The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Box Ninety-Eight by Hand Crafted Miracles (218 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..15~16~17 [Next]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It was easy for me to justify buying... as my birthday is on the 27th

good things come in small packages [boxes]
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Saturn UK wrote:
We had our advance copy of Box 98 arrive and I must say so far I am very impressed with it.

I say so far because no instructions are online yet for it, so I can't comment on how easy the box is to handle until I watch them.

The quality of the box is good and it should stand up to a lot of use, it feels very sturdy and strong. The look of the box may not be to everyones liking but then its just a box!

As far as examination of the box, it says fully examinable which it is to an extent. When handing this to a spectator you should not be saying anything like look for any secret trap doors or whatever as if they poke around they may find something, but to give them the box and ask them to open it all should be fine as it looks and feels just like a box should.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video when its live as the speed at which the signed card gets in the box is amazing.

We have the item listed here but don't have many left in the first batch. http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......ick.html

Agree with your assessment. I also sent you a PM. As I stated in an earlier post, I generally hand the locked box to a spectator and ask them to check and make sure I remembered to lock it then put it somewhere safe. I never use words like "ordinary" or "completely normal" because no one talks like that unless they are hiding something. After over 200 performances I have yet to have it discovered but that is in part audience management. Don't give them a reason to suspect it and they won't look. Remember they don't know it's gaffed and even knowing it is within the few seconds to look in live performance it's unlikely to be sussed. They will be too busy signing the card/coin before hand and too flabberghasted after. Still it's reasonable to call it examinable I know from experience.

The video will go into some extensive detail regarding numerous loads and other things to get folks up to speed as rapidly as possible.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, The Duster wrote:
It was easy for me to justify buying... as my birthday is on the 27th

good things come in small packages [boxes]

Happy Birthday Brother!

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
As promised, here is a more extended video with some additional loads that will be taught in the instructional video. Hope you like them.

https://youtu.be/p3cOwoEIs70

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Dannicus wrote:
As promised, here is a more extended video with some additional loads that will be taught in the instructional video. Hope you like them.

Wow very incredible work. I'm clueless.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:

Wow very incredible work. I'm clueless.

Thank you so much, but you aren't fooling anyone...you may not know exactly how it's done but there is no way you are going to convince me you are clueless...I'm on to your game. You are a sly one Smile

Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:

Very deceptive and genius Smile
Congrats Dan on this amazing release ! definitely in my list.
Thank you for Qidi video , it gave me very valuable info Smile
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
Quote:
Quote:
We had our advance copy of Box 98 arrive and I must say so far I am very impressed with it.

I say so far because no instructions are online yet for it, so I can't comment on how easy the box is to handle until I watch them.

The quality of the box is good and it should stand up to a lot of use, it feels very sturdy and strong. The look of the box may not be to everyones liking but then its just a box!

As far as examination of the box, it says fully examinable which it is to an extent. When handing this to a spectator you should not be saying anything like look for any secret trap doors or whatever as if they poke around they may find something, but to give them the box and ask them to open it all should be fine as it looks and feels just like a box should.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video when its live as the speed at which the signed card gets in the box is amazing.

We have the item listed here but don't have many left in the first batch. http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......ick.html

Agree with your assessment. I also sent you a PM. As I stated in an earlier post, I generally hand the locked box to a spectator and ask them to check and make sure I remembered to lock it then put it somewhere safe. I never use words like "ordinary" or "completely normal" because no one talks like that unless they are hiding something. After over 200 performances I have yet to have it discovered but that is in part audience management. Don't give them a reason to suspect it and they won't look. Remember they don't know it's gaffed and even knowing it is within the few seconds to look in live performance it's unlikely to be sussed. They will be too busy signing the card/coin before hand and too flabberghasted after. Still it's reasonable to call it examinable I know from experience.

The video will go into some extensive detail regarding numerous loads and other things to get folks up to speed as rapidly as possible.

Totally agree, I was actually just talking with a friend on this subject. Most of the time, until we insist that a spectator examine something, or tell them that an object is completely normal or ordinary, a spectator would not have even suspected something to be to be wrong with it in the first place. Many times, WE are the ones implanting the idea in their heads that something could possibly be gaffed, even if it isn't. Of course there are certain exceptions, but a lot of times this is the case.

There are ways to have a spectator examine something without making it seem like we want them to make sure it isn't gimmicked. Something like, "i have a little box here that I got from [wherever]" and placing it in front of or near them is a simple example of introducing a prop, and letting them examine it if they want to without raising suspicion. Of course there are many different patterns lines/presentation but you get the idea.

Plus, especially in this case, most lay people are not aware that something like a box even COULD be gaffed. Let alone the fact that it is.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Maxy wrote:
Quote:

Very deceptive and genius Smile
Congrats Dan on this amazing release ! definitely in my list.
Thank you for Qidi video , it gave me very valuable info Smile

Was that you Maxy on my You Tube channel?haha awesome, glad I could help.

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, jamo425 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree, I was actually just talking with a friend on this subject. Most of the time, until we insist that a spectator examine something, or tell them that an object is completely normal or ordinary, a spectator would not have even suspected something to be to be wrong with it in the first place. Many times, WE are the ones implanting the idea in their heads that something could possibly be gaffed, even if it isn't. Of course there are certain exceptions, but a lot of times this is the case.

There are ways to have a spectator examine something without making it seem like we want them to make sure it isn't gimmicked. Something like, "i have a little box here that I got from [wherever]" and placing it in front of or near them is a simple example of introducing a prop, and letting them examine it if they want to without raising suspicion. Of course there are many different patterns lines/presentation but you get the idea.

Plus, especially in this case, most lay people are not aware that something like a box even COULD be gaffed. Let alone the fact that it is.

Exactly Jamo. As a youngster I was a purist. I avoided gaffed anything. I did cards, coins, ungimmicked cups and balls....you get the picture. I remember early on holding a coin in !@#$€r p@#m add scratching my head having a perfect view of the coin made me nervous. My brain equated what I could see and extrapolated it to everyone else but this is a trap. The truth is I could flash that coin all over the place given the right body english, confidence and lack of concern. And be as secure as anything.

I can and many times have produced a coin the size of a dinner plate that anyone could have seen except I psycologically didn't trip any triggers causing their cone of vision to focus somewhere I didn't want it.

Same holds true for props. Mentalists are generally better at this than magicians. Magicians sometimes can't seem to keep from trying to prove something is "normal" when there really is no need to do so. I like to use this analogy.

Imagine you are on a first date with the girl of your dreams. She goes to the ladies room and asks for you to get her a rum and Coke. They deliver it in a wildly colorful glass. When she comes back you start explaining that you got her drink. It's just a plain ordinary drink and there is nothing funny or unusual about it and she can even check it before she drinks it. She will at best think you a wierdo at worst a date rapist and really you set that tone by being defensive. Next ladies room break may well be to make a break for it.

Really the only justification needed for Box98 is that "I have a prediction or something valuable, or a special heirloom....whatever to show them at some point locked tight and safe. I ask them to chec make sure it's locked and I trust them to keep it safe. Why would even a magician or mentalalist need a locked box? So the spectator themself can keep him honest.

I don't worry one tiny bit about exposure and because I don't and am cavalier about it they won't check. I have fooled every magician and layperson I have done this for until now. Magicians don't expect a box that I hand out to be load gaffed; they are expecting a switch after I open it and laymen as you aporopriately said in your post have no idea either way.

Besides I have data on my side. When I said I wanted to make the perfect box I meant it. I don't think.. I KNOW it is effective and can statistically prove it. I said in an earlier post we left our final 5 designs on a shelf of a curio store for a week. We video surveiled them the whole week and every other design was looked at but this one was totally ignored. That's perfect. I was performing with the prototype as the final design was being finished. The prototypeb was dull and scratched like it had been years in the bottom of a kids toy box for a decade. Jon attended nt dhows incognito and timed elements. We tracked results on a speeadsheet and in 26 performances it was casually examined for a mean average of 3.6 seconds before being put in their pocket or purse to keep safe.

When the final model was done I sanded and it through 5 grits ending at 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Then off to the buffing wheel for mirror finish. Took it out for the first night performances and it was examined a whopping mean average of 20 seconds and was almost discovered. This held true for both models over 50 performances each.

It looks like it does, opens like it does, is finished like it is....every darned detail is by DESIGN. I did my best to bring the best MAGIC BOX to market that I could. If it had worked out that the best box was a glass polished box, I would have
produced that. It would have been priced at 3 or four times the amount but statistically speaking 60% less efficient. I'd have undoubtedly received better reviews from those who think they are "in the know" and would have made more money with less effort I can almost guarantee you. In this case however pandering to critics and people's preconceived purchase ideas was not my goal. The best possible magic was. I predict the very things that will make this a jewel for those who get past preconceptions will be the very things the naysayers will not like.

As many on this thread will attest I can make really pretty stuff, but I can prove that the real power in this was never ironclad examinability but in bland appearance combined with ability to load so nonchalant that it is almost surreal.

I fulfilled my obsession now we will see if the critics validate my prediction, or if real working guys give it a chance to see for themselves. At any rate I stand behind it 100% and I bet those learn to to use it will never want to give it up. I sure don't...

gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Anybody that has held one of Dans creations in there hands knows they have something very special in their possession. Every detail is so well thought out and executed to perfection. I sell mainly my own creations but have been proud to offer Dans products in the past. Handcrafted Miracles delivers.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
In this case we were not shooting for beauty. Quite honestly it isn't beautiful asthetically. I knew that. I was counting on it. But the numbers don't lie. It's its lack of asthetic appeal combined with the most natural loads ever seen that make it fly under the spectators radar. It comes down to this...do you want a beautiful prop or the most effective one?

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Dannicus wrote:
do you want a beautiful prop or the most effective one?

if you are counting assistants as props... than beautiful

whoops - did I vote the wrong way... don't tell me it's my fault trump got in
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
BTW I've already ordered [through Saturn] so ignore my rable making
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Dannicus wrote:
do you want a beautiful prop or the most effective one?

if you are counting assistants as props... than beautiful

whoops - did I vote the wrong way... don't tell me it's my fault trump got in

haha awesome! It's not my fault either BTW. and I will have to acquiesce on the assistant point as well.

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
So prophetically to one of my earlier posts, it seems as if after receiving an advanced copy with no instructions and after fiddling with it for what I assume was less than a day, the folks at Propdog have sadly elected not to carry Box 98.

Conversely, as many of the positive comments in this thread suggest I never do things on Arbitrary and Capricious grounds. The picture below represents just a small sampling of designs tested and discarded over hundreds of live performances prior to releasing it.

1)For us, while we have to make a living this has never been purely a money-making proposition it has been about putting out the stuff that makes the best impact in service to the art and fellow artists we love and respect. This is why we go the extra mile.
2)Not only do we stand behind our products we believe in them for a reason......we test them.....extensively.

After a year of design work to make it function as it does, to make it load cleaner, better and faster than anything ever produced (with practice and a knowledge of how of course, which would inherently require instructions) we tested aesthetic designs in live situations with real people for two years in order to ensure it delivers on every level. I don't THINK it works I KNOW it works. As always I wouldn't have released it otherwise. Jon and I are extremely busy churning these out for the next few weeks, but you can rest assured we will help in any way possible to ensure it works for you as well because that's who we are.

Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
I have a plain black plastic coin/ring box which is 100% examinable and is used primarily for stealing.
However, the steal is slightly awkward and a natural load is near impossible.
For me the appeal of the Box-Ninety Eight would be the easy load, which
in turn would compensate for it not being 100% tamper proof.
A rattle feature would have been nice, but 'hey', it' isn't necessary.
Really looking forward to this. My mind is going in all directions,just thinking of the possibilities.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Uncle Joe wrote:
I have a plain black plastic coin/ring box which is 100% examinable and is used primarily for stealing.
However, the steal is slightly awkward and a natural load is near impossible.
For me the appeal of the Box-Ninety Eight would be the easy load, which
in turn would compensate for it not being 100% tamper proof.
A rattle feature would have been nice, but 'hey', it' isn't necessary.
Really looking forward to this. My mind is going in all directions,just thinking of the possibilities.

Joe you have hit on the one thing that has eluded me thus far with box 98, the rattle. nearly everything I have tried either hindered the current functionality, didn't sound authentic, or could not easily (read innocuously) be engaged/disengaged. I have one currently in development that I hope to make an add on to the current box. It would be available for purchase for those needing that feature at a modest price, therefore eliminating the need for the purchase of a new box. Like many of you, I dislike the practice of having to decide on buying the latest model to obtain new functionality, so I tried to take that into consideration in this case. At most, you may have to purchase a new lid, or remove and reinstall the lock (a couple of screws).

Congrats on pointing out my Achilles heel with this design though Smile

Dan

Smile Smile

simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
One of the most successful boxes in terms of sales in recent times has been David Penn's Mystery Solved Box which is totally UNEXAMINABLE. But, like many props, good routining and audience management are crucial. With Box 98, it is clearly the same - sometimes we as magicians see problems that the audience don't see or think about! And we even see problems BEFORE we have even tried the effect out in the real world.

Sometimes effects are released when clearly they haven't been performed in the real world, and practical problems then surface thereafter. I don't have this concern here. I'm really looking forward to receiving this. Dan very kindly shared with me part of the instructional videos covering the loading techniques and they are genius. Happy Xmas everyone!
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Were Propdog annoyed that had NOT got any instructional video - and that's why they decided to not stock it [?]

is it normal to send items out with no instructions to see if shops want to buy it in [?]

be interested to know why they decided against it

as I said - I've already bought this - so it's not going to change my mind - I'm just curious as to how they came to their decsion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Box Ninety-Eight by Hand Crafted Miracles (218 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..15~16~17 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL