The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Right size for a chop cup? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I was looking over John Bannon's chop cup routine from Impossibilia ("Chop^2"). He recommends using tennis balls for the final loads (though I was thinking of using lemons), and I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for which chop cup to use. It obviously has to be big enough to fit the loads, but I think it should also be small enough that the cup very obviously cannot fit two of the loads. (Let me know if that doesn't make sense.)

Any advice on what brand chop cup to use that fits a lemon or tennis ball, but clearly can't fit two of them at the same time?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'm biased but I like my leather chop cup the best. it can be used on any surface without a close up pad and it doesn't look like a magic prop. They can also double as a dice stacking cup for those interested in such a thing. There are also numerous advantages and features no other chop cup has on earth such as ...(offset mg and natural indicator as to exactly where IT is).

As far as size goes, my cups fit a lemon (or lime) and that's what I use when I can. But size does not matter as much as the change to a new size. (Dennis Loomis' chop cup for instance with very tiny loads is great).

Back to the routine...
I love Bannon's routine and I consider it the best of all chop cup routines for it's construction. Few talk about that routine but it is fabulous. You've found a gem.

www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have half a dozen chop cups, (don't ask my what, because I don't know), and my favorite one is Frank's leather cup. I also use it to cover my shell and pea. The die cup fits right in with the gambling theme. It also has a perfect touch to it for the release.
I don't know if anyone else makes it today, but I have an old chopped plastic coffee cup with an off center gaff. The ear of the cup as an indicator. I've had the cup for about 30 or 40 years.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Great, thanks to both of you.

If I'm looking for an inexpensive one (I don't like fancy-looking props anyway), do you have any opinion on Premium Magic's copper chop cup?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18850

Jakeg, you're making me want to construct my own out of a plastic coffee cup!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

My opinion is that the one you linked to is cheap, the mg is probably too strong but it will get the job done.
i don't like the shape. cheaper ones always seem taller than wider which is a poor design, imo. I'm guessing that cup would not be able to take a lemon.

A better brand is Ickle Pickle. They have a normal cup that has a far better shape. They also have a wide mouth that would easily take a tennis ball.

If you want to go cheap cheap, consider using a short pringles can. I used to use one of those with mike rogers balls and they were a perfect match. you also don't need to alter the cup in any way. Just get/make balls (or make them) to match. The pringles theme could also give you a nice theme for your bannon trick. You can even load a potato at the end.

Thanks Jake for your thoughts on my cup. Much appreciated.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Thanks for the reply. Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13457

People are complaining that the mg is too strong. Someone hinted at a way to adjust it, but I can't imagine what he's talking about.

I could also borrow a dollar bill and crumple it up. I can switch in a gimmicked crumpled bill, and I can play with the proper gimmick strength.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

No. This one!
http://theambitiouscard.com/details.cfm?product_key=47771

Actually yes, it's the same one! Smile
yes you can do the dollar bill idea. If so, you might consider checking out John Carney's "Fruit Cup" routine in Carneycopia.
If you're not familair with that book, you should be.

Frank
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Yup, I'm familiar with that book, and I'm reading over that routine right now. Thanks for the pointer.

Any opinion on whether the mg is too strong on that chop cup I linked to?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I don't recall that it was too strong.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Cool, thanks for your help!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ickle Pickle's Chop Cup is very good, our local magic shop has sold hundreds of them over the years.

It is a wide mouth version, said to be a suggestion by the late Great Don Alan.

The only thing being the lip is not rolled, you have to be careful not to squeeze the cup to hard while handling it. Treat it with respect and you will have a cup that will last you many years.

If you want a smaller chop cup, this India version is not bad for the money, $11.99. It is the size of a cups and balls set of cups.

http://magicgoods.com/products/chop-cup-aluminum
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Actually Don Alan wanted a stubby chop cup, RNT2 took the cup down by 1/4". Tim Star developed the Ickle Pickle when they all worked at Rings N Things. The same way the Foxy Combo cups were
Steve Bender's brain child. RNT 2 did not make the first Real Foxy cup, Rings N Things did. They were marketed through Magic Inc. when Jay was still with us. The aluminum version was Sold as
Rings. N. Things Foxy Cup , while the copper version was Sold as Milt Cork Combo Set.

Not trying to bust on you Bill, just trying to keep history on the two companies straight.

Best,
Jake Sr.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
If you can find Thomas Wayne's coffee chop that's an interesting chop cup. It appears to be a normal coffee cup and the mg is very well balanced and allows you to the dirty deed while setting the cup down softly with a natural motion. I don't think it's being sold anymore, it was kind of a limited run, but you might find it second hand from someone.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw Thomas Wayne perform with his coffee cup at Magic Live! His "natural motion" was actually a "tell." I don't believe it would hold a tennis ball.

I produce three billiard balls -- REAL ONES -- from my chop cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I got my hands on an Ickle Pickle extra wide mouth chop cup. Yep, the mg is a bit too strong. I can really firmly place the cup on my mat and get it to work, but not 100% of the time. Don't they test these things before mass producing them?

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is there a certain technique to putting the cup down?
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2017, R2D2 wrote:
I got my hands on an Ickle Pickle extra wide mouth chop cup. Yep, the mg is a bit too strong. I can really firmly place the cup on my mat and get it to work, but not 100% of the time. Don't they test these things before mass producing them?

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Is there a certain technique to putting the cup down?

I have over 50 chop cups and just try them with different balls to get the right marriage of strength between the cup and the balls. If you have any RNT2 chopped balls, you can adjust the strength of the gaffed ball. If the cup strength is too strong for every ball you try, you can get some steel wool and wrap it with a dollar bill or candy wrapper and that often works.
Magic is where you find it.....
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I have 2 Don Alan chop cups from Rings N Things.
They work like a dream.
The balls have the right hold and release.
They are my worker cups even though I've bought many others over the years.

I also have another Don Alan which has a different, sharper edged, top than the other two.
I'm assuming it's an RNT2 or somewhere else down the line.
It came with smaller balls but they still work good.

I also had bought a stainless steel with bronze liner from RNT2 - that mag was too strong and I wound up selling it.
It really killed me because it was a nice looking cup.

My main Don Alan worker I bought around 1977 or 1978.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, Dale Houck wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2017, R2D2 wrote:

I have over 50 chop cups and just try them with different balls to get the right marriage of strength between the cup and the balls. If you have any RNT2 chopped balls, you can adjust the strength of the gaffed ball. If the cup strength is too strong for every ball you try, you can get some steel wool and wrap it with a dollar bill or candy wrapper and that often works.

Thanks. I might try the steel wool idea. I just don't understand how anything can be manufactured and sold with the wrong strength for the gimmick. Don't they test these things out first?
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, R2D2 wrote:

Thanks. I might try the steel wool idea. I just don't understand how anything can be manufactured and sold with the wrong strength for the gimmick. Don't they test these things out first?

Ickle Pickle is owned by FUN,INC now, which also has the Royal brand. I would wager they would not test the cups individually. On the other hand, a company like RNT2 would test them. You would also have a much higher quality cup from RNT2. You can also experiment with different strength magnets rolled up in a dollar bill until you find a good match. But if the magnet in the cup is too strong, your only option is to find a ball with a weaker magnet or make your own. You can't change the strength of the magnet in the cup. If you live in the Miami area, you can come by with your cup and test it with dozens of ball sets I have until we find a match.
Magic is where you find it.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Right size for a chop cup? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL