The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Elmsley (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BlindWizard
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Where could one read about and learn the Elmsley count?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3823 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley Vol 1. can be found as an inexpensive PDF on http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=in......a&page=5 You will also learn his "Four Card Trick" which was the effect that he invented the "Ghost Count" for, (later to be known as the "Elmsley Count").

right now it is on sale (as are all ebooks and downloads on the site @ 50% off) For that price you may has well pick up Vol 2 also as they are both great books. Over the last few years, I have managed to pick up most of the books on the site (there are 55 total right now) and I got them all on sale at one time or another. Since I saw you mention that you are legally blind in another post, I will mention that some PDF readers also offer a text to speech option that you may find helpful.

Barring getting the info "direct from the source" with all the history of it, there are numerous Packet effects and dvds that cover the count as well as it's many variations.

One excellent source (for that as well as others) is Jerry Mentzer's "Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties" http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4837
and as for a dvd, BBM has one called "The Elmsley Count Project" 2 disc set http://themagicwarehouse.com/DA7217/The-......odcUUJFg

Only a couple examples here though there are very numerous sources out there. These are just the "Top 3" in my opinion with a quick link to get them online. You may find them elsewhere but the pricing in the links is about average. Smile
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
MarcoLostSomething
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of MarcoLostSomething
Card College 2 has plenty of sources of false counts included a detailed teaching on the Elmsley.
The CC is a must have for any serious magic card student in my opinion.
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
I would also highly recommend card college too. However, poof-daddy's link/suggestion to the PDF might be all that you seek.
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
972 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2016, MarcoLostSomething wrote:
Card College 2 has plenty of sources of false counts included a detailed teaching on the Elmsley.

Agreed, the first two volumes are required reading for the neophyte.
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
Thousand Oaks, California
82 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks for the resources Poof-Daddy! The Elmsley Count Project looks good, but I'm undecided on what to get. It looks and sounds very comprehensive but it is $35 and I don't have a lot of extra time at the moment to devote to mastering all the stuff that is advertised on the DVD. But, having said that, maybe I DO need it, lol !!!!

I can get the collected works of Elmsley now for 70% off. and the "Counts, Cuts, Moves and Subtleties" is only about $8.00 discounted. I can get the "count" chapter of Card College 2 for $6.00 at lybrary.com

Trying to be economical, as I'm on a budget, lol. Don't want to buy everything and get nickeled and dimed to death, as they say . I bought the video of "Advanced card control" for the Elmsley count and it was worthless !

In sum , all I want to master >> at the moment << is the Elmsley count.

Woe is me! decisions, decisions.... maybe I should pick a random card and use it to select the resources! or roll a die Smile
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
In my humble opinion, The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley are an absolute must in any magic collection. There is soooo much incredible material in the books that I can just return to them over and over again - they are my pride and joy. Alex was a genius
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
750 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Jupiter47 wrote:
In my humble opinion, The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley are an absolute must in any magic collection. There is soooo much incredible material in the books that I can just return to them over and over again - they are my pride and joy. Alex was a genius

Co-sign.

Mike
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks Jupiter and Mike! Just bought the Collected Works!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2660 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Didn't he originally call it the Ghost Count? That sounds much cooler
Oscar.Abraham
View Profile
New user
Mexico
22 Posts

Profile of Oscar.Abraham
Quote:

What he said.
Regards,

Oscar
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Oscar.Abraham wrote:
Quote:

What he said.

Thanks for the recs.

Since I'm on a budget and only want to study the counts at the moment it seems I should also get chapter 20 "False Display Counts" of CC #2 at lybrary.com.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3443 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, he did name it the Ghost Count but it didn't stick.

-Mary Mowder
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Picked up the collected works of Elmsley and Chapter 20 of Card College Vol. 2... A big help. Thanks again to all for their input.

As a side note. This is sad and funny! And an odd discovery concerning the "blue deck" (Packet Killer).

So after getting the above books I decide to practice with a Joker and the 3 blue back BF cards from the "Blue Deck." Suddenly I'm all thumbs! What gives? Since I'm just learning the count I say its got to be me and I've practiced too long. I gave it a rest. Next day I try again. Same thing ! Really discouraged I investigate to see if the cards have picked up sludge off my deck top making them sticking. I see nothing. Well to make a long story short I finally realize those 3 BF blue rider backs have been r**gh*d ! You think I would detect that a lot sooner! (But I haven't otherwise touched such since my recent return to magic, I guess I had forgotten the feel of those) I don't recall that the blue deck description gave an indication about those 3 gaff cards. Anyway went back to three regular bikes and all is much better! Still have a way to go on my rhythm and the last part of the count.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3443 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
LOL
MasterGrip
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MasterGrip
Whatever you do, just don't do it from the pinch grip. Learn to do it from a normal dealing grip with a fine(ish) brief.
Huzzah
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Huzzah
I never understood why so many books describe doing counts from a pinch grip. It just looks so ridiculous and unnatural.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Because that’s how Vernon originally described it for Twisting the Aces (it’s the grip the packet fell into after the eponymous twist). And most magicians lack the analytical wherewithal to depart from that notion.
MasterGrip
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MasterGrip
Which is arguably one of the worst tricks you can do with the count!
docguitarman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2017, MasterGrip wrote:
Whatever you do, just don't do it from the pinch grip. Learn to do it from a normal dealing grip with a fine(ish) brief.

I'm following the video in Card College. Correct?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Elmsley (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL