We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Quaker Parrot question - How to perch (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Just need tips on getting this new bird to perch on my finger.

Have tried putting it(her?) on bathtub, and then putting my hand in there to see if it tries to get out by jumping on my hand but still nothing, its been about 2 weeks I've had it.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of john wills
IT is wise to buy a dvd of David Womach or birdtricks.com (his brother) to find information about training the bird.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20982 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just try picking the bird up gently, and put him on your hand. Have some food on your hand, and feed him something he likes. Additionally, you have to spend time every day with him to get to know you, by that I mean actually holding him, and talking to him in a calm voice.

If you lower your arm, he should move up your arm. Doing this regularly will help create a bond.

Being parrots are hard billed birds, I would wear a thick glove to begin with, as they can take a chunk of flesh from your hand. After you feel he will not bite remove the gloves.

Lastly, there is a ton of information on parrots on the Internet, just type Quaker parrot in the search engine and start watching and reading.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Thanks guys, Bill I take her out every day - talk to her - but still seems afraid - well when I take her out I let her stand in top of my doves cage and from time to time grab her and sit on the couch and put her on my chest, maybe have to do this part more ?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4913 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jac, putting her on top of your dove cage isn't going to get her used to you and neither is sitting on the couch with her on your chest. You must gently handle the bird each day. While perched on your finger, gently stroke her from her neck to her breast bone. Do this while talking to her. This isn't something you do for a couple minutes. Set aside 30 minutes to an hour everyday for several weeks. Find something she likes to eat for a treat and hold it in your other hand. Don't starve the bird, just offer a treat.
Where the magic begins
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Thanks Dave glad to hear from you again
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2205 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Dave Scribner is right. The bird needs to be able to accept food first from your hand. When it does, you gently move the food or treat to the palm of your hand where it needs to step on your finger to reach it. You will need to repeat this for several days till you reach your desired objective. Patience is the key!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Use a dowel stick in a size to fit their feet. Place it in front of the perch and say "UP" You can start by coaxing it onto the stick. Always say "UP" so they know the command. Use a favorite reward every time they step up. Once they know to step up onto the stick start to use your finger and reward them
. It doesn't take long to finger train them.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
729 Posts

Profile of Rook
My Quaker responded very well to clicker training, including perching, picking cards, etc. The Womach DVD covers that well.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Quaker Parrot question - How to perch (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL