The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Tabled 2nd drawing demo (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I'm gonna tell you. I'm not gonna spend more time on this. Free to you to think this video is true.

As far as I am concerned, whether he provides a HD version or whether he shows it during a live session with me. All the rest is just void talking.

We live in 2017, 320x240 resolution videos? Are you kidding me? Why using such a poor frame rate and such a poor resolution?

Myself, I have demonstrated moves hundreds of times. And dozens have seen me thru skype, etc. You bore me with your heroes showing one-time videos in low resolution and ridiculous frame rate. You like it? Feel free to! Because poor quality or swindling, this video is crap.

Seriously, suckers will never end!
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Smile
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2017, SimonCard wrote:

I did practice it and it looks not deceptive at all from the front.
However, my bottom deal after 5 days of practice also looks like crap.
so I don't think I can come to any conclusion after only few days of practice.

I respect your reply. No one else gave one, and we supposedly have a number of "movers" on this board.

However, I would tend to disagree with your observation because there is a difference between determining the viability of a move and mastering the move.

For example, if you receive instructions on learning a move from a reliable source like Jason England, AMcD, Darwin Ortiz and people of that high caliber, then it is simply a matter of putting in the time to "master" the move if you so desire. Whether the move in question is viable is not in question. We already know it would be, especially as they usually demonstrate and teach the move at the same time.

However, these veracity of these Asian videos is very questionable. Technically, someone should be able to determine the viability of a move if that person is experienced with moves, without having to master it. If working with a move, trying different approaches, grips, finger positions and so forth to technically determine its viability should give a very good clue as to whether it would work or not. Then one can determine if it is worth the effort of mastering.

I would venture to say that in one month's time, no one will have mastered this move to any meaningful level. Maybe one or two members will perhaps say they tried but other than that I would guess the subject matter of this thread will simply fade away.

I just can't take these Asian videos very seriously. Perhaps they are fun and interesting to watch once or twice, but to spend too much time with them is pretty much a waste of time. I think the people who produce them just like to play tricks on other demonstrators.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Ok. I should've got the point way earlier. Yall won't be bored with any crap videos any more.
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Simon,
I enjoy your posting of videos with unusual moves, they are interesting to watch and debate, regardless of whether they are real or fake in the end. Ultimately, even the fake ones may inspire new innovative moves and techniques. As an example, I heard that Vernon would tell Turner he could do a move he thought was impossible, solely to see what Turner would come up with.
I say keep them coming Smile
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Game over? Smile
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Was a general "you", not directly pointed at you.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2017, SimonCard wrote:
Ok. I should've got the point way earlier. Yall won't be bored with any crap videos any more.

I would not look at it that way. I think you might be a little too sensitive about remarks being made. It is all constructive.

I think you have made a sincere effort to present some interesting videos and moves. No one is condemning that.

I personally have found them all interesting to watch. These Asian videos are pretty new to me. The fact that I cannot take them too seriously after watching a number of them have nothing to do with your posting this material. It produces some interesting discussions - something that benefits this BB.

Anytime you find something intereting, bring it on. Any commets about the videos themselves have absolutely nothing to do with you personally. So relax - and take it in stride.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Whether this video is fake or not I can’t really tell for sure, though the sound, during the execution of the sleight itself, seems to be slightly out of sync with the picture, when I watch it. However, as the sound is different during the sleight execution (scrapping that you would expect due to friction) with the one during the performance of the top card turnover, I am baffled.

If it’s a fake, and it might well be, it’s very cleverly thought out. I have seen my fair share of fake videos and one aspect, among others, that gives the game away is the too perfect execution of the sleight. If you look at the very first video posted on this thread it’s so neat in execution (similar to AMCD’s video in fact) that one knows it can’t be true.

In the video we’re discussing, a few aspects of the performance make it far more credible: the need to square the deck, the bent cards after the sleight as they are roughly handed, the clearly visible 2nd card being dealt (in frame by frame viewing), the 1st finger very near to the long edge ready to grip the 2nd card and maybe a couple of other technical elements that you realise are important when you start practising it.

If all this were added to add credibility to the demo, I say bravo.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince anyone, or maybe just myself, but just making the case that it might be possible. If you think this is all hogwash, fine, you won't get an argument from me.

I have worked a bit on this. There are basically 3 major elements to the sleight:

1. Picking two cards as one
2. Turning over the second one quickly to create a top deal illusion
3. While keeping the top card more or less aligned with the deck during and after the deal

I have eschewed the first step by starting with a break under two cards. I have managed to create a good enough illusion by turning over the 2nd card directly onto the top of the deck. It’s very quick and it’s easier to control the top this way. As for its usefulness in a gambling situation, I have no clue.

(No I won’t post my efforts as my embedded webcam is crap. I have posted a few videos on YouTube where speed is not essential; otherwise it’s all just a blur. Plus I have no spare cash to spend on a good webcam.)

So you guys, who have done some work on this, you may want to try that and see whether the illusion is acceptable.
MarcoLostSomething
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of MarcoLostSomething
If I can add something to Claudio's post, I think it's worth noting that the thumb must NOT move right after the double pick.
That's because I found easier to draw the second when the thumb is a bit more under the double, but to do that I have to re-grip right before the pick.
It creates an inconsistency during the draw because I take the card(s) with the thumb more or less on the edge, and I think it's a detail worth sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Tabled 2nd drawing demo (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL