The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Bannon- Lucky. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
This lecture booklet seems to be flying under the radar, haven't seen anyone talking about it or read any threads.

Anybody have this booklet? any reviews anywhere? being a Bannon junkie this is another must I guess.

Greig Ewen. Smile
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
I ordered it last week. Should be in my mailbox this week.
Did not even know these lecture were available, had never stumbled upon them.
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Yeah me to, just by chance a Facebook friend shared a post which sent me to a UK online dealer with the details of the booklet, purchased it immediately. Hopefully arrive tomorrow. Tell you what I think of it when it arrives but like ALL John Bannon's stuff I'm sure it will be golden.

Greig. Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
His last book "Mentalisimo" also flew under the radar for quite some time. Seems to be a trend. I have not ordered this one yet but I did get an email when it first came out from either BBM or John himself (I forget who). I will likely pick it up next month as I am certain I won't make it to any of his lectures.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
I read the booklet yesterday and tried out a couple of the effects.
It seems to mee that it is a perfect booklet for someone who is just starting to learn some Bannon effects.
If you already own stuff like High Caliber, Destination Zero or Mentalissimo (as I do), a lot of stuff will sound familiar (which isn't a bad thing).

These are the ones I have been playing with yesterday:

Chop Shop: if you already know Bannon's fractal tricks, you'll master this one quite fast. As always, it requires you to assemble your own cards. I'll give this one a go. My favourite still remains the Royal Scam and Spin Doctor, but this one just might replace Bullet Party.

Hybrid Holdout: a nice utility move which I'm sure will come in handy.

Stealth Assembly: plays out a bit like MacDonald's Aces I think, but impromptu. So it is a really nice ace assembly. John suggests following up this effect with Big Fat Bluff Assembly, which was featured in High Caliber (Big Fat Bluff Aces). I will definitely practice this one.

Big Fat Bluff Assembly: you'll have a pretty solid routine if you follow up Stealth Assembly with this one.

Plot Twist: an alternative ending to Twisted Sisters, so that got my attention immediately. This is OK, I think depending on your spectators you could give this one a go but personally I'm not gonna overdo it Smile

Triplicity: no, not a duplicity update but a very, very solid prediction routine. I love this one. The beginning sounded familiar though, as it uses some principles that were used for Mousetrap (Destination Zero). So again, not necessarily a bad thing. I will definitely add this one to my repertoire.

A Fred By Any Other Name: you can buy this as a stand alone trick, where apparently you will learn a utility move. This move is not not taught in Lucky as far as I know. This effect where you reveal the "prope" name of the selected card (for example "Fred") is all about presentation and will generate some laughs, but it's not for me. The instructions of this effect are quite short so I would imagine that John has more to say about this in the download or in his lectures.
Federm
View Profile
New user
Spain
8 Posts

Profile of Federm
I haven't bought the download but it seems that the move in the effect "A Fred by any other name" mentioned by Proximo is taught in the book "Mentalissimo", pages 2 - 6 and its name is "Shuffle transfer glimpse". It is used in the first trick of the book "Line of sight (redux)".
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Great in-put guys. Received the booklet a couple of days ago and must say its a lot bigger than I thought, only a few pages less than The Carey Files and I class that as a book.

Enjoying Proxy Shock, Stealth Assembly(which is in Carey Files) and Triplicity, not to say the other ones are bad just these three jump out at me. If you have some John Bannon books this booklet will feel very familiar in writing style, very informal and unassuming. Mr Bannon seems to be very busy in recent years magically speaking which can only be a good thing for the fraternity. Always top notch new material available, there will be some overlap/updates etc but that cant be helped.

I enjoyed this booklet and a great contribution to his body of work.

Greig.
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Just picked this up at Blackpool, looking forward to getting stuck in
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Does this booklet contain any effects that are not in any of his other books?
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2021, pnerd wrote:
Does this booklet contain any effects that are not in any of his other books?

Of the 10 effects in the book. 8 our new. Hope this helps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » John Bannon- Lucky. (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL