The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where is the best place to practice to an audience as a beginner? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
I had been going out to bars and nightclubs but those places are so brutal and merciless I think it is kind of the hardest place to practice.

So what would be some better places while I get my chops?
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
One thing that helped me was going to more social events. My fiance's father is involved in a few (non-magic related) organizations and clubs, and sometimes invites us along. He loves telling his friends I'm a magician and watching me perform for them. So, maybe look into joining some social clubs or organizations, or just tagging along with members you know.
Also, I know the bar-scene can be brutal, but what has worked for me is 'Pub-crawls' with large groups. I usually go with a few friends, but in a large, planned pub-crawl. I do a few tricks at one of the bars for my friends, and then people on the Crawl I don't know usually start watching and ask for more. Also, people not on the crawl as well.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PRACTICE...REHEARSE... THEN, PERFORM!

Practice privately...........Rehearse.......privately........Perform in public

Practice to develop and perfect, sleights, or efficient prop "handling".

Rehearse to develop performing ability.

Rehearsal is the performance of the complete "set", act, show, etc. If one makes a mistake, THE SHOW MUST GO ON! One continues to the end of the set, act, etc. If one is performing in public, a set, act, etc. one does not stop performing. One CONTINUES to the end of the set, act, etc. (Have "outs"! --lines, gags, etc.)

PERFORM WHEN one has practiced and rehearsed enough that the "chances" of making a mistake are negligible.

Too many beginners are too anxious to show off their new trick, before they have developed a PRESENTATION!!!

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." --S.H. Sharpe

To add a new trick to one's repertoire, there are three "things" that must "happen":

1. Learn how it is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. LEARN HOW TO DO IT, SO THAT IT ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE.

.....(MAGIC is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!) The performer's "job", is to make the trick entertaining with his PRESENTATION!s
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where is the best place to practice to an audience as a beginner? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL