The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Decisions YES/NO by Mozique and Alakazam Magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1518 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Title: Decisions
Creator: Mozique
Publisher: Alakazam
MSRP: $ 40
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time: 13 minutes

Type of effect: “Yes” or “No” prediction cards

Manufacturer's Write Up:

From the creative mind of Mozique comes Decisions. An incredibly organic looking test of precognition. A simple yet unbelievable demonstration of predicting your spectators actions! Using two cards one with the word NO and the other with the word YES hand written on the face, you set your spectator some simple challenges. No matter which way your spectator decides to go you are always able to correctly predict the outcome.

Includes routines by Mozique, Peter Nardi, Looch, Ran Pink and Richard Bush.

Decisions is a self working mental miracle taking you back to what Mentalism should be, simple, direct & pure! Each precision gimmick is beautifully hand made by the undisputed king of gaffed cards Rob Bromley. No Sleight of hand required as the special gimmick does all the hard work for you, leaving you to concentrate on the presentation!

Decisions is a utility item designed for the discerning mentalist and is limited only by your imagination! Decisions comes complete with gimmicks, training DVD and a PDF containing some serious killer routines.

• Custom hand made gimmick
• No sleight of hand
• No funny moves (only one card on the table)
• Totally examinable at the beginning and end of the effect
• No nail writing or dry wipe
• Instant reset
• No sticky cards, no magnets or R & S, no elastic or flaps
• Gimmick invisible even at close range
• Instantly reset for a repeat performance!

How accurate is the ad copy? The words “no sleight of hand” is always subjective. Obviously you have to do “something” in front of the spectator. Yes, there is a secret move you need to do and yes, you need to disguise it – and yes, it takes a little practice.

What's in the box? DVD and three cards in an envelope

Key points: this effect was previously released 7 years ago in a very limited run and has not been available to the public for the last five.

How are the production values: There are live performances, but they are poorly shot and with no microphone so the audio is a little lacking. Mozique goes over all that you need to know, but it is very brief.

Is it well made: The prop is extremely well made. I am very impressed with it and am certainly going to make this an “always carry.”

Is it well taught: The stronger teaching is in the 44 page pdf.

My thoughts While I do wish the video had been longer and had included some of these routines, an experienced magician could come with their own strong routines or add this prop to an existing trick very easily.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" This is a very “flat” packet trick – easily carried in a card wallet.

Does it "play big?" if this trick is good enough for Derren Brown, it’s good enough for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2_qU6pZfQ

Difficulty / Skill level required: this is a very easy to maneuver prop.

How much arts and crafts are involved? none

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) This can be done as street magic or parlor with a table. It’s best to have a shirt pocket or upper jacket pocket for performance.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

X Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

Alakazam always puts out strong material, I am generally never disappointed with any of my purchases from them.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn39yBydoCo
I give away FREE playing cards & Magic each month!
Youtube @MagicOrthodoxy
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
This looks interesting. If the gimmick is made as well as say the Vanishing Statue of Liberty gimmick I can see this having very nice reactions.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3175 Posts

Profile of Looch
Decisions is one of those effects that still going strong after 10 years. It was and still is a fantastic product!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Wow 10 years? I had no idea it was that old. Sometimes no matter how hard we try things get passed us.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3175 Posts

Profile of Looch
Yes, its quite surprising really...I was asked to write a routine for it at the end of 2006. They also do a blank version where you can customise your own words for example: Truth / Lie Agree / Disagree etc
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

I can see why this is still strong. Just received mine in the mail today and I'm very impressed. My wife likes it a lot and she is trying to figure it out. She has examined the yes/no cards twice now and just said "This is a good one.". I'm very happy with this and highly recommend it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of pancho247
I love the effect but don't use mine as the gimmick can be sticky.
Johnsypoppins
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Johnsypoppins
Ah I used to use this a lot back when it first released... eventually my gimmicks bit the dust and over time I totally forgot about it.

Way worth picking up.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Mine works very nicely and if it ever did have problems Id try to fix it or make one or Id buy a new one. For me this is a must have. I really am having fun with this--- a lot of fun.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Mine works very nicely and if it ever did have problems Id try to fix it or make one or Id buy a new one. For me this is a must have. I really am having fun with this--- a lot of fun.

Good magic to all,

Eric
samzilla
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of samzilla
Any suggestions on how to prevent the ink from smudging from regular handling of the cards? (it's already smudged a little and it's only been a day)
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
767 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
This is a great prop ... made miraculous by Derren Brown's performance.
when you have the know-how and see him perform this ... it will bring a smile to your face.

I bought mine from Alakazam.
The cards are spot-on. No problems at all with the routine working.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1479 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
The only problem I have noticed is over time the ink starts to smear. I know it is sharpie but it still starts to smear (bleed) and is noticeable. I can't use it anymore due to this. Just stands out and is very visible.
Was fine at first then with use it changed.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Has Alakazam found a way to deal with the ink smudging? Yet?
"Let it be simple and pure, because miracles are simple and pure." - Mind2Mind.ca
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
10513 Posts

Profile of John C
It may have been around for ten years but it doesn't necessarily mean it's going strong. I would suspect most don't use and purchased it out of hype and curiosity.

It is very usable though.

I think a lot of folks purchased this based on their viewing the infamous DB video and once they discover they can't duplicate his routine they give up. Which is good I suppose.

PS: I've had two set.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
767 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Well said, John C ...
As we know, magic is an "art".
Darren gives an Oscar performance of this effect.

Teaching us all, perhaps ...
"just put a spin on the ball"
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
751 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I bought two of these.

One is actually better than the other in the respect that the gimmick moves from Yes to No without your thumb ever touching the writing.
This prevents any smearing.

It slides with gravity.

I am trying to work the other unit so it does exactly just that.

In the trailer it works beautifully when displaying it to the camera.
This is the ideal way to utilize this gimmick IMO.

I think its a matter of a little space in between the cardboards.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3191 Posts

Profile of videoman
I am wondering if anyone knows for sure if Derren Brown is in fact using the Decisions by Mozique gimmick?

I cannot be positive but from watching the video which is linked to in the first post of this thread, which I believe is the same video everyone is referring to (the one with Stephen Merchant). I think it's an easy assumption to make upon seeing the 2 cards with Yes and No on them and the similar type of routine, that anything else is quickly discounted and that it simply must be the Decisions gaff. But I'm not convinced that the standard gimmick is in play here. There are a couple reasons why I think this but I don't have time to list them right now.

So does anyone know for sure?
And I don't mean "well, how else would he do it? Real magic?
I'm just curious if anyone really knows for certain.
ed wood
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of ed wood
No derren is not using decisions in that routine.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3191 Posts

Profile of videoman
Ed, I agree with you but can I ask how you know this?

Also, I did come across this post from Angelo Carbone which sounds legit.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=60

Posted by Angelo Carbone

Posted: Dec 7, 2011 04:19 pm   

Did Decisions come onto the market after the effect/plot was performed by DB on TV?
I worked on the DB yes/no method and it is different to Decisions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Decisions YES/NO by Mozique and Alakazam Magic (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL