We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Magician Toronto
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magician Toronto
Quote:
On 2004-03-30 14:52, streetmagician_08 wrote:
Hey,
I am interested in building my own illusions, and am interested in the Paul Osbourne books. Can someone give me a review of what illsuions are in each book. Example the name of the illusion and what happens. This would help out a lot.

Thayne

Hi Thayne,
The illusions in the Osbourne plans are mainly classics. I have had several built and all the magicians I know that have built illusions from the plans don't use them anymore. They are all in good condition and a good deal for a stage magicians that perform illusions.

http://www.MagicianToronto.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6048 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
In the earlier posts in this thread, the illusions are listed and the books they are found in.
Dennis Michael
Andy Stagg
View Profile
New user
England, Devon
25 Posts

Profile of Andy Stagg
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this and keep it updated I have been looking to buy Paul Osbourne books for some time at least now I can see what is in each book

Regards

Andrew
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Any recent updates?
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Any good books on modern illusions?
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Anyone ever perform Whitch Doctor revenge or seen it performed?
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of iugefu
OK What about Stocks of Zanzibar?

BTW weird names stemming from weird times- this illusion is clearly a reference to the times of slavery and being shackled before being shipped of.( freed, and exchanged with the captor, revenge perhaps?)

Id be happy from anyone who knows more-and feel free to discuss other illusions and how their titles emanated.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of guyactor
New here and have seen the past postings of what is contained in which book.

I'm looking specifically for n escape from a cross. I have written Mickey Hades as he has one listed, but I don't believe he's still around.

Other sources?

Barry
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Any plans available for Haunted Doll House Illusion? Thank you.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6048 Posts

Wacky Dracky, has made and performed a lot of Osborne Illusions. You can ask him (John Bundy)
Dennis Michael
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Thanks Dennis, didn't spot it on your superbly combined list of Osborne plans.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7138 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 04:47, guyactor wrote:
I'm looking specifically for n escape from a cross. I have written Mickey Hades as he has one listed, but I don't believe he's still around.

I have not seen plans for this illusion, but Fairchild Magic builds the cross illusion that Duane Laflin and others perform.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Thanks, Donald. I did find a set of plans and have ordered them. Appreciate it!
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
You can buy a built spook house illusion for $150.

http://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/sphoil.html
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Is the Blammo Box in any of his books??
Charles
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Charles
I know this thread is old; however I just wanted to mention without discouraging anyone. If you
are considering building and construction any illusion here are a few things you will need to know.

1) Illusion building involves wood working, mechanics and finishing.
2) The mentioned skill sets are equal to learning how to perform magic.
3) If a door on a box does not hang correctly due to improper installation, telling your audience "don't mind the door" is no excuse for poor workmanship.
4) Bottom line, building a cardboard mock up is not the same as building in wood and metal.
5) Osbourne Books are a great resource for ideas, however they do not give you detail construction techniques on assembly.
6) Do take the time to learn proper shop safety. I have seen and heard horror stories about magicians attempting to build their own illusions to save money, only to find themselves in the emergency room at the local hospital due to improper use of a tools.
7) Illusion building is not as easy as DYI. Illusion builders stretch the common construction techniques to more advanced levels.
8) If you are not a builder, you will waste more time and money than if you saved and purchased an illusion made by a professional builder.
9)Understanding how an illusion is done, does not necessarily give you an understanding on how it is built.
10) Before you start a project, complete a bill of materials with prices. Include everything down to the nails, screws and sandpaper.
11) You will have to store the illusion, do take this into consideration. Storage that is not temperature controlled will result in nature taking it's course. Wood will warp, paint will peel, ohh and... pests will build nests, where your assistant will hide.

Charlie
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6048 Posts

Paul Osborne's Holiday Illusions

22 Illusions taken from the Pages of GENII Magazine

If you want to do a Mall Magic Show, or produce Santa from an Illusion then this is the book to get!
As Paul Osborne said:
Quote:

This collection of 22 illusion plans taken from the pages of Genii Magazine and themed to the holiday season is a great resource for the performer who wants to add some seasonal flavor to their presentation. Featured are illusions that produce Santa Claus, create a classic Dickens scene, make Frosty come alive, make Christmas trees and elves appear and even a beautiful Snow Queen.

There are seasonal twists on the Fraidy Cat Rabbit, Slick Post and the Enchanted Doorway as well as Hippity Hop Rabbits, 20th Century Silks, Run Rabbit Run and the Card Castle, all drawn and described by Paul Osborne. Many illusions are easy to build and we give you full scaled drawings, painting guides and scripting ideas. Illusions contained in this one-of-a-kind publication are:

• Here Comes Santa Claus: Produce Santa From A Sled inside a Toy Bag.
  • 5 Days of Christmas: Produce Santa From a Box (Like the Doll House trick)
  • Santa Screens: Produce Santa From Screens instead of Cards.
  • Home for the Holidays: A Classic Blackstone Method of Instant Holiday Scene
  • Santazamm!: Produce Santa From a Christmas Tree
  • That Fabulous Frosty Guy: Make a large Frosty Come Alive
  • A Tiny Christmas Miracle: Similar to the Hong Kong Dove Production but you Produce a fully Decorated Christmas Tree.
  • Kris Kringle Quiz: Like the Fraidy Cat Rabbit but with Santa and a Reindeer.
  • Santa Shack: Produce Santa From a Holiday looking house similar to a Door Production
  • Yule Tied: It's Like a Post Escape with a Christmas Tree Design
  • Christmas Castle: Produce Santa From a Christmas Castle
  • North Pole Kit: Produce Santa From Christmas Scene
  • Mix-Up in SantaLand: Hippy Hop Santas and Easter Bunnies
  • Santa’s Seat: Produce Santa From a Santa Chair
  • The Snow Queen: Produce Assistant/Elf From a Cloth
  • Santa Silks: 20th Century Silks like Routine where a Santa Picture produces the Vanished Silk
  • Santa Claus Came to Town: Produce Santa From Door Scene
  • Up The Chimney He Rose: An Illuionette with Santa Coming down A Chimney
  • Santa’s Little Helper: Produce Santa's Helper from a simple "empty" box
  • The Great Santa Switch: Santa and Assistant Switch
  • Santa Surprise: Produce Santa From Three Folding Screens
  • Candy Castle: Production of A Candy Castle, like Card House.

Every one of these themed illusions can easily be changed to other themes like Production of Monsters on Halloween, or the Easter Bunny or a Corporate Executive.

I Loved this Illusion Book! Also I love all of Paul Osborne's books and Illusions.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6048 Posts

1 Man Illusions and Illusionettes
An all new book from Illusion Systems for the single performer in today’s budget-challenged world. You’ll find 19 props you can easily build and perform without an assistant at any venue!

Featuring ideas from Paul Osborne, Tom Palmer, Abbott’s Magic, and Patrick Wolford.

Being a Kid magician I found this section especially good!
KID SHOW ILLUSIONS

• Birthday Party Wagon: Produce the Birthday Child! (A seller for your Show)
  • Dalton Boys: Hippy Hop Cowboys and Indians
  • Quick Build Suspension: Simple easily to build portable Suspension
  • Attacub: Cub Scout Card Trick
  • Poor Man’s Self Levi: A simple Levitation to float yourself
  • The Ropers: A rope through the Body Simple Illusion with Assistant

PARLOR ILLUSIONS

• Bim Bam Box: Dove to Rabbit Production
  • AutoMagic: A Production Frame
  • Pop-Table: Instant dining table with Food and Beverage
  • Orange Tree: Oranges plucked fro tree and they are disappeared and reproduced on tree
  • Through and Through: Rope Escape
  • Glassation: Penetration through Glass
  • Phantasma: Vanishing Head

STAGE ILLUSIONS

• Divido: Vanishing Middle part of Assistant's Body
  • Flash Appearance Updated: Just want it says....
  • The Black Hole: Slice through the middle, Stage Illusion
  • Chopping Block: A Sawing in Half updated version of the Disecto but with the body, not the hand.
  • Sorcerer’s Cellar: A production Door and Magician Vanisher
  • Expose Leg Vanish: Leg Disappears (See through leg, like See through Arm Illusion.)

plus a few thoughts and inspiration
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6048 Posts

The above two books are "must haves" for the person who loves Illusions and creative thoughts on Illusions.

When you study illusions you can be creative and design your illusion based on illusion designs.

I will second what Charles said above about Building Illusions.

In addition to the Illusion, you must think of transportation, and Storing it. One generally doesn't considering how to get the illusions to the various locations. So you need t truck too!

It's really nice to dream of these illusions, however, if one is serious, then one needs a wood shop or access to one. In my case, I have a wood shop, woodworking experience and a trailer to store the illusions. I am also mechanically inclined but weak on finishing abilities, (Painting)
Dennis Michael
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Nice to have a topic like this!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL