The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color Changing Knives from Dan & Dave (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Does anyone have Bob White's A practical Knife Routine for Gentlemen from Dan & Dave
that could comment on the quality, size and handling of of the knives supplied?
I like the look of them:

https://www.dananddave.com/products/a-pr......entleman
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for posting the reference. If you look at the photos, on the knife blade is the word BUCK, that means they are made in the USA by the Buck Knife company, one of the two leaders in the making of knives. They make the highest quality knives in the world. Thus the high price, but you are getting 3 knives, and not the usual 2.

What you can't do is expand the routine with the half dyed knife or any of the other effects Ascanio wrote about in is book on color changing knife routines. This is the basic routine as shown in the video. With an expanded set you can do many other routines. I was surprised he did not do the pocket knife through pant leg effect.

These knives look rather short compared to most CCK on the market. Usually they fit across the fingers from edge of little finger to edge of index finger.

I don't own this set, and would not for the reasons I have stated above. I have owned and used a number of different knives over the years, and these are great for a 1st set.

Also keep in mind, you cannot take knives into municipal buildings and air ports and other places, and they will not return them to you. I also like they include a carrying case, which serves as holder to keep the knives easy to find in the pocket.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If you are looking for knife routines and quality knives, Don't forget to check out Joe Mogar's line. http://www.joemogar.com/
He has been one of the top knife guys for years. Pop Haydn even sells Joe's knives with his "Intricate Web of Deception" color changing knife routine
http://www.popsmagic.com/reviews-of-the-......ews.html
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Thanks for posting the reference. If you look at the photos, on the knife blade is the word BUCK, that means they are made in the USA by the Buck Knife company, one of the two leaders in the making of knives. They make the highest quality knives in the world. Thus the high price, but you are getting 3 knives, and not the usual 2.

What you can't do is expand the routine with the half dyed knife or any of the other effects Ascanio wrote about in is book on color changing knife routines. This is the basic routine as shown in the video. With an expanded set you can do many other routines. I was surprised he did not do the pocket knife through pant leg effect.

These knives look rather short compared to most CCK on the market. Usually they fit across the fingers from edge of little finger to edge of index finger.

I don't own this set, and would not for the reasons I have stated above. I have owned and used a number of different knives over the years, and these are great for a 1st set.

Also keep in mind, you cannot take knives into municipal buildings and air ports and other places, and they will not return them to you. I also like they include a carrying case, which serves as holder to keep the knives easy to find in the pocket.
I'm not new to CCK and am aware of the points you mentioned. Also, you can transport knives like these in your checked bag at the airport.

I'm really interested in how they handle from someone who has them.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
If you are looking for knife routines and quality knives, Don't forget to check out Joe Mogar's line. http://www.joemogar.com/
He has been one of the top knife guys for years. Pop Haydn even sells Joe's knives with his "Intricate Web of Deception" color changing knife routine
http://www.popsmagic.com/reviews-of-the-......ews.html
I like that these have a Bolster at each end.

Joe's stuff is excellent as is Whit's routine.
– Karl Germain
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Hi Motown--I have a set of the Dan & Dave knives. The knives are elegant and well made but there are a few things to consider. At 2 5/8 in length--between 2 and a half and three quarter inches, they are a bit on the small side. I have small hands so this isn't a problem for me. The close up shots on the website make them appear larger than they are.

The black sides are not textured so you'll have to work with them on a system that does not rely on feel.

These are real Buck knives like the kind that Brad Burt used to sell when he had his magic shop in San Diego. They were made by the Buck company as CCKs and were not knives that were modified later. The knives Brad sold had a textured black side and also came in red:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artknife.htm

The Dan & Dave knives come in a leather pouch to hold all three and Bob White's routine printed in small pocket sized booklet. If you are familiar with the CCKs, you won't bother reading it, but it looks nice.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks Leo,

I also have smaller hands, so that was something I was thinking about.
And I do like the fact that they have a more elegant look.
The added texture would have been nice.
– Karl Germain
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
Wow. Years ago I went into Trick or Treat in Memphis and it is there that I met Dick Oakley. One of the first products he sold me was a color changing knife set. At 90 something bucks it was a lot of money to let go of at that time but it is the ONLY magic product I have kept over the years. I can not for the life of me think of what brand they are. I carry them daily and they feel GREAT! They look and feel like a real pocket knife and they aren't flat or boxy like most I have seen since. This set came with four knives allowing me to finish off with a red one. I looked on the website posted above hoping to find them but to no avail.

Could any of you think of other Color Changing knife sets that I can check out? Would love to one day pass a set off to my grandson.

Thank you for your time

Scott
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
Never mind I FOUND THEM! woot woot! They are Scotty York knives! Sadly they say they are no longer in production!
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
I have a few sets of Scotty York knives if anyone wants to buy a set. price $150.
Dick Oakley used to sell Mogar's 4 knife set. He sold dozens of them. They were
the Best that he had ever used.
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
Dick Oakley was a great man. He knew how to encourage someone.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
KEEP EYES OPEN FOR JOE PORPER'S SET - Not ready yet, but...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MikeLiu
View Profile
Regular user
vancouver
120 Posts

Profile of MikeLiu
Look nice
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Just received a set and am very pleased with them. Also looking forward to seeing Joe Porper's set!
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
For me, the best knives on market are Casavalle Knives, from Argentina. Deep colour, well balancee on weight in order to do the ultra speed turn (see Tamariz’s Sonata) and lost lasting prop
A thing on beauty the Casavalle’s Knives
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
I desperately want to make a set, because the CCK is one of my favorite routines, but Joe (Porper) promised Joe (Mogar) that we wouldn't make them, and friendships are more important than profits. Smile
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color Changing Knives from Dan & Dave (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL