The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Jar by Kozmo (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
That trailer is excellent! I love the face palm Kozmo does after the whole Ellusionist ,smokey, flash video. Hilarious!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Kozmo wrote:
Ive done this 30,000 times.....seriously....its a fricking jar...they've already looked at it.....plus the height of the jar is critical..... Ive thought this thing out. Ive gone out and used it over and over and over again....I looked at 1000 jars....

Are you using Jars as in "pints of beer"? Smile

Or literally jars for jam, marmalade and other things that come in jars?

I bet you have had a couple of jars of beer though over the years! If you ever want a proper beer you are welcome to come to Burton On Trent where I live - the home of beer! Oh and Marmite. Smile

Have a great Christmas Koz!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You have a great xmas too......I will consider that an invite Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I don't know Koz, I really liked that mysterious trailer you started with Garrett. I wanta see the rest of that one! Smile

Looks great. I think I'm gonna pop for this one.

Tell me though, does this work OK at tables where everyone is sitting down and lower in relation to the jar than people standing like in the trailer?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yep..its great because the height of the jar is perfect....they can't see in there....
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
To be fair - someone has come up with an idea and becuase you have guessed the method, you think it's now lame! And some people wonder why magic trailers are becoming increasingly misleading?

For once this.was an honest trailer that shows exactly what you are getting. If you don't like it, don't buy it but don't trash a perfectly workable method that a skilled performer could use. Yes imho the dump is strange but so is a lot of moves in magic. All you guys guessing - just think to yourselves : if it's that obvious an idea - why haven't you been using this s until you saw a trailer and made it up?

Will I buy this? No , but I already do a similar thing with a jar and no gimmicks. But it is a good thing idea as a method in any case.
There is no holy grail!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well you might buy it after you see all the things it can do....its fantastic for a hold out for the 3 shell game....shawn farghuar came up with an idea with salt and pepper packages.....the sugar packet routine is fantastic....and why would you use anything other than this jar with coin to glass? The coin penetrations are extremely visual.....I keep saying this and I will prove this as we go along....this is not just about a card switch even though the switch is very clean and Ive been doing ti for 20 years with no issues
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Just an FYI, it is now on Kozmo's site.

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/the-jar/

Robert
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
Koz - Are you going to be selling these on your lecture tour (attending your lecture in March) along with the items for the sugar packet routine?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
.... I just wish I was better at that dang mercury fold! Smile
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Seek Tommy Wonder and you will find the road to MF success
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Get perfect score, problem solved!!!!
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Seek Tommy Wonder and you will find the road to MF success

He didn't use a MF for his ring box routine.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
His two-second fold is just before the ring box routine in Books of Wonder, Vol. 1, pg. 136

Dave
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2016, Daren wrote:
Get perfect score, problem solved!!!!

Perfect score is awesome!
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
First of all, that must be the best trailer EVER. lol

This comment got me thinking:

Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Kozmo wrote:
Garrett has a method where you don't turn the jars over.

Although I agree with Ray (that the handling in the trailer is not natural), Garret's method might be a game changer. Just saying.

Max Hazy
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, Kozmo wrote:
There are several methods to doing the switch on the dvd....Garrett has a method where you don't turn the jars over. I prefer my method as I've done it 30,000 times...... all over the world

Would like to see Garrett's no jar turn handling.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Heres some ideas that Ray Raymond had with The Jar for the shell game ....... I think this is pretty good

https://youtu.be/xlUzZwV1UOc
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Kozmo, Ray Raymond ideas are really awesome.
I'm pretty sure the jar could be a wicked prop to do the coins to glass too.
Hell, even the ring and string could go wild with this... I can see a lot of possibilities here.

But what got me interested in this was exactly how it was marketed. Because you're absolutely right... mystery box and other switch devices don't exist in the real world. They call attention. This might be a game changer. But honestly, the handling in the trailer is not the most natural way to take something from a jar. So right now, I don't see it working for me.

If I was to take something from a jar, I would remove the lid and only then turn the jar to let the object fall from the jar. Or pick the object directly from the jar. After that, a switch would probably involve something not so natural. A mystery box do call attention... but have a natural handling to convince and can be carried in the pocket (unlike the jar). If I were to do an effect like this, I would rather do the folded card to shoe (the shoe also exist in the real world and take no pocket space, unlike the mystery box and the jar).

This is also a force to be reckoned with. I think a performer can do an entire act using this jar with cards, coins, rings, folded billet, shell monte, etc... but this would call attention to the jar.

Measuring pros and cons on the balance, I'm still on the fence.

Quote:
On Dec 24, 2016, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Would like to see Garrett's no jar turn handling.

Me too. I also have a handling in mind, but I don't know how it would play.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well you could do your entire act with the jar. But because its gimmicked does not mean you have to use that gimmick for every effect. I do coins to glass but don't use the gimmick because I use it later in my show. Garretts choice was to use it for his coin routine with a visually stunning Penetration. For me when I'm doing walk around I use it for the sugar packet. However the sugar packet uses the same glass turn over and display that is used in the card routine. After doing this effect for 1000's of performances I can say with out doubt that the unnaturalness is eliminated by the display and patter that I use. Sugar packets are not magnetic so theres virtually no heat on that Lid nor is there any heat on the card.....

I like this a lot and so do a lot of pros who have seen this and worked on ideas for this.

John Born had an idea for a sports prediction. Walkinto a party with the jar and 2 folded up pieces of paper on paper clips and make a prediction of the winner and the score..... Killer stuff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Jar by Kozmo (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.56 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL