The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Merrill knife question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Is there a tell on the Merrill knives that allows you to select a specific knife from your pocket? If not, has anyone come up with a workable method?
Jake
When is this 'old enough to know better ' supposed to kick in?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1362 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
There is no tell. I use a knife case with pockets for each knife.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, NicholasD wrote:

did you make the case yourself, or is it available on the market?
Jake
Leo H
View Profile
Special user
839 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, NicholasD wrote:

did you make the case yourself, or is it available on the market?

Frank Starsinic sells great leather color changing knife cases:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=10
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19894 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I made my own separator for the knives with lining material and a piece of cardboard, that fits in my side dress sport jacket. Of course a sewing machine helps as well.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Hey Bill ...... About an hour ago, I checked in Ascanio's book. He has a 'classifier' in there made out of a piece of sheet meat covered with felt, and a rubber band.. your idea seems a lot easier to make. Can you give me some details how you made it?
Going through my old stuff, I found a see os 3 Merrill knives from Japan, and 4 from Pakistan. I have no recollection of having bought them. I figure that it's time to put them in use. I downloaded Pop Haydn's routine, and watched it this morning. Obviously, being able to select the desired knife out of the pocket is essential to the routine.
Jake
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
19894 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is quit simple, measure the inside of your jacket pocket, then subtract few inches so you can get your hand in with the card. Now cut a piece of lining material with an overlap. Cut a shorter piece, and lay the knives on top of the material, put the shorter piece over he knives and find the correct spacing. Now stitch each section making a pocket. Turn the whole thing inside out and stich 3 sides to the back material. Now turn to the right side and insert the cardboard. Now stitch it closed.

I made a custom one for my different tricks I did when table hopping. One for my breast pocket and one for my side pocket. Made retrieving things very easy.

Jakeg, I emailed you a scan of the Pocket Caddy I made with 10 pockets.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thank you Bill. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
When looking for my knives, I found a set of 3 (W/W, W/R, R/R, all made in Japan), and 4 others, (W/W, R/R, 1/2 W 1/2R, R/R, and a blue/ white, all made in Pakistan). I have no recollection of buying any of them, and there is a good possibility that they were in collection left to me in some bodies will. (I acquired 3 collections this way, and 2 of the guys, I dudn't know. I must have met them along the way.
Jake
magojose|
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of magojose|
As Ascanio said on his book, you should use the blade in order to mark the side of the knives, so you could feel the right side when taking out from pocket

Hope you find this information useful
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1530 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thank y'all. This has given me the info I was looking for. Just starting to really work with the knives. Many of the moves are very familiar, and the main work seems to be learning the choreography of the routine, and subtleties.
Jake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Merrill knife question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL