The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Which catalogs to keep? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Over the years I have amassed a HUGE supply of old magic catalogs. As I continue collecting tricks and books, I find that I often refer back to those catalogs for help with descriptions and identification. I definitely have too many though, so my question is, which ones should I keep?
My guess is that I should keep an example of catalogs by each of the major companies (Thayer, Abbotts, P&L, Supreme), but just one? Or maybe I should keep a really old copy and a more recent copy.
And what about other catalogs put out by little brick and mortar magic shops? Any reason to keep those? I probably have catalogs from 30 or 40 tiny shops across the country.
What do you think?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3707 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Glad I'm not the only one! I did keep all the Ron Allesi catalogs. They all had pics, and are a great resource for magic collectors and dealers.

Steve
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6904 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It all depends on how big your storage facility IS!

Hanging around with Jay Marshall all those years, and having access to his phenomenal library (as well as Bob Lund's) I caught the collector virus, too!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I have a number of old Ron Allesi & Mario Carrandi catalogs. If interested send me email at rtysl@wideopenwest.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6904 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have a "suitcase full" of Allesi catalogs!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4588 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
There is no real right answer to this question. Since the "worth" and "value" of collecting most ephemeral is entirely based on subjective interests, trends, fads, and of course demand, it all comes down to what do you want? But do keep in mind that much of what is "worth" something today (ephemeral-wise), is mostly due to the rarity of the item through attrition. And in most cases that item was seen as temporary and discard-able in its day, so many were thrown away increasing the rarity and demand. The worth of Golden Age Comics for instance...seen as objects to be recycled during war time. Some say McDonald Happy Meal toys will be worth a lot in the future because they are seen as disposable. Who knows? But the fact is these items are big question marks, and not to be confused with other more stable collectibles, like art for instance, which is often (mostly) produced in a very limited quantity as prints, or unique creations as a sculpture, paintings etc.

My rule is, only collect what you love, not what you think will be worth something. That way, your collection will always be priceless to you. This rule has yet to let me down, even when I've "overpaid."
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6904 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well said, Wiz!

I was just teasing in my post above. We were talking about "collecting" over coffee, one evening in Frances Marshall's kitchen. Fran chuckled and said, "If someone wrote 'magic' on a paper napkin, Jay would 'collect' it!"

For "serious" collectors, old catalogs may well be useful to provide the "who, what, when, where, why", etc. about a prop, but intrinsic value is certainly very subjective.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4588 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Dick, that is a great quote and so true. And I bet someone somewhere has that napkin, and is very happy with it!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
668 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Well, You can probably weed-out the "stock catalogs" - those catalogs which have the identical CONTENTS, but different covers. (i.e E-Z Magic).

Personally, I love the old catalogs, and see them as a valuable resource.
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of cbmar
Thank you. That's good advice. Yes, the stock catalogs were the first to go.
In the end, I decided to keep a catalog or two from each specific magic manufacturer (MAK, P&L, Supreme, etc.) but dumped most of the catalogs from big magic stores.
That managed to turn my giant, unwieldy pile into something a little more easily storable.

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, Moxahalla wrote:
Well, You can probably weed-out the "stock catalogs" - those catalogs which have the identical CONTENTS, but different covers. (i.e E-Z Magic).

Personally, I love the old catalogs, and see them as a valuable resource.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9476 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have so many catalogs that it’s impossible to find anything for reference unless I look through them every other day
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6904 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, as we "usta" say about left over one sheet "daters", ya can always burn 'em to keep warm next winter!
AndyC
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of AndyC
In clearing out my Tannen's Catalogs of Magic I was drawn to the covers that posted people vs. just images; i.e.: Lou Tannen #6 vs #9. This is helping me decide which to keep and which to sell/give away.
deaton
View Profile
New user
Winter Park Florida
55 Posts

Profile of deaton
Gentlemen and Ladies, I am wanting to buy Nelson Enterprises Catalog #'s 5, 16, 17, 20, 22 and the Buyer's Guide only for #23. If you are ready to sell any of those catalogs from your collections, please let me know. Thanks! Dave Smile
Original Old Town Magic Shop owner near Walt Disney World. Former Bozo the Clown in S.W. Ohio TV market. Was the founder and artistic director of Pinocchio's Maroionette Theater in Central Florida. Actor, writer, director, magic and spook show enthusiast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Which catalogs to keep? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL