The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Stephen Hobbs Technical Toolbox (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
While searching out quality information on culling cards, One of the sources that came highly recommended was Stephen Hobbs Technical Toolbox. I picked up a copy from Vanishing Inc and am so far very impressed with the overall contents. (Much less the cull information alone). I have decided to take on the entire project myself. Basically, brushing up on a few moves I already know/do in one way or another and learn a wealth of new moves and material. I am hoping to find one or more "card enthusiasts" who would also like to (or have) worked thru some, most, or all of this wonderful 7 DVD set.

Either thru a thread that we could move to the "Secret sessions" forum if we need to be a little more open than what this forum allows. Or if a few want to get together on occasion using some type of digital communication like Skype or Google Hangouts as well as even just the occasional PM.

While I have a lot of experience with cards and have a great amount of sleights in my arsenal, I see that I still can build upon that and add many more. However, I am quite certain I will have some roadblocks along the way.

As fate would have it, week one is already giving me some problems. I am having issues making the ribbon spread move where (I believe) I am following him exactly but probably 95%+ of my attempts so far have resulted in my having both cards face up (and seen after the flip over) where only the one should be seen. I am setting the cards the same way he does, placing my finger above but not touching the side jogged card and using downward pressure until that card is down where it "goes" and I am only using the bony part of one finger.

Then as I move onto the next video section, "The Subterranean addition", I am having no problems even though I have never used that type of addition.

For those who do not know about this great set, here is a link - https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......toolbox/
Feel free to pick one up and play along. This is certainly going to take a while. Smile

Thanks in advance.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
hhoudini
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of hhoudini
Yes, I have exactly that same problem with the spread move!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, hhoudini wrote:
Yes, I have exactly that same problem with the spread move!

That actually makes me feel pretty good. I would hate to think that I was alone on this one. It actually "seems" like it is a pretty simple and almost self worker. Then again, I have been wrong before.

I have pretty much had no problems with the following moves on disc 1. I am just beginning the "Cull" stuff (the main reason I got this set). I love the way it flows and inspires you to create little nuances on your own. I have even added my own touch on the "B2T Transfer Cuts" section. (I am sure I am not the only person who thought of the idea I am using but I did come up with it myself as a result of trying to "problem solve" while learning these moves. Smile

I can't wait to get the Cull down and dedicate a good bit of time in practicing it. I can only hope to get it down as well as another member here has where hw posted it in another thread.

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Ben Daggers wrote:
For anyone who's interested, here is a quick video I just made of the cull in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbpvFgJldw
The sound you hear at the end is my wife yawning. I assure you it's unrelated to the sleight of hand on camera!
Ben

It is in a thread about culling and he refers to Stephen Hobbs TT being the source.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......99806#17

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Its a knacky move... Don't beat yourself up that you are struggling with it.
I had the same problem for ages that 2 cards would land face up when I turned the spread over. I made 2 adjustments:
1 - Start with the force card 3rd from the bottom. Stephen does suggest this, but adds that it is worth learning to do it with just 1 cover card.
2 - Don't spread the deck as widely. Reduce the pressure when you get near to the sidejogged card so that the cards hidden below the sidejogged card are less widely spread than the ones further down and further up.

Also use a deck that is broken in... If it is a really slippery deck then you'll have trouble.
It may also be worth sidejogging the card more widely.

I absolutely love The Technical Toolbox. I worked through it one week at a time when Stephen was releasing each week to his site. About 4 weeks ago I decided to start working through it again and brushing up on the things I still use and seeking out any forgotten gems.
I would absolutely be up for sharing ideas, brainstorming and sessioning on the material with you.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I find I'm more likely to have the opposite problem: neither face up card is visible.

I've had a couple of ideas for use with the spread move. And also with the addition move which I've still not quite managed to get right.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I did find that playing a bit with the pressure after the face down card is in place helped some but I was still getting maybe half a pip showing on the card that should not show. I have also been playing with placing the "selected" card in different positions before spreading. Ie. 1/3 of the card in, 1/2 of it in and 2/3 in. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck. I actually think all of these ideas are correct but I just need to find the exact combination that makes them work together.

I will try a more broken in deck. The one I am using is not new but it is in pretty good condition (maybe a couple weeks old without a lot of use).

Since I am seeing this will more likely involve some detailed move explanations, I have linked it to a new thread in Secret Sessions for those with over 50 posts. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37

If you are new (under 50 posts) or do not post a lot, You can still post here and we will help where we can without exposure.

Smile Smile
tmcbls
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of tmcbls
I really have no right to post this (hobbyist, not performer), but I had the same issue. And I think I have a fix. It'll be in sessions.

I love this set!
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Hobbyists have created some of the strongest magic.
You absolutely have a right to post. Not being a professional doesn't mean your opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc are any less valid.
tmcbls
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of tmcbls
Thanks for the kind words. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Stephen Hobbs Technical Toolbox (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL