The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Master Course - Cups and Balls - Daryl (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Cups & Balls, Master Course, Vol. 1 & 2

Disk 1 – 14.95
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=56275
Disk 2 – 14.95
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=56276

The Hype:
The Cups & Balls always mystifies and delights audiences whenever it is performed and has become an essential element for magicians worldwide.

Now, renowned Master Magician, DARYL, brings you the first and last word on the subject with the 2 Volume, Master Course on Cups & Balls.

This is a complete and advanced comprehensive tutorial on Cups & Balls , using step-by-step instruction to teach you everything from masterful tricks to the most advanced routines. Classic sleight of hand skills, props and techniques are all explained in the thorough detail previously only obtained with private lessons.

DARYL brings decades of experience and an easy-to-understand teaching style in a multi-camera production designed to show you everything you need to know with the Master Course in Cups & Ball Magic.

Vol 1 includes:
Origination of cups and balls, Specific types of props to incorporate. Specific types of cups to use
Specific type of balls to use. Details of handling for performances
Sleights:
-shuttle pass. inside and between cups. fundamental moves and misdirection, fake open load under cup. roll through, concealing a ball, galloping post. pinky move, Fako move. stealing a sponge ball from a cup, vanishes, loading a mouth up cup, misc. cups and balls effects, Charlie Miller move, Charlie Miller Elimination Sequence, Daryl's routine

Vol 2 includes:
"Nick's routine" (Nick Trost)
Dai Vernon's routine
Dai Vernon's impromptu routine
Tips for handling

Additional Audio Tracks:
Available in Japanese
disponible en español

My Take:
I probably have more instructional videos in my library by Daryl than by anyone else. In my opinion, he is just about the best magic teacher there is. So, I was anxious to check out this new set he has done on the cups and balls. And he does not disappoint. This is a beautifully shot video of a man who is a master at what he does sharing his knowledge with you. The video is shot against a black background with two magic posters on each side creating a frame for the instruction. And since this is a "master" class, Daryl's mode of dress conveys the fact that he is a teacher and shows respect for both the art and the student. (BTW, Daryl, great tie!)

Right up front, Daryl assumes you have prior knowledge and experience with the cups and balls. If you are just starting out, he suggests that you go through the Essentials DVD first. http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?id=767 . However, he does go through the moves needed so thoroughly on the Master set that you should be able to pick up the knowledge you need to do the routines.

This is set up like a college lecture. Daryl gives the history of the cups and balls, goes through the props needed as far as types of cups, types of balls, and the magic wand. You learn just what the wand is for and how to use it. He offers numerous tips on performance. He then goes on to thoroughly teach a number of sleights needed to do the routines. The only thing missing from his instruction is one of those little blue exam booklets your professor passes out before an exam.

Daryl finishes up the first DVD by teaching his cup and balls routine using a single cup. The routine is easy to follow and could be learned at a single sitting.

The second DVD teaches three routines. First, the Nick Trost routine. I was only familiar with Nick’s work on cards and mentalism so this was quite a treat. If you are just starting out, you will love this. Two things make it a unique cups and balls routine. First, you are using five balls instead of four. And second, this routine uses no sleights. And it is still a fooler. Nick was always famous in his card work for using subtleties instead of knuckle busting. He has applied the same thinking to his cups routine.

We have all seen Dai Vernon do his cups and balls on Youtube or (for those lucky enough) in person. A masterpiece of misdirection and timing. Daryl first expertly performs the routine, then walks you though every step to learning the Professor's work. Not only does he teach the moves but give the reasoning behind why each move is used. After, he performs the routine again at normal speed so you can follow everything you just learned.

The last routine he teaches is Dai Vernon's Impromptu routine. Dai would take three glass glasses, wrap them in paper and then make the balls by wading up paper. You could also do the routine by using plastic or paper cups. In other words, if you are out to dinner, you can do the routine with materials you might already have on your table. Two things that really caught my attention on this routine were that the cups do not have to nest and they do not need a recessed bottom. These are things essential to most routines. Years ago, I got a beautiful set of three hand turned wooden cups. I was told that they would not work with cups and balls as they did not nest. Well, now I guess I can get them back out again. Patience can be a virtue.

Although the two DVD's can be purchased individually, I would suggest you purchase both. You get a total of around three hours of excellent instruction. Most DVD's go for around thirty dollars anyway so for the same money you are getting a two DVD set. If you have ever had the privilege of attending a Daryl lecture, you know the level at which you will be taught. You also know just how likable Daryl is. I feel personality is essential in really imparting the instruction effectively. Daryl comes across as that teacher you always liked back in high school; You know, the one you really learned from because you really wanted to. If Daryl is in my area, I never miss the opportunity to attend. Even had the honor one night of sharing a pizza with him.

Conclusion: I have had books and videos on cups and balls for many years but never really took the time to learn a routine. I think that is about to change. Daryl starts you with the basics and then works his way up to some killer routines. If you want to learn a routine or even just get Daryl's take on the subject, this set is a bargain. Exquisite. Buy it.
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Your review is spot on. Daryl is a wonderfully skilled teacher and his Master Course series offers a well thought out soup to nuts approach. The material presented in this series covers all the basics and more advanced applications in a well conceived manner. His other Masters Course series is also delightful.
Northern California
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
My heart is broken. What a tremendous loss to the magic community.-
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
HERE IS ANOTHER REVIEW OF THIS GREAT PRODUCT!

REVIEW: Cups & Balls Vol. 1 by Murphy's Magic & Daryl - Essentials In Magic

RATING: 10 OUT OF 10!

LINK TO REVIEW: http://straighttalkmagicreviews.com/cups......-course/
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
I echo the thoughts of my esteemed reviewing colleagues, this really is an excellent and good value release. Although I've been performing a particular C&B routine for many years, one of the challenges I set myself this year was to develop my own routine. This set is an excellent starting point as I begin to research and develop it. It covers all the basic moves and also teaches some cracking routines. Highly recommended. You can read my full review here: http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk/2018/05/1......-review/
http://www.morethanmagic.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Master Course - Cups and Balls - Daryl (a Magic Portal review) (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL