The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic Book Table of Contents Site Update (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
I know many of you use the Magic Book Table of Contents pages at: http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm
I'm glad you find it helpful. The page hasn't been updated since February of last year(!) and I thought it was time to get back to it, so I've just added an additional 160 or so listings to the page.
For those who aren't familiar, the page lists the table of contents for over 3000 magic books. You can use it to see what's in a book before you buy it, or to find out in what book a particular effect might be.
This is just a hobby for me, so I apologize that the updates aren't more frequent.
You can use google search to search JUST my website by entering a search such as: "site://magicref.tripod.com "dai vernon"" (without the beginning and end quotes) to search for all references to Dai Vernon, for example. The "site://website.com" lets you search the contents of a single website, and is great google-hack to know. It's very helpful for searching TheMagicCafe as well!
Other places to find book table of contents are: magicbooks.be (they have lots more than my site, but is a little more difficult to navigate), Denis Behr's excellent Conjuring Archive www.conjuringarchive.com; and Chris's Lybrary.com.
Enjoy! - Doug Atkinson
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Thanks for the update. For those of us who are always searching out books, and trying to find what items are in which books, this is a really useful tool.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
What a great reference, thanks!

Robert
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Your site is much appreciated.

Thanks for all your generous work!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've used this site for years when I've been thinking of buying a book. Very useful - many thanks.
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
This is a fantastic resource! Thanks for sharing so much with us!
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Wow I was not aware of this. Thank you very much indeed!

Carter
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
An excellent resource for the magic community.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
I was just wishing for this last week.......Thank you!!
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
Understanding it is a side project, I just want to encourage you to keep it up. It is super useful and I use it all of the time.
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
This is great! Thank you!
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Excellent! It's great to know this great project is still alive and growing.
Along with Denis Behr's archive, I use this all the time, so this thread offers a handy reminder that I should thank Doug for putting the time and effort into to creating something so useful.

So, thanks Doug!

(and thanks to Denis Behr too!)
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Wow! This is great. I often look for bargains on the auction site and this will really help me to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a particular book. Thank you!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Nice! I have used this site for years, as well as a few others. Not many out there I think like 3 that I know of. But I use mostly this one and http://www.magicbooks.be/ which has a ton of books. I wonder when one of these sites will have a James File TOC? Smile I have the books but I don't have that kind of free time. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
One Inch Man
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of One Inch Man
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, sirbrad wrote:
... I wonder when one of these sites will have a James File TOC? Smile I have the books but I don't have that kind of free time. Smile

I suspect it would be quicker to just write your own book from scratch! Smile
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Thanks, everyone! It is helpful to know that the site is well-used, it is an encouragement to keep it going.

As for the James File - are the contents printed in the book? If so, scanning the pages and using OCR software can really speed things up. I went through all four of Lorayne's Apocalypse books by hand for those contents listings - it took quite a long time!
Spider
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Spider
Just saw that you did a February 2020 update, and such is much appreciated!
Any upcoming 2021 updates will be relished, and you have my thanks in advance, as I have used and enjoyed your site for years.

Your labor of love is much appreciated! Do any of the MAGICTALK archives still survive on any of your servers?

With regards and respect,
Spider
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic Book Table of Contents Site Update (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL