The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How can I do one trick and politely excuse myself after so it isn't too much pressure? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
I think I prevent myself from approaching a lot of times because as soon as they find out I do magic I feel I have this pressure to give them a whole set of entertainment. Since I am still just starting I only know a couple of tricks and non are fluid so I end up too scared to approach and don't get to practice anything.

I suppose it doesn't matter in the short term if they are a little disappointed as long as I got to practice just one trick as it would be building my repertoire. Though I find they can look like it was quite an anticlimax. Usually I just say 'that's all I know' and they get a bit dispondent and I just walk off.

What are some good ways to eject gracefully after just one trick? If I feel less pressure then I will feel more apt to approach and thus get more practice under my belt. And also a good way to enter perhaps prefacing that I am new so go gentle. I have said 'I am just learning so I might mess it up' before as a way maybe to soften the blow if I screwed up.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, magicstudent8416 wrote:
I think I prevent myself from approaching a lot of times because as soon as they find out I do magic I feel I have this pressure to give them a whole set of entertainment. Since I am still just starting I only know a couple of tricks and non are fluid so I end up too scared to approach and don't get to practice anything.

I suppose it doesn't matter in the short term if they are a little disappointed as long as I got to practice just one trick as it would be building my repertoire. Though I find they can look like it was quite an anticlimax. Usually I just say 'that's all I know' and they get a bit dispondent and I just walk off.

What are some good ways to eject gracefully after just one trick? If I feel less pressure then I will feel more apt to approach and thus get more practice under my belt. And also a good way to enter perhaps prefacing that I am new so go gentle. I have said 'I am just learning so I might mess it up' before as a way maybe to soften the blow if I screwed up.

If you re-read your post you will find your answer but, I'll help. Smile

First, BREATHE. We were all newcomers and most of us felt EXACTLY as you do so you are not alone.

Second: You need to establish confidence in you. You should tell yourself, "I am going to give them the best I have." And if you believe in yourself - which right now you don't - you WILL give them a great show. AND NEVER (yes I know I am shouting lol) TELL THEM "THAT IS ALL I KNOW."

Third: When you are table hopping the last thing you want to do for them is a complete act. What you will find is that the folks for whom you are performing want to be entertained but they DON'T want their evening monopolized by a magician.

Fourth: Those routines that you perform now? If they really seem to fit you then you hone and sharpen them. All too often I have seen magicians fall for dealer hyperbole and buy a trick because it has gotten high praise. Well, that may be true but a trick in itself is a process leading to a climax.It cannot do it without the most important ingredient: YOU

Fifth: EVERY performance is a learning opportunity and that applies to seasoned pros as much as it does to neophytes. After an evening performance really think about what worked and WHY it worked and what DIDN'T work and WHY.

Sixth: If you persist in looking upon your performances as just another practice you will never gain the confidence of a seasoned performer. Magic is a PERFORMING art. And never underestimate audiences. They will pick up your lack of confidence in a second. I cannot emphasize enough how important confidence is. Be proud of yourself because this art is DIFFICULT. It is also beautiful because it is RARE. Most people live their whole lives never having seen professional caliber magic. What you are sharing with your audience is something fantastic and memorable - keep that in mind and you will find yourself moving upward form thinking about your magic as just another practice to becoming a performer who is excited about sharing!

Remember the old show business mantra: "Always leave them wanting more."

It took a bit of courage to ask what you did. And though you had the stones to ask it, there at least ten other people asking the same thing of themselves but fear to ask others. That means you care about your audiences and your art. The great sleight of hand master Nate Leipzig said that audiences like to be entertained (and fooled) by someone they like. Leipzig knew a hell of a lot more about magic than you, me, and most in this community will ever know.

May I suggest that you purchase a copy of Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic? There are no tricks or routines. The essays however are priceless. Read it as you would a holy book and read it again. Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber is another great choice. And one more: The Magic Menu. You are going to find GREAT essays from some of magic's finest such as Paul Green, Simon Lovell, David Acer, Eugene Burger, and MANY more. The Magic Menu is a fantastic periodical that should be in your library.

You DO care about your audiences and you art. Now you must complete the triangle and care about you! Smile

Lastly, It DOES matter if your audience is left disappointed. No, you aren't going to please everybody but you will please most people. They however do not need to know that you are new. But YOU cannot allow yourself to remain trapped in thinking "oh well, it was a chance to practice." As gamers say, you won't "get gud."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, magicstudent8416 wrote:

Yes, it does matter if they are disappointed. Never, ever show ANYONE a magic trick until you can do it without "messing it up".
Read The Life of the Party by Mike Close.
magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2017, Vlad_77 wrote:
... thinking "oh well, it was a chance to practice." As gamers say, you won't "get gud."

Thanks for the detailed reply Smile I shall look into those books.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Great post Vlad. OP I hope that you read Vlad's wise words again and again.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
casco1
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of casco1
Follow Vlad suggestion, his message his gold!
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Perverse magic is a form of presentation that puts the magician with the audience rather than, as is the case with the presentation of most magic, above the audience. It has the magician saying, “I don’t understand.” Instead of “Ta da!”

In other words – what happens just happens – it’s not you doing it. Therefore, you need “do” only as much (or as little) as you want because – you’re not doing it – it just happens.

Of course, if you’re being paid to perform then you can’t decide how little to do but I think most of us do magic for friends and for fun.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi Magicstudent,
Great replys above. The tought that comes to mind is why not learn a couple more effects.
There are a ton of self working and very easy ones to fill in. Even bar bets are fun that require no skill.
That way as Vlad mentions you can be comfortable just being you. Yes confidence is key. Confidence
in yourself and a genuine like and concern for your spectators.

If you played the guitar or musical instrument would you not learn a few songs?
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

I know plenty more in theory but not in practice.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, magicstudent8416 wrote:
I know plenty more in theory but not in practice.

Only YOU can change that.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Learn a deck vanish, end on that. No more cards, no more tricks.
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
It's all timing.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2017, Alex Day wrote:
It's all timing.

Perhaps it would helpful to magicstudent8416 if you would elaborate. Your statement is more than a little vague. I can think of a thousand things that require good timing before breakfast time and perhaps ten thousand after!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Rather than bow out, use it as a springboard to another performance without the pressure. Show them something else you've been working on but preface it by saying, "I don't have anything else ready to show you just yet, but if you're interested, I'd love your opinion on something that I'm currently working on..." This way, their job is to provide you with an honest opinion, which is always better than false flattery. They also know that it's not something that's "ready for primetime." Of course, this should be something you are ready to show, but if you couch the performance in these terms, it lowers the pressure on everyone, performer and participants.

Good luck, student, and hope you find a solution that works for you.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Don't apologize. Don't say you're a beginner. Just say something like "and that's all for today; thank you." and go live the rest of your life. When people ask me for more and I don't want to, I just say that they'll have to pay to see more, like with any other performer!

P!
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
I'm kind of in the same situation at the moment, I've had a few performances but still get really nervous depending on the audience. I just start off with a few self workers and after a few the nerves settle and I can go into some proper card magic. The pressure is unreal but hopefully it will get better after some more performances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How can I do one trick and politely excuse myself after so it isn't too much pressure? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL