The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Topit 180 by David Penn (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I remember David mentioning this in the last WPR, didn't realize it would be released so soon. Been a while since I've I seen a new topit design on the market. I already own a couple topits, but I still think this sounds really interesting and seems worth looking into.

Attach it to your jacket in seconds, transfer from jacket to jacket, gives an option for rightys or leftys, and allows you to both ditch and retrieve objects.

Supposedly this is the first design ever that allows you to ditch and retrieve.. Technically it's the second, since "Topit Revolution by Edouard Boulanger" allows you to do the same thing. I own Topit Revolution already and absolutely love it, but I'm wondering if this could possibly replace it. Curious to see how the two differ and what advantages one might have over the other. Either way, this looks really interesting and is very reasonably priced. Thoughts?

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/topit-180-......id-penn/

$48.72

"If real magic existed I am sure this is what it would look like!

David Penn has taken this utility device to the next level.

If you want to improve your magic get this gimmick!

You won't TOP IT!"

Wayne Dobson

"Revolutionary!" 
Doc Eason 

“David Penn's Topit 180 has multiple uses removing all the limitations of standard Topits. It will help performers to create the best visual magic possible.”

Brendan Rodrigues 

“David Penn has created effects with the Topit that no one else ever dreamed possible”
Patrick Page 

For the first time ever with David Penn’s revolutionary design of Topit……..Vanish, Steal & Ditch.

David Penn has lectured all over the world on his natural technique with a Topit. Recognised as a modern master, of this sometimes forgotten utility device, David now presents his evolution of this incredible gimmick - TOPIT 180. 

With TOPIT 180 you can vanish a small object at any time! This can be presented as an effect or to covertly ‘finish clean’ after an effect that requires a gimmick.

As described, and shown on the trailer, the very same object can then be retrieved under very little misdirection after it is transited to a holding area, which is all built into TOPIT 180. This very same area can be used to ditch objects covertly giving you so much freedom in your routining. 

If you are familiar with a topit you will revel in these new possibilities however if you are new to topitting David covers obsoletely everything in the comprehensive download that you are given access to.

As well as the techniques involving vanishing, stealing and ditching small objects, you will be taught effects with: Metal Bending,Candles , 8 Ball Transformations, Glass Restorations, Coin In Bottle and Salt Pot Vanishes. 

TOPIT 180 is the ultimate TOPIT!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I guess it is actually the 3rd, as Michael Ammar was the 1st to publish a retrieval feature for the topit.

There was also a removable topic with a retrieval feature at the rear of the pocket previously.

I have to comment on his technique is kind of jerky.

Everything else sound interesting, but alas all the Café magician's only want to perform naked, they hate cloths and especially jackets. Smile

The price seems a little steep, of course we haven't been shown the gimmick.

Does it come in different sizes?
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Michael Ammar was the first to publish the retrieval system yes, but his was done going through the pocket. With this topit, you retreive the item in the topit from the back of the jacket. So I believe that's what he means by this being the first design where you can do that.

What I meant by the first topit that had this kind of feature (meaning you can retreive an item without going through the pockets), is Topit Revolution where you retreive from the bottom of the jacket. I believe Topit Revolution was the first in that regards, hence the name. Though with Topit Rev., you retreive from the side instead of the back of the jacket.

Far as I can tell though, it doesn't come in different sizes. Just a right handed and left handed version. I thought the price seemed pretty fair, at least considering that Topit Rev. goes for about $100. Honestly I'd be a bit concerned if it was going for $20-$30. I too wish I knew what the design looked like, but I think that's just how it is now a days with these "utility gimmicks". At least most of the time, they just show what it does instead of what exactly it is. Which I can understand to an extent, avoiding exposure, marketing ect.

And yeah a lot of magicians here make it seem like they want real magic done by a gimmick that takes up no space, does all the work for you, can be done in a t shirt, and expect thunderous applause. If that's the case, I'll be their gimmick! You don't have to carry me, I'll do all the magic for you and you can wear whatever you want! As long as they understand that the applause is for me, then I'm cool with it Smile

Seriously though, I don't know about anyone else.. but if I'm going to have people applaud for me, I'm going to earn it. I don't mind a gimmick helping me achieve an effect, but I've always been one to work for my reactions.. ugh, rant over.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Agree totally, you skipped over my comment that there was a rear retrieval Topit some years back, I can't remember the name of the guy who made and sold it. Dave Penn's would the 1st, if what I was watching was correct, and he kind of said, the item can be obtained by the opposite hand.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I'm not sure that you could ever accuse David Penn of taking anything to the next level but, if this is anywhere near decent then it seems a reasonable price.

I agree with Bill that the technique by David doesn't look brilliant. The question is whether that's down to him or the Top It. When you watch Ammar use a Top It it's pretty brilliant..but then Penn isn't Ammar.

I'd be interested in this though for its transferabiliy.

NB I assume that all is okay with Penn and Wayne Dobson now but I do find them getting a quote from him a bit cynical.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Agree totally, you skipped over my comment that there was a rear retrieval Topit some years back, I can't remember the name of the guy who made and sold it. Dave Penn's would the 1st, if what I was watching was correct, and he kind of said, the item can be obtained by the opposite hand.

Ah I see, I personally haven't seen any other topits on the market that allows you to retrieve items like that besides topit rev. Then again I'm not very familiar with older style topits in general so I probably wouldn't know anyway.

I actually overlooked that david was retrieving with the opposite hand. I know with Topit rev. you have to retrieve on the same side you have the topit on. But it's interesting that Topit 180 is done the opposite way. I may pick this up anyway so I can have a topit on both sides. May be a bit overkill but I'm sure it could provide some interesting variations to some of my routines. With all of the gimmicks I own I already feel like inspector gadget. I just wish I didn't have to choose between a right or left handed gimmick. Oddly enough I'm a lefty but I handle cards righty.

And yes I agree david's technique was a bit off. Definitely not the cleanest or smoothest handling I've seen. I'm sure it's more to do with his technique though rather than the topit design. Besides reverse topits and the tko, most topits are handled the same way as far as I know.

I'm interested either way.. only thing that's turning me off is that I have to choose between a right/left gimmick, and I'm not too crazy about the routines taught as I doubt I'd be using any of them. Also, I'm not 100% on this but it doesn't look like this will be too card friendly. Maybe for ditching but if the object has to be "moved" to a certain spot to retrieve it, then I'm thinking card aren't going to work too well. Hmm... I'm on the fence on this one..
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2016, jamo425 wrote:

I actually overlooked that david was retrieving with the opposite hand. I know with Topit rev. you have to retrieve on the same side you have the topit on. But it's interesting that Topit 180 is done the opposite way.

Retrieval with the opposite hand is probably the major new feature of this and I would presume that that is the reason it is called Topit 180.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I agree that the "180" refers to retrieving from the opposite hand. I also believe that if you are proficient with the Topit, this will be a great advantage to this gimmick.

If you are not, see Michael Ammar's handling for the Topit and a vast number of ideas to use it for in your magical work. He now has a new book Topit 2.0.

Also get Salvano's DVD on the Topit. His method is really outstanding.

Mastering the Topit can make your magic even more magical, if you work on it until it becomes second nature.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm not sure if I would prefer retrieval from the side, or the back. Price wise, sounds like this is far more reasonable than Topit Rev.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
In the demo David retrieves the 8 ball with the same hand. It also seems that the props used need to have some heft or a certain amount of weight to them.

This looks FAAANTASTIC... SOLD!

The flattened ball routine is fabulous, looking forward to transforming salt and pepper too.

If you are on the fence about which hand side to get, buy both since they are easy to switch out. Sell the one you don't prefer. I may do this since I may prefer my strong hand to retrieve.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2016, EZrhythm wrote:
In the demo David retrieves the 8 ball with the same hand. It also seems that the props used need to have some heft or a certain amount of weight to them.

This looks FAAANTASTIC... SOLD!

The flattened ball routine is fabulous, looking forward to transforming salt and pepper too.

If you are on the fence about which hand side to get, buy both since they are easy to switch out. Sell the one you don't prefer. I may do this since I may prefer my strong hand to retrieve.

He does retreive from the same hand he vanishes with, but I think the idea here is more so that you retreive the item from the opposite site that the topit is on. So if you have it set up on the right side, you'll be retrieving with the left hand from the back of the jacket.

Great idea btw about getting both and selling the one that you don't need. Might just have to do that! I'm somewhat ambidextrous I guess, so my preferences to which side I feel comfortable ditching with is a little weird.

I've considered getting a second topit rev. but it's pretty costly at $100 each. With this however, I can get two for the price of one topit rev. which is a tough argument to counter. I'm thinking that having two topit 180's set up might get in the way of each other, if the design is what I imagine it to be.. So if you want to have two topits where you can ditch and retrieve in this fashion, I think the only way would be to have one topit rev. and one topit 180, or two topit rev. Depends on how much you want to spend.

But just to think of the freedom of vanishing, ditching, producing, stealing from either side at a moments notice just sounds sooo tempting.. Literally endless possibilities (as if the possibilities of one topit wasn't enough).

I don't expect the video you get with this to be a masterclass on topiting, so I'm thinking getting another source for techniques may be a good investment. I forgot about Ammar's Topit Book 2.0, thanks for that Bill. I've seen a video of Salvano in action as well and he is super smooth, but all the places I've checked are out of stock of his dvd. There's also Topit Workshop (3 DVD Set) by Bob Fitch which looks really interesting, but it's $100 which is a bit steep. Will have to do a bit of research before I jump the gun.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
I know this was just released, but looks like there's some interest, so I'll put this question out there for anyone who can answer when they get theirs.

I plan to have an Ammar topit installed on one jacket, but I also want to get an extra transferable topit for other occasions (was thinking Pat Page, just because it's what I'm sort of familiar with), but this looks like it might be an alternative as well. I'm assuming that the retrieval system for this is somewhat similar to the retrieval system of the TKO, and that only items of certain size can be retrieved. Can it be "adapted", so that coins and small items can be topited (maybe by cutting access to the retrieval system, like in the TKO?).
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
/
>>>With TOPIT 180 you can vanish a small object at any time!<<< This can be presented as an effect or to covertly ‘finish clean’ after an effect that requires a gimmick.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I have tried the Topit Revolution. I dislike it, for two reasons, first I hate safety pins. TR needs them. Secondly, the TR is too big (I'm talking about the height) for me since I wear a coat that is usually short not long. And TR is designed for jacket (or coat) that is very long. If Topit 180 doesn't have these features, I am interested in buying one.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I agree, that's probably my only dislike with TR as well. I have it set up in my blazer. If I have it set up on the right side, it's fine but when I have it on my left, it covers up my ticket pocket. I don't use the lower pocket too much but it would be nice to not have it blocked off.

I have tried folding it down which kind of solves the problem but gives you less of a "back board" to aim off of. So you can try that, it may work for you. I don't like safety pins myself either, my jacket isn't cheap by any means so putting a bunch of safety pins in it is a bit painful. Even more so if I have to adjust the position.

But I still like it, and I find the benefits outweigh my dislikes. Once you've found a nice spot, you're good to go. Does what it's supposed to, you have a lot of room, and it's made from good strong fabric.

I may pick up Topit 180 later this week though, if I do I will post a review. Though I'm thinking that this will probably use safety pins as well though since it's the cheapest way to attach it. But there may be another system in place here, who knows.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
I prefer fabric glue over safety pins. It holds all the way across a seam instead of just points. Then the topit or what have you can be removed by pulling it off and then can be applied back on as desired.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
That's interesting, I actually have some fabric glue but was afraid of damaging the fabric if I had to remove it. Can you wash off the fabric glue? And would it damage the fabric of the jacket if you have to pull it off?
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Jamo425, yes I have also the same problem regarding inside pocket. When I wear a coat it is because it is more convenient for me if I have to carry lot of stuff when I perform magic, because ideally, I prefer not to wear a coat when performing magic. So if TR indeed suppressed one precious pocket of your coat or jacket, this is really a bother. I have my mother made a TR for me, and she did, and it has the nice size for me. I haven't tried this homemade TR since I'm planning to have her sew some velcro, which hasn't been done yet. TR has a better quality than my mother's TR, but it isn't bad anyway. My mother by the way considered the TR as being way too expensive because it was easy for her to do it, and even the TR's retrieval system was a piece of cake. Interestingly, when I showed her the TKO 2.0, she said she will never be able to make it (exceedingly complex), and TKO is almost the same price as TR, and you got 2 TKO (one black, one white). I think TKO is better priced than TR. I know I know, it's not the same gimmick, but still...

Anyway, like I said, I'm interested to hear some comments on the T180 by David Penn. If it doesn't use safety pins and isn't as big as the TR, and is easy and practical to work with, I will get one.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
That's interesting, I actually have some fabric glue but was afraid of damaging the fabric if I had to remove it. Can you wash off the fabric glue? And would it damage the fabric of the jacket if you have to pull it off?

I have not caused damage by separating glued materials. Just be careful where you pull from.

Fabric glue does come off but not by washing, holds up in laundered items. I leave the old glue residue in place because it isn't seen and it shows where I had glued an item before for when I want to glue it back on.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7982007_fabric-glue-removal.html
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Thanks for the tip EZ, will definitely have to try that out!

Mh1001, I hear you on the pocket space thing. I personally can live without an extra small pocket. For me, being able to vanish/retrieve on demand outweighs the fact that I might not be able to fit a couple more things into a small pocket in my jacket. I try to pack as little as I can when I perform while still being able to bring my favorite stuff. I used to find myself overloaded with different props and gimmicks in my pockets, but since then I found it better to just alternate between nights. One night I bring abc, another xyz, instead of abcxyz all together. Just my opinion though.

Another idea for TR is you can just cut out the portion of the topit that covers up that pocket if you really needed to. Problem is, depending on the jacket and what height the ticket pocket is, you might have something accidentally land in there or get caught. Sounds like you have it worked out though, lucky your mom can sew well enough to make one!

Anyway, let's hope that we don't have the same issues with Topit 180. I'll most likely place my order after my next paycheck in about a week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Topit 180 by David Penn (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL