The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OX Bender by Menny Lendenfeld (286 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..32~33~34 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Dannicus,

Some magicians I personally know don't understand why I spend so much money in magic. Some even go so far as to say that they don't need gimmicks and they do the same effecs without any special stuff. Personally, I think many gimmicks allow us to perform effects that are impossible otherwise, much cleaner effects. If I want the strongest effect, like Joshua Jay likes to say, I don't mind using gimmicks. Although I do mind spending too much money.

Of course, why purchasing other materials to perform the same effects... First because we may appreciate sometimes to switch methods, so it may not become too boring for ourselves (at least for me), and that for people who see us performing more than once, it would help canceling out methods.

Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, kissdadookie wrote:
You're the one that didn't read carefully. You missed the fact that the only thing I pointed out from your post that made your whole stand on the topic nonsensical was your bit about where the audience is looking.

"where the audience is looking" -> you have forgotten to add "during the critical moment when you apply some strength or execute a very unnatural move".

Again, I love how you have yet again just ignored the fact that I debunked your nonsensical worries, twice already. The fact that I had to explain it to you in the first place demonstrates that you are likely rubbish at understanding audience psychology and a large part of how misdirection works. Are you now going to ignore it yet again and complain about how I'm not grasping your failed argument? That really only further solidifies the fact that your stubbornness is blinding you from seeing reality of the matter.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Kisadokie, do you actually perform for people or are your opinions just based on what you think happens in the real world. You seem way too mean spirited to entertain real people. No one likes to be around someone like that.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, Dannicus wrote:
Mh1001, that's the way I see it too. I used to be a purist, one of those guys who disdained using any gimmicks at all. I never used gaffed cards, coins, did the cups and balls with no chop cup. And was actually kinda snobby about it.

As I aged I learned that often the magic is enhanced by items that allow for fewer slights and therefore a much better focus on presentation. I have moved much further into mentalism in the last 10 years, It has taught me that performance is everything. Now I actually look for ways to simplify as opposed to having to make too many sleight moves.

That is not to say that I regret all of the time I put into sleights it gave me a good foundation and I still buy releases and work on advanced sleight of hand but in reality that is mostly because I like doing it. For magicians it's great, but most I will never use for laymen because there is no need. What ever spreads joy and magic, is done well, and most importantly each person is comfortable with is what I think they should use.

Regarding the benders, I am very comfortable designing routines with built in misdirection so whether I use the Ox or the QB I suspect I will likely execute the bend on the offbeat because for myself I cant think of a reason to challenge the audience by executing either while my hands are being burned. Especially when it is so easy and every it as effective to do it when they are not.

As far as I am concerned even though something CAN be accomplished while someone is burning you it does not mean that is always the best way to perform it. I think effective misdirection and the psychology and physiology behind it is by far the most subtle and yet simultaneously the most powerful tool in a working pros toolbox. When you can easily control the audiences attention you can do most anything.

Thanks for the positive, helpful, posts.
That's always appreciated.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, Yuan Moons wrote:
Kisadokie, do you actually perform for people or are your opinions just based on what you think happens in the real world. You seem way too mean spirited to entertain real people. No one likes to be around someone like that.

Real world. That's where I've figured most of this out in the first place.

I've gone through lengths to point things out not only to then have it all be ignored but instead get a "you didn't read what I posted" thrown back at me, come on. I reply based on the posts I'm reading, I wouldn't reply if I haven't read and thought about the post I have read.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Great bender, really really like it!
I just predict that the material will take the Sealed 2.0 route someday.
It's the next logical step. Handling, feel, performance: awesome!
Ox doesn't need to hide from QB or Coinvexed, seriously.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, 252life wrote:

Thanks brother!
I can't see any reason to be otherwise.. I am excited to receive this new tool and quite frankly the debate over the best method is Magician's preference, QB has been destroying audiences for years and will continue to do so for many more. It sounds like Ox is going to be equally great, and hopefully it will prove to be just as durable and practical. I think it will be fun to see what new uses I can design around it to vary my performances. I just think it's cool that this thread stimulated me to come up with a pre-bend method I can use and be happy with, amd with the Ox on the way I will potentially have 3 solid methods where before I had just one. I love the variety. Let's face it laymen could care less and should have no clue regardless if any of these methods are done well.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, Dannicus wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2017, 252life wrote:

Thanks brother!
I can't see any reason to be otherwise.. I am excited to receive this new tool and quite frankly the debate over the best method is Magician's preference, QB has been destroying audiences for years and will continue to do so for many more. It sounds like Ox is going to be equally great, and hopefully it will prove to be just as durable and practical. I think it will be fun to see what new uses I can design around it to vary my performances. I just think it's cool that this thread stimulated me to come up with a pre-bend method I can use and be happy with, amd with the Ox on the way I will potentially have 3 solid methods where before I had just one. I love the variety. Let's face it laymen could care less and should have no clue regardless if any of these methods are done well.

It's always a good idea to know how to do a good prebend. If you were left with no bender and without any prepped coins, you can still prep one up in a split second using an available door Smile
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Great Idea...I hotta try that!
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2017, Jared wrote:
I finally got a chance to perform the Ox Bender last night at my local pub (first time in the field)...It went fantastic! People were BLOWN away and the demonstration looked so incredibly fair. I did not have my holdout with me, so instead I just pulled the bender halfway out of my back pocket. While the spectators were busy signing the quarter, I secured the bender without any fumbling whatsoever. What was so impressive is that I did "the move" while multiple people were literally BURNING my hands as I recapped the Sharpie. Indeed, I reached an unprecedented level of comfort in coin bending using minimal misdirection.

As I said before, I will likely use this a LOT because it's so lightweight and portable.

Jared, thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your performance videos with your unique handling, which convinced me to place my order for Ox Bender. Your handling makes a huge difference in how convincing the effect appears.

Very nice. Thank you again.
rgemagic
View Profile
New user
uk
55 Posts

Profile of rgemagic
I think this is a great prop although uk users will have issues with steel coins (2p 10p new). However although small I have just discovered the 5p is a dream to use.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Thank you, Bill, (Stunninger) for the nice compliment and to everyone else who sent me messages of praise for sharing my video clips and notes with the community. I actually replied to more than 75+ Café members during the past week. But more importantly, I hope that most of you are now convinced that the Ox Bender is an excellent bending tool worthy of your attention. Menny really did an incredible job with this device...Now let's put it to work by blowing peoples minds!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Jared is a genius! his handling and thoughts using OX is amazing! great stuff Jared! Thank You again!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
marco dra
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of marco dra
I've received yesterday The Ox straight from Menny.
The gimmick'looks cool,Fit perfect in hand , a segret link show the video.
Clear explanation ,i've try The gimmick with 1 euro cents (a little Small coin),2,5 and 10 euro cents and work great! An invisibile move and The coin is bend! After practice a little in home, bende 20/25 coins (gimmick's show little signs But I'm thinking The ox can bend thousands coins with no problems...I don't think we'll seen a 2.0 version...) I get out and do The tricK to My Friend in a pub, They seen many of My Tricks, one of this Guy is a P... I. T.. A.. because all The time he try to spot me and make thousands questions...this time I've Fried Him! Peoples simply Say Nothing or "not possible", The "move" is Very fast.... The coin Was showed to everybody in The pub,i've see people pass the coin table to tale, everybody looks me and Everybody try to bend it back The coin!!!! Amazing...
This routine left to people an impossible object praticAlly....
This Will stay in My pocket for a Long time!
A+!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
My friend showed me the OX. I used it and played enough with it.

With so many people praising the OX, all I will say is - I will go the QB way and drop the OX. The OX is NOT for me. Just my personal preference of like-n-dislike.

Thank you and continue please . . . Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I do think the Ox Bender will replace my Quantum Bender, lighter, no marks on the coin and cheaper..

Will post a full review after playing a little bit more with it.
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Care to expand Ustaad? I'm interested in your reasons...
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:
I do think the Ox Bender will replace my Quantum Bender, lighter, no marks on the coin and cheaper..

Will post a full review after playing a little bit more with it.

I don't have marks on my coins.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
On today's live hangout I share all the details on how to get your hands on a FREE signed copy of Ox Bender by Menny Lindenfeld. Good luck guys!

The direct link to the FB post to enter is:
https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSup......&theater

Visit our Instagram feed here:
http://instagram.com/murphysmagic
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, PRINCE wrote:

Care to expand Ustaad? I'm interested in your reasons...

In my above post you would have noticed that I have been quite defensive (which isn't my style) while posting my thoughts on the OX. The reason being that many of our members have great praise for the OX for reasons best known to them. OK, since you asked for it, here are MY reasons:-

After playing and spending quite some time with the OX, I had to reject it outright on the following grounds:-

1. The working mechanism of the OX (ignoring the shape of the device) is exactly identical to QB. However the QB is slender, while comparatively the OX being thick and bulky. IMO the OX device is not suitable for small (&/or weak) hands.

2. While the heat is on the hot hand, the device is quite cumbersome to handle and use effectively when compared with QB.

3. The OX needs an additional item i.e. a Sharpie (as suggested by the creator) so as to hide/divert audience attention during the bending action process. The need of an additional prop (Sharpie) for diverting spectator's attention itself proves that the OX device isn't very user friendly when put to use.

4. Loading and bending of a coin in the face of the spectator is not as easy as one would so think.

5. While the OX device is in the HOT hand, One needs lot of deliberate misdirection so as to divert audience attention as well as during the loading and bending process.

6. The creator has been harping (and is one of the main selling point) on the extremely light weight of OX. Well IMO the weight of the two devices (both the OX & QB fall in the gram weight category) are of very little importance and is of little or no consequence while doing the real bend. The main criteria should be (once again IMO Smile ) ease of use and handling of the device while maintaining deception.

7. And with regards to deception, the OX need to be kept well hidden all the time, while the QB can be easily shown.

Now that I have used both, the OX and the QB, I find QB much easy to work with in all respect.

Just MY thoughts and opinion on the newly released OX Bender.

Thank you.

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:

I do think the Ox Bender will replace my Quantum Bender, lighter, no marks on the coin and cheaper.

@ Alex: Well, as you are also a creator, if those are your only three benchmarks (lighter, no marks on the coin and cheaper) of judging the effectiveness and usefulness of a prop, I have nothing left to say. Thank you for your opinion.

This is one very good example which shows how the friends and followers of the creator use their hype machine to waylay and try to deceive their prospective buyers. This, IMO, is not good for our magic and the magic community as a whole.

Thank you.

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » OX Bender by Menny Lendenfeld (286 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..32~33~34 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL