The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Rotary Performance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nat
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Nat
I have been asked to perform at our local Rotary club meeting - about 50 men and women - parlor type effects - sure would appreciate your advice and favorite effects for this venue.
Thanks!

Nathan
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Nat!

I joined Rotary in 1966. Rotarians, and, their wives, are just like thee and me!

Do what you DO! It is foolish to "put in" a bunch of new tricks for a prospective audience. I'm sure that as a professor, you don't write new lectures, for each new year!

S.H. Sharpe said it, eons ago: "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic.
Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

My mentors always told me: "It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!

BTW! EFFECTS are what the audience PERCEIVES, when you've PERFORMED, a TRICK.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, Nat wrote:
I have been asked to perform at our local Rotary club meeting - about 50 men and women - parlor type effects - sure would appreciate your advice and favorite effects for this venue.
Thanks!

Nathan

My first professional show was for a Rotary Club 20 years ago this past December. Best advice? Audiences don't care about your tricks. They care about what you do for them. Think about it.

Robert
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well said, Robert!

The late, great Nate Leipzig, who was a "standard act" in vaudeville, also worked high society parties
in New York. Nate's philosophy was: "If they like YOU, they will like what you do."

You don't need "big box" stuff. I've worked parties like this, with no prop larger than an egg bag!

When I was in the Navy in the early '50s, my agent kept me busy enough that I could send my Navy pay
check home to the bank. I had the whole act in a leather toiletries kit, about cigar box size.

Silk color change thru hand, golf ball routine, fancy card shuffles, Insurance Policy card trick, rope
knots, cut & restored rope, egg bag, "Slydini knots, Kellar wrist tie, silk to egg. I could work almost
anywhere! --and, did. (It sure wasn't the tricks! We had lots of fun!) The only (last minute) set up,
was: stuff an 18" silk in the gimmick.

A few other Leipzig "rules": 1. Make sure that you entertain the ladies! If they are having fun, you can be sure
that the men will enjoy it! 2. Quit when you're ahead! (Leipzig watched the ladies. At the first sign that they
had seen "enough", he finished the trick that he was doing, and said, "Good night!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Nat
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Nat
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Well said, Robert!

The late, great Nate Leipzig, who was a "standard act" in vaudeville, also worked high society parties
in New York. Nate's philosophy was: "If they like YOU, they will like what you do."

You don't need "big box" stuff. I've worked parties like this, with no prop larger than an egg bag!

When I was in the Navy in the early '50s, my agent kept me busy enough that I could send my Navy pay
check home to the bank. I had the whole act in a leather toiletries kit, about cigar box size.

Silk color change thru hand, golf ball routine, fancy card shuffles, Insurance Policy card trick, rope
knots, cut & restored rope, egg bag, "Slydini knots, Kellar wrist tie, silk to egg. I could work almost
anywhere! --and, did. (It sure wasn't the tricks! We had lots of fun!) The only (last minute) set up,
was: stuff an 18" silk in the gimmick.

A few other Leipzig "rules": 1. Make sure that you entertain the ladies! If they are having fun, you can be sure
that the men will enjoy it! 2. Quit when you're ahead! (Leipzig watched the ladies. At the first sign that they
had seen "enough", he finished the trick that he was doing, and said, "Good night!)

Terrific advice!
Thanks for your suggestions!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Rotary Performance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL