The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cheap flash paper? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DorianGrey
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of DorianGrey
Hello I am looking to buy some flash paper for some of my tricks and have come across some pretty cheap stuff on eBay I just wondered is it dangerous to buy cheap flash paper,is it unreliable and dangerous or a good deal?
thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Perhaps when buying something that burns near your hands and face price may not be the primary concern.

Well made flash paper can be dangerous and unreliable.

Without knowing your source there is no way to have an actual answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Years ago, I bought some cheap "offs", the trimmed edges of flash paper. It burned a lot slower, which also means it had time to generate more heat... exactly what you DON'T want flash paper to do. Pay the money for professionally made flash paper from a reliable source.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DorianGrey
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of DorianGrey
Ok I will buy higher quality stuff thanks where should I buy it from any suggestions?
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Dorian... if you're in the UK (as I am) then reputable dealers are pretty easy to sus out if you just look at their website - not sure I'd trust someone who only trades on ebay, but ok if they have a website + an ebay store. In UK Prop dog, magicbox & alakazam are good on line stores.
Be aware that many reputable dealers sell flash paper DAMP. Ask their advice on how to dry it. Its much safer to buy damp. Fires have been caused by flash paper by spontaneous combustion or if a spark hits them. A Uk ebay dealers house was burnt down & son tragically killed within just the last year or two... it can happen to someone having just a bit for their own personal use at home as well. Take care.
Btw, when using in public eg table hopping be particularly wary of lighting flash paper near women's hair (spray/lacquer is highly flammable.)
mrsmiles
(UK)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes the entire safety discussion is another matter. A good and often overlooked subject.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I store mine in a tin can with the top off. If it lights on its own the flame will safely shoot out the top and into the air on a place I want it to without trapping heat
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Let the paper dry, then store it in a wooden (cigar) box.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Awhile back I got as hoping to save on flash paper. Looked up how to make it. After reading up I got scared to death of the safety issues and developed greater respect for getting quality flash paper. Learned from dealer to store it in old metal ammo box.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
magicalmilton
View Profile
Regular user
London/Mallorca
172 Posts

Profile of magicalmilton
There is something quintessentially darwinian about cheap flashpaper...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, magicalmilton wrote:

I chose not to go there, but yep.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
An amusing story related to flash product and an (almost) Darwin award.

While in High School, I was in a magic club. We had a picnic on chilly fall day. We build a campfire. One guy had a bottle of flash powder. He opened it up, holding it over the fire, he poured some in thinking it would create a really cool "poof."

Unfortunately flash powder acts much like a flammable liquid. The flame traveled up the stream of flash powder. The bottle explodes like a war movie special effect. The glass shatters. By some miracle, the guy gets some 1st and 2nd degree burns on arm, but no glass cuts.

Ahh...fun times...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
[quote]On Dec 13, 2016, magicalmilton wrote:
There is something quintessentially darwinian about cheap flashpaper... [/quote
Yes. It raises the IQ of the rest of the heard.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
RitalDino
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of RitalDino
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, magicalmilton wrote:

I can't stop laughing :-D

I bought one cheap batch off ebay and one high quality at my local magic shop to compare. The cheap one went in the sink then in the bin after two tries.

Way too hot, the paper consummed unevenly to the point the tip of the sheet (the last bit to be consummed) was beginnig to fall when it caught fire. If in a very controlled environment, or on stage I might use that. IF. But I won't risk burning my hand or a member of the audience just for the 6€ I saved.

That doesn't mean that high quality flashpaper is safe! But that's althemore important to use trusted brands. If coins [ could hurt you or your audience, I would'nt use cheaper ones!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
A while back my friend Dennis Loomis gave Tom and I a DVD on how to make Flash Paper.

We were all laughing about the gift and we were asking if we had done something to offend him.

We have never even watched it but it was good for a laugh.

Dennis had a great sense of humor. I still miss him.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cheap flash paper? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL