, it happens and no matter the quality of leather, it's gonna get beat up, scuffed, rained on, etc..if you're a real street worker - I am - So different strokes for different folks. If someone who works the street is gonna buy that Armani quality bag, they might as well get an Armani suit, shoes and hat to go with it.

...and, who ever that is, I will perform across the street and make bigger hats for bigger audiences all day long, with my Walmart stuff : )
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I'm not being an *** - the point I'm trying to make is that the ONLY thing that makes a successful performer is "the performer" - props, bags, etc., they don't matter.

The reason magic shops stay in business is because 99% of the people doing magic don't understand this point. They are not entertainers. They are always looking for the next BIG thing, they are after that one trick that's going to push them into stardom and in doing so, they miss the boat.

My entire act, which makes me a very comfortable living uses some beat up, dirty rope, one piece of fruit and three juggling knives (the knives are beat to hell and the tip of one has broken off).

Yet, I do not come across as poor, homeless or a beggar.

Back to the point, if someone wants to spend a boat load of money to have a fancy bag or prop, that's gonna end up broken and beat up eventually that's their decision.

But if they think that prop or bag is gonna make them better in some way, they are mistaken.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of John Born
It's all relative my friend. If anything the price is going to go up. Do what works for you - sounds like a class act. Boat load for some, not even pocket change to others.

Best of luck,

JB
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
742 Posts

It arrived. I'm not disappointed at all. It exceeds expectations.

This is a beautiful leather bag, really top quality better than the others that I have seen.

This is the perfect 'man bag' let alone 'magic bag'

The best thing about this is that it doesn't feel that you are wearing a bag. When you move the bag from the back to the front the pockets are at the PERFECT position. The magetic fast access pocket is ideal. It also takes my SMART phone keys and pretty much my whole set.

I hate things in my pockets when I'm out and about, this solves this problem.

This is way more than a magic bag, its ideal for cameras etc etc and ideal for travel.

Thanks JB. I am a happy customer.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of kenodad
I just received mine and I like it. High quality. And for those interested, theambitiouscard.com strolling bag fits perfectly in the bag for even more functionality.

And cbguy...yes, you ARE being an ***. Just because you are only willing to pay $40 to 50 does not mean you should be hypercritical and condescending to those who can, and with just enough ego to fill a room. Condescending, hypercritical, super-ego: fits right into the ** category in most books. I don't suspect you own a BMW, but to each his own. Are you going to go on a car forum and rale on the Porsche, BMW and Mercedes owners? No. Why not? Because you would be an ***, which is what you are doing here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Borns Bag (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL