The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Card Peek (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
761 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, tomd wrote:
Yeah I'd like to purchase the pivotal peek as well, can't find it anywhere 😕

He has a lecture that contains over three hours woth on materail including the pivotal peek.
This may be the only source for now:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3145
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2016, tomd wrote:
Just to throw it out there, using a s***k might give off a better illusion that it would be impossible for you to peek the card. Have them take the deck behind their back (if they are standing), and have them cut the deck. They can either take the "new" top card, or cut the deck once more and use then take the top card. I would then tell them that I'm going to turn away, and they can look at that card, but I don't want anyone else seeing it (eliminating the possibility of stooging), so I basically want them to use both of their hands to cover the card from all angles when they take their peek... which is great justification to take the deck back from them and glimpse where you need to in the deck (;)) briefly while turning away. So you know the card as they see it. from there the world is your oyster, and you can fairly give them the deck to put the card back in and have them shuffle, all with you head turned the opposite way. You could even have them stick the card in their pocket, that also adds credibility.

Not impromptu which is obviously a negative, but from experience lay people are genuinely convinced that what just happened was the fairest possible way to peek at a card, without you knowing what it is (hehe).

You don't need to memorize a full s***k like aronson for this to be convincing, Si s****ns with a casual in the hands spread to show the cards are different seems to be convincing enough from my experience. Once you know the card, you can destroy the s***k by having them shuffle if you feel heat, or not if you want to repeat this later to someone else.

Still worth investing in a good impromptu peek, but as people are offering alternatives until the pivotal peek is available again, thought it may be useful.

The problem with using sharks is that they always bite. I much prefer the f** *l****.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
761 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, martyjacobs wrote:
I like Jim Swain's "Ghost Peek". It takes a little practice but isn't too difficult to do and, performed correctly, is completely invisible.

Marty

Please tell me I am wrong, but I watch the video and the ghost peek looks anything but invisible. He looks like a traffic cop fliping opening a notebook to write a ticket.

This link works:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......t-peek/#
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
Essex, UK
994 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Hi Jerry,

I assume you've not bought the download? You're looking at this with the eyes of a magician, not a laymen. To us the move is obvious, but to most people, even regular card players, it just looks like you're squaring the pack.

Jim uses this a lot and it works for him, and I trust and value his expert opinion (I also trust Steve Forte on such matters and he has high praise for this move). More importantly, I've used this technique a lot myself; when it is performed at the correct time and in the context of a full routine it is invisible. Jim is making the move bigger than is necessary in the video demo, so that magicians can tell when the peek happens. With practice, the motion can be reduced and disguised as an innocent squaring action.

Jim does mention in the download that this is a peek designed for magicians, not card cheats who play games with fast company. However, the core technique is based on an old glimpse from the gambling table that Jim learnt from Darwin Ortiz, so I don't doubt that a mechanic could use this in a game for "advantage play".

Marty

P.S. Thanks for supplying the correct link. I've embedded the video in this post to make it easier for others to see what we're talking about here.
Read FREE magic articles and ebooks at Kitsune Magic.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Agree, Jerry. Does not look great. There are better peeks with less odd handling and tension.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
347 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
If this has been mentioned then disregard.

Drauns fan peek.

Only if you like to flourish a little and can do a pressure fan.

Quite nice
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
Essex, UK
994 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Rupert,

I don't see anything odd about the handling. And the tension comes from how the move is framed by the camera. When I perform this I always take the peek in a moment of relaxation-but then you should do that regardless of the technique being used-and I don't directly look at the cards. Ben also makes an excellent point about this:

Quote:
Personally, I prefer to do delayed or indirect peeks that happen contextually in the act of doing something else that is congruent with the rest of the routine.

There appears to be a lot of people on the Café who critique a move before learning or performing it (you cannot accurately evaluate the merit of a move if you haven't done this). This might not be the best peek if a person is burning your hands, but it is robust and reliable. I certainly wouldn't use it in all situations, but I do use it a lot.

If you've got an alternative that you prefer then why don't you post that to help the OP, rather than just bashing the "Ghost Peek"?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I did purchase it, back when I was briefly embroiled in the whole Gazzo controversy over the move. For my money, the action is too much work, and has little discernible advantages over other techniques. Glad you like, Marty. Horses for courses.

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, martyjacobs wrote:
If you've got an alternative that you prefer then why don't you post that to help the OP, rather than just bashing the "Ghost Peek"?

I did. Jerry Kogan's peek, from Mario in Spades

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention about this technique is that it can be used in a delayed peek action. In other words, you can perform the move, then set the deck down until you want a peek or need to locate the card in some secret fashion.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5281 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, SleightlyChris wrote:

Drauns fan peek.

Quite nice

Yes it has. I mentioned it earlier.
Simply diabolical.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
Essex, UK
994 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Fair enough Rupert, if you bought it, tried it and didn't like it then I'm cool with that; I thought you were basing your entire dislike of the move on the demo alone, but I stand corrected.

Quote:
I did. Jerry Kogan's peek, from Mario in Spades

Ah yes, I missed that. Apologies. This is, indeed, a good peek and a good book.

Marty
MazingMandy
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Side steal to top, then any top card glimpse. Super duper easy.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
Side steal to top, then any top card glimpse. Super duper easy.

Orrr sidesteal into full palm and glimpse, then replace. If you're into the whole brevity thing.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
347 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, SleightlyChris wrote:

Drauns fan peek.

Quite nice

Yes it has. I mentioned it earlier.
Simply diabolical.

Thanks magic fish. I agree. Diabolical. I just wish my pressure fan was up to snuff haha
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5281 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Harry Lorayne has a great peek in the Quantum Leaps section of Lorayne: The Classic Collection Vol 3.

He's looking directly at the spectator as he glimpses the card.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
Essex, UK
994 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Chris, I found the D&D video tutorial on this move helpful when trying to improve my own Pressure Fan; an apparently easy move that I've always found tricky:

HTH,

Marty
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
Peeking indirectly is a good way, bubble peek works, ghost peek, its all situational. Although in some situations with the correct misdirection I will in there face just look and it will fly by...its kind of on the fly whatever works
NPortMagic
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5281 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Steve Draun's excellent Fan Glimpse can be found on pg.31 of Kaufman's Secrets Draun from Underground.

I should have mentioned that this wonderfully deceptive peek was first published by Harry Lorayne in Apocalypse.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5281 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Ok fine, I guess Im revealing more secrets as I age.
Out of Touch by Dai Vernon.
enjoy.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
347 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 16, 2016, magicfish wrote:
Ok fine, I guess Im revealing more secrets as I age.
Out of Touch by Dai Vernon.
enjoy.

I thought you were going to say the bible next Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Card Peek (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL