We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone read "Think of a Card" by Etienne Pradier book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I found this book on sale for a very low price. I've read the description of the book but was hoping to get feedback from someone who might already own it.

I enjoy card magic quite a bit and would say I am an intermediate Card Guy. Should I buy it or pass on it?
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure about this one, I do know that Pradier is a FISM winner, so his work has clearly been of some note.

You might know already, but I found "A Card Merely Thought Of" by Thomas Baxter to be quite interesting, when I was journeying through the land of "Think of a Card." A lot of good thinking and stuff in that one. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
Thanks a bunch MB, was reading a description of Baxter's book, looks cool. I also never knew Pradier was a FISM winner. I pulled the trigger on Pradier's book because I found it super inexpensive.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I recently acquired John Bannon's Mentalissimo and it contains a treasure trove of Think a Card effects. What a pleasant surprise. His thoughts and refinements of Ralph Hulls Three of Clubs effect from the 1930s are killer. Anyone interested in Think a Card should get this book. Preferably before it goes out of print.
JG
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of JG
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, terryisaacs wrote:
Thanks a bunch MB, was reading a description of Baxter's book, looks cool. I also never knew Pradier was a FISM winner. I pulled the trigger on Pradier's book because I found it super inexpensive.

If you are into think of a card routines, and it's super inexpensive, why not give it a go. Read, learn and inwardly digest. Then if you discover that it's genuinely not for you, simply sell it on. Win win all round.
"Deceptions From A Daypack" by Jack Goldstein - a limited edition book of card routines for those who love magic, travel and life.

Buy it now on Lulu; 100% of the profits go to Toybox, a charity committed to ending the global injustice of children living and working on the streets.

http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/jack-goldstein/deceptions-from-a-daypack/paperback/product-22733764.html
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
419 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
I have both "think of a card" and "French Bred Winners Book" books from Etienne Pradier.
If you want solid and practical card routines, you will love them.
He has unique style, and his materials aren't that difficult.

The thing that I don't like about the French Bred Winners Book is that it is not a hard cover book;
However, this is only my personal preference.

Hope it helps.

- Arthur
Maxyedid
View Profile
Loyal user
Panama
239 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2017, terryisaacs wrote:
I found this book on sale for a very low price. I've read the description of the book but was hoping to get feedback from someone who might already own it.

I enjoy card magic quite a bit and would say I am an intermediate Card Guy. Should I buy it or pass on it?


Can you tell us where is it available at a discounted price? Or was a one thing only?

Thanks!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Are you familiar with HOTOAC (Hands-Off Think of Any Card)?

https://youtu.be/6Q7xUyy1HD0
clars
View Profile
New user
Folsom Ca
54 Posts

Profile of clars
Nice work Ben. The spectator looked like the performer, and the performer looked like the spectator...LOL No dig, but funny
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
If I may, I'd like to also make an unpopular commment. I think that many magicians confuse the terms "think of a card" and "look at a card". Most of the effects marketed as the former are actually the latter.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
If I may, I'd like to also make an unpopular commment. I think that many magicians confuse the terms "think of a card" and "look at a card". Most of the effects marketed as the former are actually the latter.


What makes HOTOAC a "think of a card" and not a "look at a card"?
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
It's a little bit of both. It's not a pure think of a card routine. But it's also very different from, say, riffling through the front of a packet while asking a person to "think
of one" while using that one technique that I'm pretty sure we all know. In HOTOAC, the subject is holding a packet of shuffled cards in his own hands and given free reign to mentally decide on any one of them.

I have other routines that begin with me asking a person to simply think of any card at all, even before I bring out a physical deck.

I'm just pointing out a distinction. There are plenty of "look at a card" routines that are good.
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
If I may, I'd like to also make an unpopular commment. I think that many magicians confuse the terms "think of a card" and "look at a card". Most of the effects marketed as the former are actually the latter.


There is also the idea of making "look at a card" appear as "think of a card". Verbal strategies at the revelation of the selected card can make the effect appear to be TOAC to the spectators.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Undeniably true.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
It's a little bit of both. It's not a pure think of a card routine. But it's also very different from, say, riffling through the front of a packet while asking a person to "think
of one" while using that one technique that I'm pretty sure we all know. In HOTOAC, the subject is holding a packet of shuffled cards in his own hands and given free reign to mentally decide on any one of them.

I have other routines that begin with me asking a person to simply think of any card at all, even before I bring out a physical deck.

I'm just pointing out a distinction. There are plenty of "look at a card" routines that are good.


So it's not a confusion so much as a marketing/presentational ploy. Gotcha.
furmanmatt
View Profile
Regular user
New York
103 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
This is my favorite trick. It gets amazing reactions- https://youtu.be/EB0rKGexxQ4?t=1m26s
cfirwin3
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, New York
142 Posts

Profile of cfirwin3
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
If I may, I'd like to also make an unpopular commment. I think that many magicians confuse the terms "think of a card" and "look at a card". Most of the effects marketed as the former are actually the latter.


There is also the idea of making "look at a card" appear as "think of a card". Verbal strategies at the revelation of the selected card can make the effect appear to be TOAC to the spectators.

There is also the idea of making "think of a card" operate as any pick a card/look at a card. Suddenly the process of picking a card and 'losing' it can (with the right words, inflection, repetition, order of operations, etc.) seem in retrospect as a miracle with a card that was merely thought of. I do my ACAAN like this, by showing them the unique characteristics of the card that they thought of and having them concentrate on the image of that card while I shuffle, box the deck and then proceed with the story. To the lay spectator, this seems impossibly fair, especially if they deal the cards into my hand from the shuffled and boxed deck.
I can't remember what book I saw this suggested in, but even without the intention of misdirecting the spectator from the fact that they merely picked a card as usual (however verbally rather than with their fingers), it can be refreshing to just replace the words and process of "pick a card" with "name a card" in any trick that has a true free selection... even if the 'wow factor' of the effect isn't driven by them naming one freely without then hunting for it.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2517 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Clearly a mem deck is a very powerful tool in a genuinely thought of card situation. You immediately know where it is. Then you need strategies for the various possible positions i.e. near top, near bottom etc. Obviously estimation skills help too.

Rock the 'Voque' from Mentalissimo is a very practical method using two very well structured equivoques and a six card bank. I adopted the concept to a Kenton Knepper style Kollosal Killer Kard using two wallets each with three cards. Very strong.

Mike
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
[quote]On Jul 2, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
It's a little bit of both. It's not a pure think of a card routine. But it's also very different from, say, riffling through the front of a packet while asking a person to "think
of one" while using that one technique that I'm pretty sure we all know. In HOTOAC, the subject is holding a packet of shuffled cards in his own hands and given free reign to mentally decide on any one of them.

I have other routines that begin with me asking a person to simply think of any card at all, even before I bring out a physical deck.

I'm just pointing out a distinction. There are plenty of "look at a card" routines that are.

So it's not a confusion so much as a marketing/presentational ploy. Gotcha.


Care to elaborate? I can't tell from your post if I took this the right way.
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, furmanmatt wrote:
This is my favorite trick. It gets amazing reactions- https://youtu.be/EB0rKGexxQ4?t=1m26s


Great stuff.
That definitely is strong. I can only guess it's some type of mental force. for the maiden name's part, I have no idea since I know nothing about mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone read "Think of a Card" by Etienne Pradier book (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL