The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Which DL getready would you recomend while I am still learning the pinky break? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
I am practicing the pinky break to get the desired amount of cards and while I am slowly getting more hits it still needs a lot of work til I get a high degree of accuracy.

I still however want to perform some tricks which utilize the DL so wondering what a good alternative would be while I am still building up my pinky break skill.

I think that the one where you draw your other hand over and make the break with the thumb is rather obvious that you are 'up to something' so would prefer one that can be done with the same hand which holds the cards.

I read there is another one where you push off the cards. I tried it a little but not much.

Would this be the advised one to do or are there others?

On the other hand I wonder if it is best to just practice the pinky break exclusively since that is the best of the bunch rather than waste any practice time on ones I would discard later- or do other ones still have their uses even with a good pinky break in tow?
PeterOwens
View Profile
New user
Glasgow
62 Posts

Profile of PeterOwens
Pinky count takes a bit of practice but once you get it down it's the best get ready in my opinion. When I was just starting I would normally push two cards over on the offbeat and get my break that way.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
How about the good old remove the top card to gesture and get a break with the 2nd from the top?
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
How about just grabbing the DL from the side of the deck with no get ready. I'm pretty sure I'm not the minority on doing the DL this way. Once you get the hang of it its pretty surefire. You can almost always instantly DL without a get ready as soon as your hands get used to it. This is the way I learned and I think still works. The pinky count works well for picking up the cards with more flair
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
Also, to contribute to what was asked. I think I agree with what fonda57 is saying or even spreading the some of the top cards out and and then getting the break as you square them back with the deck.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
If you spread some of the top cards and get a break while squaring up you will want some time misdirection. It will work, you just don't want anyone paying any mind to what you are doing.

Sound like you are describing a strike double lift, Terry. Another one that works!

I do the pinky count, best double ever.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
If you spread some of the top cards and get a break while squaring up you will want some time misdirection. It will work, you just don't want anyone paying any mind to what you are doing.

Sound like you are describing a strike double lift, Terry. Another one that works!

I do the pinky count, best double ever.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
I've been experimenting with several DLs to try and figure which one I find the most comfortable and so far I'm finding the Strike is actually the most doable for me as a beginner. The classic cited in RRTCM seems far too clunky and obvious something is going on. I'm going to work on the pinkie break as it seems to me that it's more "controllable" than the Strike but it's good to have a reasonably serviceable one in the meantime. Whichever method you use however it seems it's a longgg journey before you start becoming remotely proficient in doing one...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Which DL getready would you recomend while I am still learning the pinky break? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL