The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Jokes/one-liners to use in shows? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bodiddly
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bodiddly
With a spectator say, "can you stand with your feet a little closer to the ground?"
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I can't believe a 10 year old has his own web site.

Magicsam, you're cool dude. Don't worry about jokes. At 10 you have a lot of time to find the stuff that's you.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I disagree that one-liners can't be integrated into an act. The problem is that many will take it exactly as written and plop it in. That feels canned.
However, if you put thought into how your are writing your script and use some discretion it can work. Consider timing and the right place to use it. Also, you should not over use them! A few well placed lines that go with your act/routine.
I still feel much of the humor should come from within and develop from your personality and the routine.

I have a very large collection of one-liners for many different situations. Email me and I will send them to you.
Daniel Faith
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
I’ve never done any stage magic and probably never will but when I was younger I did a lot of public speaking. One technique, to get big laughs, is to use the name of someone in the audience whom everyone knows. Say something that is really bazaar for that person. For instance, one time, there was a guy, call him Joe, married to Jeannie, who had a bandage from minor surgery on his head. Everyone knew Joe as a nice guy but kind of stuffy. I said, “Hi Joe” to him and then to the audience. “I saw Joe at a party the other night.” Then, with obvious disbelieve, I said, “He didn’t think Jeannie would notice.”

It brought the house down.

You have to be careful you are not just being boorish. This time, even Jeannie laughed;

Tom
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
I agree with those who say that we shouldn't read a book of one-liners and just recite them. That wouldn't work at all. Still, if you study the lines and see what makes them funny, you're on your way to making up some of your own.

Our jokes must reflect our personality or the audience will know we stole them. However, you can borrow the "spirit" of the joke and make it your own.

Your best bet is to commit to memory a few lines to cover blunders by you or an assistant and those that will aid you in other uncomfortable situations. Other than that, stay up on current events, music, entertainment, literature, etc. and you'll be surprised at the lines that seem to "write themselves."
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
rubiporat
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rubiporat
I say : you don't like water.
you don't wash your hands
MYMagic
View Profile
New user
Florida
24 Posts

Profile of MYMagic
Growing up I wanted to be a magician in the worst way and tonight you will see that I have accomplished that goal.
May your day be filled with MAGIC!
ABCofMagic
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
15 Posts

Profile of ABCofMagic
Quote:
On 2004-05-11 09:06, owen.daniel wrote:
There is a great book by David Ginn, which is full of one liners. Can't remember the name right now, Owen

Kidbiz I think
ABCofMagic
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
15 Posts

Profile of ABCofMagic
Magicsam - I clikced on your website but it didn't work
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Jokes/one-liners to use in shows? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL