The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » The Social Magician (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6644 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, spyers.vdm wrote:
Hi Guys. Can someone please help. What is the trick called where the magician uses an arrow and the kids direct him.
He then turns the card that the arrow is printed on.
He goes in completely the wrong direction. Saw this and cant remember the name...

Thanx
Morne

It sounds like the guy that you saw do it, didn't have much of a presentation for the prop! It's more or less a "nothing" trick, without PRESENTATION!!!

"That" trick has many names! E.g. Chinese Compass and "Hi Sign" are just two of many.

I'm more familiar with "Hi Sign", since I've used one since 1951. IIRC, the late Clayton Rawson wrote some clever patter for it. I think the late Milbourne Christopher sold it through Lou Tannen's NYC shop. I first saw Norman Jensen perform it on a USO show, when I was in the Navy.

"Hi Sign" has had a number of different versions sold in the past 66 years!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Wilktone
View Profile
Regular user
Asheville, NC
170 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Doc Willie wrote:
Merchant of Magic has made a fee eBook available on this topic: https://na282.infusionsoft.com/app/linkC......b495a48b

There are also a number of blog entries on that site that are pertinent to this topic.

Thanks for posting that, Doc. I missed your post when the topic got pushed to another page.

The eBook is called "Pitfalls of Showing Magic to Your Friends." There's definitely some good advice in there, however I have a quibble with the following quote from it:

Quote:
Performing for your family and friends can be very rewarding. Magic is a great hobby and can become a life long obsession. Showing a trick, leads people to want more, and spurs you on to keep learning. However, to develop further, you will need to take the next step and perform for the public. The dynamics are quite different.

I agree 100% that the dynamics are quite different, but I don't feel that the point that "developing further," as the author puts it, is necessarily the goal of the social magician. I enjoy juggling, for example, but I don't want to perform it for the public, but I do practice (occasionally) because I want to get better (or at least maintain my current lack of juggling chops). Some folks enjoy playing a pickup game of basketball with friends, but don't want to compete. Likewise, many social magicians want to get better at magic and are serious about learning it, but have no desire to perform for the general public. I think that this is a characteristic that many professional magicians either forget or simply don't understand when offering advice to amateur magicians.

At least that's how I feel. I'm sure many amateurs feel differently.

Dave
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
Interesting topic - thanks for starting!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » The Social Magician (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL