The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thimble Magic Advice Needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Specifically on Joe Mogar Routines, Sleights, palms clips... I bought Digital Effects the magic of Joe Mogar by Steve Beam. I picked up 2 tubes + a few random colors and the DVD Thimble Dexterity (that helps picture the stuff in the book). I am pretty decent with coin sleights and palms but the Thimble "basics" are already challenging me. I am currently just starting out. I am doing 1-2 hrs finger stretches / exercises a day and another hour trying basic palms and finger drills. I am not having a lot of success but I am in this for the long run. Any tips from any practicing Thimble workers out there? I love how these routines look and really want to get some down to help carry on the legacy of some of the most beautiful magic that you do not see a lot of these days.

Feel free to leave tips and such here or PM me if you don't want to put something "out there".

Thanks, looking forward to hearing what the "thimble community" has to say. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
1st I would suggest you only use the exercises as warm ups before a practice session. A few minutes is all you need to limber your fingers. Work on the moves, carry a few thimbles with you, and "play" with them while waiting, watching television, etc. Learn with both hands the moves. This will engrain the actions into your hands an make it seem more natural to you. Don't go for speed, but instead work on smoothness of finger movement. Speed will come as a result.

It may be those thimbles, Joe Morgar sells tradition style sewing thimbles, as they will work over time, they are a lot harder to work with being they are short. Getting your timing down is important to the moves.

This is the Thimbles I suggest for manipulation magic.

http://www.gycklaren.com/en/search?q=thimble

Much easier to manipulate, do to the length and ridges.

Looking forward to see what routine you develop.

Good luck, have patients, this does not happen over night, but one morning you will wake up and be able to execute the moves perfectly.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I made a misprint. I meant 1-2 mins of finger stuff before practicing but I do the 1-2 mins several times a day. Those other thimbles, I have a couple sets of that came with routines I bought in the past but many of Joe's routines can only be done (practically) with his thimble design. Some moves do not work with those type thimbles. I will try the "while watching tv" advice.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Poof-Daddy, welcome to the thimble community!! I'm not so much a "pro" as others in the Café; but I am a children's magician. And thimbles are REALLY magic for kids (of any age). You've certainly got the basics with Joe Mogar. I cut my teeth on Jeff McBride's LandL series (coins, balls and thimbles); and I still watch them often for the simplicity of moves and how Jeff M is a master of misdirection. Thimbles I think require a little more misdirection than coins (sometimes you're looking 'way over there' with thimbles). But I'm betting you won't have many problems. Bill Hegbli's advice is absolute gold. Thimbles are easy to keep in the pocket and fiddle with in idle times. I have a couple of sets of nesting thimbles as well, but don't know who makes them. I'm always fiddling with these. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thimble Magic Advice Needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL