The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Marion Boykin New Routine (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Smile

I would've expected that retort from Doc Rubinstein, Smile but the barbers were still very happy with the magic. Smile I was very happy to show them a new one like, Copper Silver INC. as for once, it was the only thing I had on me...And really, the only thing I needed. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1479 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I got the routine and it is very nice, you need to dedicate sometime to the main sleight (I am novice) but besides that, it is just presentation, the hands move help a lot to hide the move.
Thank you Marion, nicely done

Pablo
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks pab, I'm getting a great response on "Copper Silver INC."

And funny, this "main sleight" or "move" is an old move to me now...But it's still a very powerful one as you can see. Smile

I've done quite a few c/s routines, mine and others, and this is about the most visual one I've come across, IMHO. And little did I know, I had it in my hands all along. Smile

Thanks again all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
And here's one of those responses from a really trusted voice here... Smile

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, Hare wrote:
This is beautiful in it's seemingly straightforward simplicity. I like it lots. It's magic!

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
*Oh, and I meant to mention something relative here...

While I use copper and silver, there is another level of deception that can be accomplished with a special coin made by John Jurney called, Transformer Coin. It is a slickly crafted idea that basically allows one coin to show "3" different sides, interchangeably two at a time. In this way, instead of just the copper part for my effect, you could actually change it to a Chinese coin (with a hole in it)...Imagine that, a c/s coin that can also be a Chinese coin? Smile

This coin is the combination of two classic ideas and comes with it's own solid routine and John's top-flite craftsmanship, but I have also used the coin for my routine many times to take advantage of the Chinese hole aspect. It's like adding a little special seasoning to prime rib or chocolate syrup to a big cold glass of milk. Smile

Check with John as to this wonderful coin in his arsenal, whether you use it for my routine or not, it's well worth a look-see. I guarantee that you will marvel at this thing... Smile

Oh, and tell'em Mb sent'cha! Smile

Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
296 Posts

Profile of Tree
Marion, I was experimenting with this on 3 people at the farmers market Sunday and suddenly was told to stop and not move by one of the specs, he asked me to see both sides of the c/s...with no hesitation I went into the quick pitch leading them off as you show Marion, and wham...say "this one with a hole in the coin" as I place it in my hand and pass it to them, and I'm standing there showing them clean hands pointing at the coin they hold, then take it and pocket both the c/s and chinese.
my first ever jaw dropper, that stunned look was amazing. first time I used the quick pitch without thinking about it. cool cool tool.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Tree, glad you are liking this...I've gotten a great response to it, as an effect that can be done on-the-spot and instantly amazes! I'm so happy to hear that, as that is always my aim in delivering a workable effect. Smile

I gotta say, I'm proud to hear you were thinking on your feet and used a powerful option to keep the magic alive and bewildering. Smile

The whole set of my ideas as to coin magic, work interchangeably with one another. I'm glad to hear that you remembered to effectively use it to your advantage. Smile That "Quick Pitch" is powerful alright, can be done at close quarters, and allows you to traffic coins around invisibly right before their very eyes. Smile

Seems you did it pretty well and in real time within this effect. The Ol' QP works in a lot of things, so here's hoping you keep "dropping jaws" everywhere you do magic. People really like their "jaws dropped" and I can tell'ya, they remember it always. Smile

Great experiences like yours is where all the best stories come from...From going out and just doing it. Great job! Smile

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4737 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Marion,

Love your copper silver transpo inc. Smooth as can be.

You can learn a lot from Marion's teaching videos. His sleights, handling, presentation, and tips will make it easy to learn and successfully perform his original effects.

Larry
NEWEST: Magica IV http://www.barnowskymagic.com/MagicaIV.html
NEW: 21st Century Coin Mechanics DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/21CCMDVD.html
https://www.facebook.com/barnowskymagic
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html
Listen to Esperanza's Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYdbJPo180
Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
638 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you remembered to effectively use it to your advantage. Smile That "Quick Pitch" is powerful alright, can be done at close quarters, and allows you to traffic coins around invisibly right before their very eyes. Smile

Side discussion, what is this "quick pitch"? I'm not familiar. Thanks.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
There's a conversation about it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=60#5
And you can find his teachings on it here:
http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/revisited.html
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
638 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
There's a conversation about it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=60#5
And you can find his teachings on it here:
http://www.vinnymarini.com/download/revisited.html

Ahhh, I love the Sylvester pitch! I still have my Sylvester Pitch '98 VHS tape around here somewhere. Will have to check out Mb's take on it.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks guys... Smile

Appreciate the connections to other supporting moves as to this. The Quick Pitch certainly flows in some of my routines, but it's not in the new Copper Silver INC. But it's still a really good move to learn.

Thanks for all the interest in my latest offering, out here and in the background via all the PMs... Thank you all. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have gotten a load of questions as to the two versions of the routine I include. They are basically identical up to a point, but are aimed at providing different ways to play out the routine. The main way is in playing it to the spectator's participation, so that the last change happens in their hands. This is always an amazing way to do this sort of effect. But now & again, you may not want to play it that way, and more expediently just do it in your hands but with the same amount of continuing interest, so I provide this way as a BONUS take as to the presentation.

Both ways are fun to do and very deceptive, so I don't think you lose much doing it either way. So, I hope that sorta clears up any more questions of what's what as to all that. So, basically, "Good choice is a good thing." Smile There are people that like doing it to the spec's hands and find that to be the best way to close the trick out. But a lot of others like the definitive shows of doing it without all that, and prefer the nice, sorta back & forth jump of the coins changing places...It's a different last show of some changes, and does make people's eyes POP! as the coins are made to change in a final little back & forth play. Smile

So, as to which way is best, well, either which way, you have a couple of good choices on a Copper Silver routine that's done quite a bit magically different than most, Smile

Thanks for all the continuing interest guys. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, I'm down in Bermuda for this Memorial Day weekend and have gotten to do my latest, Copper Silver INC. a few times already, and it's really driving people nuts. Smile

I've taken to doing the alternative handling a bit, and people can't believe their eyes. Smile As soon as I got to my hotel, the doormen stop me and ask over & over, "What you got new?" Smile So after checking in, I pull out CSI for them, and a group of taxi-drivers waiting around for fares. I walk them through it (as you know I like to do), show them everything quite deliberately and you can see their eyes POP! from one change to another...first openly, simultaneously in both hands, then again in a little different way, and then in one hand before again clearly showing them the two coins...And then doing it all again, even bolder, right up close. Smile But as usual, there's always at least one guy that doesn't want to believe what he's seeing, so I simply (open handedly) give him the two coins and he eventually just shakes his head in wonder, even bites at one of the coins. What fun! Smile

This is destined to be one of my favorites, which I always believe is what leads to it becoming one of yours. Smile

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4338 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Bermuda??? Stay the heck away from anything triangular. We need you to come back. Smile

Enjoy yourself.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks PD, was trying to stay away from any triangles while in Bermuda especially. Smile

I had a blast doing magic for people down there, real nice folks both Bermudians and tourists... Smile

And while I like doing my own stuff for folks, I gotta tell'ya, sometimes I like doing other magician's pieces too, and one that goes over big every time out is Sankey's "Holy Moly." Smile What a great little trick! It's so simple but the crazy concept of it all leaves people speechless. It uses basic-enough coin moves to make it happen and is pretty darn easy to do. Smile As I say regularly-enough here, "Less is more," and this little gem meets that bill. You can't go wrong with it, as there's truly "Nothing" to it. Smile

*It doesn't get said here much, but Jay Sankey is a mad genius of a close-up magician, and he has many effects to prove it, including a particular interest in SOH coin magic. So, you might not be into creating things, if not, then Sankey has a whole host of wonderful closeup magic just for you...All you have to do is get it, do it, receive the applause and take your bow...the stuff really is that good, perhaps even better than that. *Shameless plug for someone else. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Always meant to mention here how much I like PD's mention of this effect as "CSI"...Nice take! Smile And I just got a few inquiries about the trick just recently from folks watching the video, and basically "HOW!" Smile

I have been doing this routine quite a bit and it has become another favorite for me, and many others I see here...Thank you all for giving it a whirl! Smile

Thinking back now, right after playing with the effect yet again...My goal was to show two coins magically changing places back & forth from hand to hand, again & again, all the while fairly showing the coins to be regular ones...And with that, Copper Silver INC. (eventually after a lot of good thought to it), was born. Smile

CSI plays really well, and is very deceptive with a lot of good magic going on. It's hard to believe your eyes for specs, and it really allows you to engage them throughout the effect. A mixture of a couple of really good things makes it all happen like it's never happened before when it comes to Copper Silver. Smile

I usually only do a few coin effects of late, and this is one of the few good men for me nowadays. Smile

Oh, and thanks again PD. Smile

countrymaven
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Marion we all appreciate your magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It's been over a year now, and I’ve had a blast the last few days playing with Copper Silver INC…Man, this is another goody I happened upon along my way. Smile Every part of the routine is magical, and compact and impressive. It is the result of a long desire to see the two coins change places sorta visually.

For a long time I just couldn’t figure out how to do it the way I was seeing it in my mind. They do have gaffed sets that can accomplish it, but I like good old SOH to make things happen and didn't want to give up on it, and so glad I didn't. Smile So, I thought on about it for a good long while before breaking through to this. It’s such a fun routine to do and is very magical and clean. Also a lot of good moves to it, but nothing too difficult that a little good practice can't make happen. Smile

I go in and out of doing my effects, and so happy that got back to this one. I keep the coins in a little pouch that are always ready to come out and play. If you want something that just does it all in a coin trick, you'll love this. Smile It's one of my very best! Smile

https://vinnymarini.com/index.php/produc......ver-inc/

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8127 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2018, simplymagicweb wrote:
Beautiful...… I have this and it's a fab piece of visual magic. Get it!!!!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Marion Boykin New Routine (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL