The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SPECTRUMALIST by WAYNE DOBSON & WORLD MAGIC SHOP (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Very simple to reconstruct wouldn't touch it with a barge pole desperation stakes for a release inmho . As old as the hills just good that Wayne has finally settled the rift with David Penn . At least that's one good thing to come out of this Tarik 😊
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
If I'm not mistaken Larry Becker used bags like these in his Pirate piece he put together. Those bags are the best I've seen for this type of effect. All the same color inside and out. Amazing what you can get away with with these bags.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It's a pretty pony release in all fairness Tarik 😊
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Well if the spec doesn't freely select the result... as I suspected [as I couldn't see how that could work]

Then it's a lot of money, for a routine based on somebody else's effect, and a few bags

Especially as the 'balls' version of this may be hilarious [hmm] but it is far inferior than a version that has the specs put their personal items into the bags... then the mentalist deduces whose item belongs to who
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
DiceDaddy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of DiceDaddy
Thank you so much for that link. Ok, so we now have a full performance of the routine. The advertisement trailer for the product uses footage directly from this performance.

If this is what is being offered, it seems like it will be a wonderful routine, truly baffling.

Now an interesting question. Lets suppose that the 'helper' is a stooge. Is that fair to put that footage into the trailer. I don't want to open the can of worms of 'Does the trailer truly reflect the trick', but, Wizard Product Review always gets on producers who make misleading trailers.

When this routine gets released, I am sure someone here will post a review of the item. I look forward to seeing this, because if what is presented in the trailer is what you get, I am ready to make a purchase.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2017, DiceDaddy wrote:

Now an interesting question. Lets suppose that the 'helper' is a stooge. Is that fair to put that footage into the trailer. I don't want to open the can of worms of 'Does the trailer truly reflect the trick', but, Wizard Product Review always gets on producers who make misleading trailers.

As I said - the spec being able to do this made it look amazing - but alas, I think it's unworkable - if you need an instant larry, moe, or curly

So, the normal routine will be both more workable and a lot more impressive

Do note you can buy this effect from other places - some places where the person who came up with the idea gets both credit and reward for your purchase

I think here you are rewarding/paying for the snooker ball routine

Watching it on the video, with a 'warmed up' audience - it doesn't seem like this is the best routine for this effect

Unless of course I am wrong and the spec can freely choose, who gets which ball... but then that would be real magic wouldn't it?
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
It is pretty obvious what is going on here. I think this is fine if your goal is to make someone look good such as a CEO, person who hired you etc. But just remember, you will be exposing the secret to at least one person every time you do this. If your premise is being believable this might not be for you. But I cam also see this playing very strong for the rest of the audience. But it would be wise of you to choose an "assistant" who will not want to talk afterwards.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2017, sbays wrote:
I think this is fine if your goal is to make someone look good such as a CEO, person who hired you etc

But, there are so many better ways to make them look good

I think [as I have said before] the orignal routine [i.e. NOT the dobson one] is far better

Snooker balls is a big step back, and the spec being able to choose [unless I am wrong and this is real magic, and they can freely select] is an awful way to present this effect

If you note how Higgins reacts with the £20 notes, and the swap of the ball for the note at the end - [I only watched this clip once] - it looked rehearsed

But also it didn't seem very funny or good

Yes, for a TV studio [with a warm up guy, and cue cards] it may get 6 rounds of applause ... but I would rather do a great effect that people think about for a long time after, then get the clap - err that came out wrong
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
[quote]On Feb 15, 2017, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2017, sbays wrote:
I think this is fine if your goal is to make someone look good such as a CEO, person who hired you etc

"But, there are so many better ways to make them look good"

But I wasn't talking about better ways. I am speaking about this routine specifically.

But yes I certainly would not do this this way to accomplish it.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I was disappointed with this.
It's the same as other versions of Fogel's Second Sight as described above.
All that's been added is a method for signaling a confederate (NOTE! A confederate - Not an instant stooge) but you could use any signalling method.
At £80 without snooker balls (Colin Rose's version with balls is £75) I'd say it's about £30 over priced.

That said...... I've created a way to do the effect as shown without a confederate and Ill be trying it out for a paying, public audience this weekend.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2017, Suffolk wrote:
It's the same as other versions of Fogel's Second Sight as described above.
All that's been added is a method for signaling a confederate (NOTE! A confederate - Not an instant stooge) but you could use any signalling method.
At £80 without snooker balls (Colin Rose's version with balls is £75) I'd say it's about £30 over priced.

That said...... I've created a way to do the effect as shown without a confederate and Ill be trying it out for a paying, public audience this weekend.

And any Crediting to Fogel on the DVD/Download ?
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Yes. It's mentioned in passing.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Quote:

Where does Colin Rose's version say that it comes with balls? Did I miss something in the ad?
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2017, Bartelli wrote:
Quote:

Where does Colin Rose's version say that it comes with balls? Did I miss something in the ad?

My mistake. It doesn't. They are both over priced then. £75-80 is too much for marked bags.
The concept of marking things so that you can identify them through pseudo psycomatry is available in dozens of other places at a fraction of the cost.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Okay, no problem. If one of them came with the balls, I would have considered it.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Isn't the Detection Bags by Leo Smetsers and Alakazam Magic basically the same thing as Spectrumalist?

They credit Fogel in the ad copy so based on that I'm assuming it's the same idea. If it is the same type of thing then at £30 instead of £80 one may prefer it. I think the Smetsers bags are smaller and a different material.

Anyway, here's the link for those interested: http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Detect......ers.html
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2017, Roslyn wrote:
Isn't the Detection Bags by Leo Smetsers and Alakazam Magic basically the same thing as Spectrumalist?

They credit Fogel in the ad copy so based on that I'm assuming it's the same idea. If it is the same type of thing then at £30 instead of £80 one may prefer it. I think the Smetsers bags are smaller and a different material.

Anyway, here's the link for those interested: http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Detect......ers.html

Yeah. Pretty much. The World Magic version also comes with a large ungimmicked sixth bag and a code to use with a confederate.

£30 feels about the right pricing for this.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2017, Roslyn wrote:

So basically if it was not bought out by WMS it would be called a knock off
And an expensive one at that

Must agree £30 is right price for this effect
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE SPECTRUMALIST by WAYNE DOBSON & WORLD MAGIC SHOP (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL