The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On May 22, 2017, stookie31 wrote:
Here's my exact script:

I ask if they have a fav super hero
I say "mine is lolly man" and I show my lolly man top trump card
I then say "I even have the action figure with me" (take out the lolly)
I show that "each action figure comes with a free cape" (the wrapper gag)
"He has a big fat head, skinny body and tastes delicious" - "would you like a lick" (the reaction here creates misdirection needed for the move)

Every beat gets a massive laugh.

I then ask each person in one word, to describe the hero named, as each does I 'chew' the lolly.
Once they are round the group, I say "remember lolly man, he can morph into any super hero'

Then reveal.

If they don't name Batman or Superman, I go into using the top trumps game presentation and then onto the above for the card I 'haven't seen.'

@ Impulse: Thanks for your input Smile

Steve, now that makes a lot of sense. Love it! I can imagine how funny that would sound to lay audience Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, StarManager wrote:
I LOVE this! It's better as a casual starter at a party or dinner than a part of an act. Pulling it out. Staring at it. Having a few sucks on the round one. I'm keeping it in my cheek as I ask if they prefer Kennedy, John Wayne, Superman or Elvis. Then ask "at what age between 25 and 45? Then when they are deciding Out it comes, wet and round. Then back in as the hero. Doesn't matter who they pick or what age as Superman looks like all these guys. Doesn't mater if they figure that out. Or the age. Just adds to the comedy and the oddity of how the hell you do that. Finally - I am going back at the end to a round Tootsie-pop that is real (Cherry) and eventually after seeing the whole thing out comes the real lolly from my mouth. Usually after the entire thing is over and discussion is on another topic. If nobody notices, I just leave it on the napkin. Eventually the place notices it is back to a regular pop and it is now (grossly) examinable . . . Hope this helps some of you.

AWESOME PRESENTATION. NO NEED REALLY FOR ANY EXTRA PROPS...
Smile Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I really like the presentation idea of letting them choose John Wayne, Elvis, Superman, etc. never occurred to me that the Supe pop could pass for all these! I wonder if George Clooney will work??
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
This is why I like the magic Community. one trick turns into so much more when everyone puts there own spin on it.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Exactly! The magic Café is definitely for our benefit. So much great ideas and contribution here. I could not live without it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, daffydoug wrote:
Exactly! The magic Café is definitely for our benefit. So much great ideas and contribution here. I could not live without it.

Not sure if you have facebook, the lolli hero facebook group has some nice ideas there as well Smile
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
I got to get this trick I love the videos I have seen so far.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
You will love it impulse. The suckers look so real, it's crazy. All of Steves magic is well made Smile
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
This is how NOT to present lolly hero on national TV

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bgts-matt-ed......6634.amp
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Not really his fault there , was it?
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, MazingMandy wrote:

Well it did not help by saying Lolly Hero at the end of the bit

One Google of Lolly Hero and the game is up !
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Same could be said of many things.
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:

I totally agree. The name of a trick should never be mentioned to an audience. Even more so on TV. The trick just received a blow imo. That's a shame.
There are other ways to call it (Super Lolli, Lolli Man, Super Sucker...).
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, makulit974 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I totally agree. The name of a trick should never be mentioned to an audience. Even more so on TV. The trick just received a blow imo. That's a shame.
There are other ways to call it (Super Lolli, Lolli Man, Super Sucker...).

He said 'I'm a lolly hero' totally different to naming the trick.
People wont google lolly hero from that statement, they will google, batman lollypop trick or similar.

The media latching on to the fact the card could be read is crazy, they missed the point of the magic all together and are getting caught up in something 'negative' as always with the media.

I always get them to name a hero and carve the head, it doesn't make it less magical because I know the hero, my audience reaction tells me that.
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of makulit974
[quote]On May 30, 2017, stookie31 wrote:
[quote]On May 30, 2017, makulit974 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The media latching on to the fact the card could be read is crazy, they missed the point of the magic all together and are getting caught up in something 'negative' as always with the media.

I always get them to name a hero and carve the head, it doesn't make it less magical because I know the hero, my audience reaction tells me that.

Yes this part is crazy. Is it the media in general or just the Mirror?
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
A few online uk reports, Matt has given some statements, basically saying just that, the trick is not about who, but the fact he carved the face fomr a lollypop.
ahehe7
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ahehe7
Hey Steve, have been loving this effect since I bought it, but I was wondering if you sold extra "regular" lollipop heads (that aren't sculpted). There's a lot of talk here about how people can name either Superman or Batman, but since we're only given one regular lollipop head we can only be set up for one and not both.

I think it would make sense as it would allow both lollipops to be set up and we can remove either one instantaneously as soon as one of those heroes are named.

Also, I thought I'd share something I've been working on, I've been a big superhero fan myself so I put together a script that makes it rather easy to verbally force Superman and Batman (S&B) on most audiences (larger than 1 person).

I start by asking one person to "name two very distinctly different superheroes." If no one immediately blurts out S&B, I will quickly mention "for example, Wolverine and Flash, one is a DARK, cold-blooded killing machine, the other is a quick-witted man of justice. Could someone give me another example of 2 very different superheroes?" By pausing VERY slightly, you give people some time to think, but not enough to say any obscure answers. More often than not at this point someone will say S&B when asked this question, especially since you've already eliminated two famous superheroes, Wolverine and Flash. If they still don't mention S&B, I would follow up with the line "How about one that's an alien and one that's human" which will only solidify these two as Superman is the most famous alien superhero, and Batman is human beyond belief with no powers.

Scenario 2:
IF they do say S&B before you mention Wolverine or Flash, I follow up with "That's a good one! Kind of like Wolverine & Flash! But better! We'll go with those two instead!" and move on. This kind of gives them a false memory as they may remember it as they could've named those two as well.

Scenario 3:
If they do say S&B before I mention one being alien and the other one human I'll follow up with I they do say S&B I say "oh that's great! One's alien, one has no superpowers, one thrives at night, the other during the day."

Scenario 4:
If they don't mention S&B you ask other people for ideas until they say it they you justify it with Scenario 3's quote. Or they keep mentioning other superheroes you shove your lollipop down their throa... just kidding. You can just bring it up yourself if you really want to keep going, or just don't go into the effect, but I haven't had this happen yet. This can be easily avoided by choosing the right people to perform this for.

End result:
After S&B has been named you're golden to go to a second spectator and ask them to pick one of the two, and you can build the climax by saying how all of this was a completely free choice, they picked S&B, they could've chosen W&F, etc. etc.

Possible alternative:
I still kind of think this effect plays better as a mentalism trick though, so I've been thinking of ways to have someone just think of one but still know who was chosen without having them tell me. I was thinking about writing an S and a B, or drawing simplified logos, on 2 business cards (marked by any means possible) after they name the two, then just having them pick one, and I would identify which one was chosen then reveal accordingly. If anyone has any better ideas on that that'd be fantastic.
mayhem
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of mayhem
Good ideas.. I might use a bit of this myself... I ended up ordering another set as I wanted more than just the two supplied.

Hoping to eventually just buy multiple lollis with different colors at a 'refill' price versus buying the whole effect at normal price...
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, ahehe7 wrote:
Hey Steve, have been loving this effect since I bought it, but I was wondering if you sold extra "regular" lollipop heads (that aren't sculpted). There's a lot of talk here about how people can name either Superman or Batman, but since we're only given one regular lollipop head we can only be set up for one and not both.

I think it would make sense as it would allow both lollipops to be set up and we can remove either one instantaneously as soon as one of those heroes are named.

Also, I thought I'd share something I've been working on, I've been a big superhero fan myself so I put together a script that makes it rather easy to verbally force Superman and Batman (S&B) on most audiences (larger than 1 person).

I start by asking one person to "name two very distinctly different superheroes." If no one immediately blurts out S&B, I will quickly mention "for example, Wolverine and Flash, one is a DARK, cold-blooded killing machine, the other is a quick-witted man of justice. Could someone give me another example of 2 very different superheroes?" By pausing VERY slightly, you give people some time to think, but not enough to say any obscure answers. More often than not at this point someone will say S&B when asked this question, especially since you've already eliminated two famous superheroes, Wolverine and Flash. If they still don't mention S&B, I would follow up with the line "How about one that's an alien and one that's human" which will only solidify these two as Superman is the most famous alien superhero, and Batman is human beyond belief with no powers.

Scenario 2:
IF they do say S&B before you mention Wolverine or Flash, I follow up with "That's a good one! Kind of like Wolverine & Flash! But better! We'll go with those two instead!" and move on. This kind of gives them a false memory as they may remember it as they could've named those two as well.

Scenario 3:
If they do say S&B before I mention one being alien and the other one human I'll follow up with I they do say S&B I say "oh that's great! One's alien, one has no superpowers, one thrives at night, the other during the day."

Scenario 4:
If they don't mention S&B you ask other people for ideas until they say it they you justify it with Scenario 3's quote. Or they keep mentioning other superheroes you shove your lollipop down their throa... just kidding. You can just bring it up yourself if you really want to keep going, or just don't go into the effect, but I haven't had this happen yet. This can be easily avoided by choosing the right people to perform this for.

End result:
After S&B has been named you're golden to go to a second spectator and ask them to pick one of the two, and you can build the climax by saying how all of this was a completely free choice, they picked S&B, they could've chosen W&F, etc. etc.

Possible alternative:
I still kind of think this effect plays better as a mentalism trick though, so I've been thinking of ways to have someone just think of one but still know who was chosen without having them tell me. I was thinking about writing an S and a B, or drawing simplified logos, on 2 business cards (marked by any means possible) after they name the two, then just having them pick one, and I would identify which one was chosen then reveal accordingly. If anyone has any better ideas on that that'd be fantastic.

I will save you a lot of trouble. If you have a larger group. Ask them all to yell out their favorite superheros. If no one says batman or superman. Just say oh..did someone say batman. Okay will use him Smile ((same applies to superman))
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Finally picked this up. Definitely looking forward to using these great props!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe (59 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL