The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to repair and strengthen my suit pockets (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
My props are killing my suits one by one.. I have four suits and one coat and ALL OF THEM has torn pockets.. I could pay someone to fix it for me but I'd rather learn to do it myself.
Is this a known problem for us magicians?
Any tips on where/how to start is greatly appreciated!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I have taken my suits and pants with torn pockets to a tailor. The pockets have been thoroughly re-enforced. It cost me $5.00 per pocket and it was worth every penny.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Don't know what you are carrying in your pockets, but you can make dividers with small pockets to hold different items and insert them into the pocket.

As far as sewing, there are books on sewing at fabric stores. Also you can take sewing classes at places like JoAnn Fabric store.

Unfortunately to work on pockets you have to get the lining loose on the inside and work between the layers. There are iron on patches, that may be a quick way to repair, but the fabric has to be lint free, or it will not stick.

There is also some sticky strips that can be applied with a piece of fabric on top, sort of like a bandage.

Your pockets sound like they made the pockets out of lining material, usually they are made of a heavier white fabric.

A good seamstress can fix it better then yourself.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
It sounds like you are carrying too much stuff in your pockets? Tommy Wonder made a big deal explaining that even though he wore a jacket while performing he very rarely used any of the pockets since having lots of things in pockets made the suit bulge and out of shape. To prevent this he had special vest under his jacket that had multiple pockets for all his props and his jacket looked perfect.

Juha-Matti
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just take them to an alterations shop. They have the experience for a quality repair and the price is nice.

Some hard props really take a toll on the pocket. The pocket, that I put my JOL wallet in, shows no wear at all.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
The suggestion to create some inserts is a good one. Making thise would be a good place to start to learn sewing. I agree with others that deconstructing a jacket to fix the pockets is better left to a tailor given the moderate cost of repair. It is an art more than a science. If you mess up an insert you can toss it in the garbage.
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Buy some iron-on patches and apply them to the inside of your pockets. When I've done this, I folded them in half, putting the fold along the bottom to protect the seam. You can find the patches at Joann Fabric stores or I've also seen them at grocery and drug stores that have a rack for sewing supplies. You can also do this when you first buy a pair of pants to keep the wear from happening. Having the pockets replaced is probably the best answer, but the patches are cheaper.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Would a holster make a difference?
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all! I decided to simply fold the pockets over and sow a new seam. Worked great!

Thank you all again:)
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
Reinvent every trick you know so that they are all propless, you will then have no need for clothes at all and can perform naked. This is my preferred style.
-T
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
That would be my preferred method as well, except my customers definitely would not like the view
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
You can also re-enforce the pockets. Take them to a quality tailor they charged me $10 per pocket!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Dear Montana 76,

usually heavy props destroy every modern suit. The fabrics are lighter than the heavy woolen suits from the 19th and early 20th century. Even Tuxedos and dinner jackets from the 1960s and 1970s are strong and stiff - even heavy objects will not "print" on the outside. But this helps only with some oldfashioned style ....
I have good results with storing objects in vests/ waistcoats. A lightweight modern suit can move freely and is not torn apart. I regularly use vests delivered by www.dobell.com - some time ago known as www.mytuxedo.com. They also sell small hankies with identical fabric. With this extra fabric you or your tailor can add extra pockets to the vest.
Jeremy Soon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
14 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Soon
I send them to a tailor and request them to be re-enforced. I always wear a vest together with my suit. Helps to divide carrying the props between them.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here may be on answer to your question: http://www.chazpro.com/trick-indexer/

When buying suits or dress jackets, always ask for the Classic cut. There are different kinds of styles. Classic, French, etc. Classic cut is the best for magic, as the recent "to small" look is not flattering to most men.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How to repair and strengthen my suit pockets (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL