The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The mint (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Looking for origin on old trick called the mint. It was produced by Johnson for a while but now seems to have completely vanished from existence. Does anyone know the original creator? I can't find videos or routines on it. It has however been "revived" with a trick called gem busters but it doesn't have the same effect for me as the mint does. Any enlightenment out there? Or was this trick/routine left for dead for a reason
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You might want to contact Johnson Magic Products.

https://johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/index.php

I can't speak for them, but years ago, I had them custom-make a silver dollar expanded shell. It wasn't cheap, but I got what I wanted.

At the very least, you can ask for the history of the trick. You really only need to find the cube and the blank disc. The ball bearing and the half dollar can be found easily. Unless there are trademark or ethical issues, anyone with a metal lathe and a milling machine can make what you need.

Another option would be to get your post count up enough to gain access to the Buy/Sell forum here, and ask if someone has one sitting around that they'd be willing to sell. If you are on Facebook, join the many such groups there where people buy and sell used magic. There is more such activity there than here.

Also, have you checked the used/estate magic sites? (Magic Trick Supply, Hocus Pocus, Ron Allesi, etc.)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Hi Michael. Might be a good idea for history questions and leads yes. Working on getting those posts in where I can Smile

I'll check out the other sites you sent too. Thanks!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
My recollection is that Gem Busters preceded The Mint. And I also seem to recall that it was Alan Wakeling who suggested that it should be adapted to coins... Hence The Mint!
I think that it is credited that way in the original instructions
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Ahhh yes. I am recalling Alan Wakeling being involved now. Thanks for the help!
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
I have found this item on a few sites and calling them to see if they still have it. 2 of 3 didn't but one more to call. Does anyone have any video links to a performance of this?
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Big J is correct. Gem Busters was marketed first. Allan Wakeling saw it and thought..."that trick doesn't make any sense. But....what if it was how you make a coin....". He took the idea to Johnson and the rest is history.
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Hey thanks for clearing that up for me Dave! I appreciate that. I'll make a WTB post here and see if it catches anyone. So far no luck.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Don't forget ebay...everything ends up there at some point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The mint (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL