The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card Memory (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
casco1
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of casco1
The zen Master by Darwin Ortiz.
An amazing routine!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
4893 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
537 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, Christoph wrote:
Thanks for your reply...
Right now, I am actually scanning the market for routines and techniques to find the best to fit my character.

Therefore I would like to get as much Information on this topic as possible...

I honestly wonder if threads like this actually hinder more than help.

What we appear to have is someone asking for memorised deck routines, but without explaining his requirements, needs, audience, presentation, knowledge, character etc. Therefore the list becomes nothing more than can be found on any search engine in seconds. Just a list of effects but without any reference to fitting the performance. It can't do, as we don't know what the performance is. Obviously the thread allows us all to show how much we know, but is that really the issue here?

Why not start off by describing exactly what your performance character, and location, and style, and duration, and raison d'etre is. Then certain routines could be recommended, with the reasons why they fit.

Otherwise it comes across as you copping out and letting others do the hard work for you; what surprises me is that so many fall for it.
Argon
View Profile
New user
Germany
64 Posts

Profile of Argon
Hi guys,

I kind of agree with Rolyan. It seem we are trying to answer a question, without really understanding it.

As a mem deck is a tool like any other, there are also difference in their use.
Added the question how much time will you invest. Can you use it for other tricks?

Having said that I second Mnemonica and throw Simon Aronson in the ring. ;-)

Cheers
Stefan
January
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of January
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Rolyan wrote:

What we appear to have is someone asking for memorised deck routines, but without explaining his requirements, needs, audience, presentation, knowledge, character etc. Therefore the list becomes nothing more than can be found on any search engine in seconds. Just a list of effects but without any reference to fitting the performance. It can't do, as we don't know what the performance is. Obviously the thread allows us all to show how much we know, but is that really the issue here?

Why not start off by describing exactly what your performance character, and location, and style, and duration, and raison d'etre is. Then certain routines could be recommended, with the reasons why they fit.

Otherwise it comes across as you copping out and letting others do the hard work for you; what surprises me is that so many fall for it.

Most of the time, I'd agree with you, but it seems to me that we already know the basic needs of the performer. A card memory routine is pretty specific, and if the character is performing card memory as such, then implicitly we know that a powerful memory is one of the character's claimed ability's.

I don't think card memory routines differ that much depending on venue, and the duration should be fairly quick for any of them. I guess you could use jumbo cards in a large stage performance, but I've performed memorized decks for very small groups as well as larger groups and didn't see a need to change anything.

It seems like to me digging into a specific performer's character too deeply would actually be us doing all the hard work for the performer. I don't mind casually throwing out a few routine names on the forum, but ask me to recommend a specific card memory routine based on some performer's specific theme, character, etc., and then give reasons for why that routine is better than others--then I'd feel I'm doing the heavy lifting for them indeed!
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Strasbourg)
665 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Rolyan wrote:

I would disagree even in the general case (routines that are vastly different in close-up and on stage) : such "compilation" threads are great to discover new routines and sometimes hidden gems Smile
Conner
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Conner
This is a fairly complex question because a card memory routine can vary greatly in terms of authenticity and scale. In terms of authenticity the routine could be more or less real (from display of total genuine memory skill to completely simulated through trickery). In terms of scale the routine could be more or less intimate (for a small group at a table to a large audience of hundreds).

A card memory routine can be:
- Authentic and intimate
- Authentic and large
- Simulated and intimate
- Simulated and large

Each routine is going to have its own set of challenges or advantages. The Cassidy routine is so effective because it doesn't necessarily confine itself to a particular group. It's uses authentic memory skill with just enough trickery to be safe, and it also can be scaled up or down very easily.

I think when considering your character, these dimensions of authenticity and scale will be useful to consider. Also, being able to articulate your needs in this way will allow others to give you more tailored feedback.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Card Memory (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL