The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who's you second choice coin gaff maker ? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
OK it's a given that Todd Lassen is the man when it comes to coin gaffs but due to his work being in very high demand from customers world wide who is the second choice you go to if you can't use Todd preferably someone who makes a very good Sun and Moon set suitable for the Samoya routine ?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I've never understood the us vs them mentality that exists in the magic community.

I've got some Lassen stuff. Perfection. However, I also have some Schoolcraft items which are as good as it gets. Moreover, Johnson manufactures stuff that has tolerances good enough for the space industry or whatever. Top notch. I'm about to order something from Keuppers (coincidentally it's a penny/dime sun and moon for the Coin on Call). Go with any of the reputable places for a sun and moon and you will be happy.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Johnson gaffs are both well made and priced right if you can't afford and/or obtain a Lassen or Schoolcraft.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the input both Smile

Johnsons are great however from what I've read their Sun and Moon coin wouldn't be suitable for the Samoya routine, I might have some luck perhaps with Schoolcraft however I did try emailing Kuepper who has mixed reviews but didn't get a reply.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
My only advice with any of the "one-man" places (e.g. Lassen and Schoolcraft) where coin gaffs are being expertly created by true masters of their trade is to be patient with their response time. Going thru thousands of emails is only part of what tugs away from their coin work time. I've always been beyond pleased with their work even if the time for responding to emails and receiving items took a while.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
For me is Tango, he has all the gimmicked coins and more, most of them in stock. Never an issue in ordering or receiving the coins
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Fun fact if you call Johnson and talk to them, they will make custom stuff for you. They are making all of my clad stuff as 64 Kennedy halves.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Neither actually makes "all" the coins - I've tried asking Tango about split coins (which they won't do) and I haven't seen them offer unexpanded shells, either, though they might do them custom.

As far as Johnson goes, I actually tried reaching out to them once for a (relatively simple) custom gaff, and they refused. So apparently success varies.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
My experience with tango is crap. Johnson is good for beginners. Lassen is the best and I have numerous items from him, most recently the Ramsey cylinder and coins set. I have product from schoolcraft and Roy Keuppers. They make good stuff as well.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I think Johnson is an excellent second choice.

I had them make some custom Barber half expanded shell sets for me. Nearly zero distortion on the face, with good coverage. I'd say the quality is very close to Lassen, and definitely better than what I've seen from Schoolcraft, Kueppers and others. (Compared to Johnson, Lassen's shells look a little bit better when viewed from the dirty side, because he makes his shell edge a certain way that helps hide it, although the difference is not that much).
Kathy is the Johnson rep, she is very nice and easy to work with. If anyone wants more info regarding contacting them, PM me.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
My vote is for Johnson as well.

I own almost everything they've ever made and I wouldn't let a single piece go.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2017, evikshin wrote:
I think Johnson is an excellent second choice.

I had them make some custom Barber half expanded shell sets for me. Nearly zero distortion on the face, with good coverage. I'd say the quality is very close to Lassen, and definitely better than what I've seen from Schoolcraft, Kueppers and others. (Compared to Johnson, Lassen's shells look a little bit better when viewed from the dirty side, because he makes his shell edge a certain way that helps hide it, although the difference is not that much).
Kathy is the Johnson rep, she is very nice and easy to work with. If anyone wants more info regarding contacting them, PM me.

How much did the Johnson barber set run you? I was thinking about getting a set made.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Brian
It was 60 because I supplied the coins myself
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
That is a great deal! I know what I'm doing next month... Smile
ScottMN
View Profile
New user
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
72 Posts

Profile of ScottMN
Johnson
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Johnson.
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
I too discussed with Kathy at Johnson about sending my own coins, and she confirmed they will make them (using my coins) whenever they do another run for their own inventory. She is very helpful and responsive to questions. Hard to beat their pricing. There is one downside and that is the coins must be in good condition, meaning if you want a Johnson coin made, then you will have to soften it yourself. But, having cheap (respectively) coins makes for better mental health when you drop them in practice. Bring out the fine China once consistency is met.

Schoolcraft has Jennae as his customer service rep. She is helpful and reasonably responsive to emails. They run approximately four weeks out, but are approximately $100 more than Lassen on their offerings. They hit the four week timetable near exact on my last order.

Lassen will make your dreams come true in finished product, but there is the hassle of getting together with him to get into the queue. It is worth it, though. He runs sometimes about the same four week delay, unless he gets distracted by something shiny:-) He is a good person and sees his products as reflections of himself. This is not offered as any inference that Schoolcraft is opposite this sentiment, as obviously I have bought from both. I see Lassen as charting the bold path with constant tinkering/innovating. Persistence and cordial communications via email and phone are the key. I know you are in the UK, so perhaps Skype calling at the start and end of your days will eventually catch him. He does actually answer his phone. I found sending the email which has a clear subject line, and then following up with voicemail messages referencing the email will do the trick. Just make sure not to take it personally when you cannot gain a response. He doesn't mean any harm by his responsiveness; it isn't an ego stroke for him. There just genuinely isn't enough time for him to do it all and meet the demands. The time delaying gratification will pay dividends handsomely in finished product.

I strongly encourage you to accept the delay/hassle of Lassen.
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
Schoolcraft, but much expansive
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I received my profile gravity flipper Kennedy half dollar from Roy Keuppers today. It took over a month to get it, but wow is it beautiful! This is the best quality gaff I have ever seen. I would recommend Roy to anybody looking for quality gaffed coins. You may have to wait, but the quality of the work makes up for it in spades.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Interesting I've heard mixed reviews regards Roy but as I've never dealt with him personally apart from having an email unanswered I can't really comment, that said he's probably just in high demand as most coin gaff makers are.

I'm pleased for you that he did a great job for you, out of interest does Roy use the old rubber band method for the flipper or is he using the newer thread that many are switching over to so as to eliminate breaking issues ?

As an update in the end through much persistence I did manage to get a sun and moon set off Todd Lassen which I have to say is absolutely top quality, I can now see why people rave about his work.

On top of that i' was lucky enough to make contact with him again and I'm now waiting for a W.L shell set from him, no doubt it'll be a long wait but going by the quality of the last item I got from him it will be well worth the wait Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who's you second choice coin gaff maker ? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL