The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2004 entrée: Simon Lovell » » Practice, practice, practice??!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicbear
View Profile
New user
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
70 Posts

Profile of magicbear
Simon,

I'm just getting back into magic in my retirement and I'm having so much fun with it I regret I waited so long. I am much, much too old to be of the MTV generation, but sometime instant gratification isn't soon enough. Even when I am more patient and can delay gratification, I often quickly become bored practicing a paticular slieght. In another post you commented you practiced until your hands bled. So, how do you motivate yourself to practice and when practicing how do you stay focused?

I greatly enjoyed seeing you at the LVMI last fall and look forward to seeing you at PCAM2004.

Thanks,
Hugh
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
I really don't need much motivation - I actually really enjoy practising!

On days when I'm a bit tired or so I'll put a beer on the floor in front of me and make a deal with myself. Every time I hit what I'm practising ten times perfectly in a row (or as perfectly as I can get it!) then I can have a sip (just one) of the beer. I'll practise till the can is empty. Steve Davis (a World Champion snooker player) used to do the same thing with a sandwich (he loves to eat!) when practising snooker shots. Ecery time his break was more than 30 he could have a bite of the sandwich.

Motivation is all about rewards. Apart from the reward of your magic getting better give yourself other incentives - perhaps a cigarette (if you are smoker!), a drink, food, a late night movie or somesuch.
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
Hi Simon,
Nice tips on playing motivational games on oneself but don't you also agree with Jack Merlin? "To me practice is something I cannot resist. I practice because I enjoy it. When I force mysef to do it, I accomplish nothing."
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
I actually, not to be rotten, agree with Vernon who said that if you don't enjoy practice you should find a new hobby!

To do magic you need to practice!!

Jack Merlin just said it nicer!!
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
70 Posts

Profile of magicbear
Oops. You mean there are people who really enjoy practice. That certainly would be the key and I believe it must be true. Not to be contrary, but if you enjoy it, why would you need to reward yourself with a beer? I have always said I gave up magic in my teens because I discovered girls. But maybe it was this practice thing. I mean practicing magic is a lot better than having to practice the piano when I was a kid, but after doing a move about ten times, it isn't fun anymore and my mind starts to drift. So I go onto a different slieght and come back to it later, but I think I would progress much faster if I could do 30 or 40 reps in a row. Vernon's dictum seems a little absolute, and with my erratic practice regimen I progress slowly, so I guess I will bumble along and hopefully the joy of practice will materialize sooner or later.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hugh
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
Not to be contrary, but if you enjoy it, why would you need to reward yourself with a beer

Simon can correct me (he likes that) but your "question" was already asked and answered. Generally, Simon mentioned he enjoys practice. Since practice is a requisite to quality performance, on the days he is "a bit tired" he motivates himself by offering himself a reward.

In your case, it should be obvious that if you had a gorgeous, hot saucy temptress of deception in front of you-- but made a deal with yourself that you couldn't be "waylaid by an amorous adventure" until you finished your practice goals for the day, you'd be a better magician.

Just look what it did for Pressley Guitar!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My wife gives me a cookie when I do it right. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
It was Peter Revson that once said, "Yes, Pete is quick with the shutter, especially a pink shutter on a brown house-- and he really loves those cookies.

I had no idea what he was talking about until now.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Ah I love it when a sensible post decends to depravity - the true reward for practice.

You can always rely on Pete and Randino to muddy up the road! Whenever I am with either I always make sure that I enough money on me to make bail!

But yes, Randino you are correct about liking practice but some days needing that extra incentive to really get going properly!
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
Whenever I am with either I always make sure that I enough money on me to make bail!

Quick thinking, Batman-- but you what would that have to do with Mr. Biro and myself?
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
You mean you aren't actually Batman and Bobkin - the new reality TV heros?
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Don't forget rehearsal too!
Daniel Faith
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Don't magicians who truly love the art love to practice and rehearse?
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
Don't magicians who truly love the art love to practice and rehearse?
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2004-03-29 22:23, KidMagic87 wrote:
Don't magicians who truly love the art love to practice and rehearse?Don't magicians who truly love the art love to practice and rehearse?

Glad to see there is someone who loves typing!
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I love practicing and learning in general. I practice sporadically while at work. Any chance I get, I'm either reading or practicing a sleight. When I'm home, I do at least an hour every night. I've never done the reward thing, but I'm definitely going to start! We all get tired, or discouraged, at times and that is a great way to stay motivated!

Thanks Simon!!!

Shaheed

P.S. I loved your act at the Aces of Magic! I missed some of the first act, but I liked everything I did see. All the young performers did well and Torkova was just awesome!
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Thanks I think we are all agreed that practice AND rehearsal are very important and should be fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2004 entrée: Simon Lovell » » Practice, practice, practice??!!! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL