The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » The Wizard Product Review #288 The Gift, Gold & Black, Devour, Appear 8 and Hofzinser Poker (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli

On this week's Wizard Product Review with David Penn & Wayne Fox the boys take a look at:

The Gift Gold Limited Edition by Angelo Carbone

Get it now by Clicking Here!

The Gift Black by Angelo Carbone

Devour by SansMinds Creative Lab

Appear-8 by Steve Rowe

Hofzinser Poker by Jeremy Hanrahan and Lost Art Magic

---
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Awesome show
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you for posting these Bill!
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
So pleased with the review they gave for Appear8.
Especially next to other such great magic.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm surprised at the rave reviews for Appear 8 considering the close-up shot which shows what it is, how it works and that it clearly looks terrible at close range. Maybe you could perform this for blind people in a dark room.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, only one of the productions was performed correctly, but this is a magic review, and the purchasers are magicians that should know how this id done no matter how well it is performed. There are some tricks that just can't be performed for video. This may be one of them.

Marc De Souza marketed a nice little briefcase and steel ball bearing that uses this move. The miniature briefcase lid worked well to concealed the failing's of the move.

If a magician has to be fooled to see the strength of a magic effect being sold, then he should change hobbies, as they do not understand the purpose of a 'demo' video.

When I went to Abbott's every week to buy a new miracle, I was rarely or never fooled, that is their job, their job was to sell props. In those days, Abbott's would even tell you how it was done before you purchased it. In buying magic, it has more to do with if it will fit in the "act" you are creating and if you like ecstatic features of the prop. [b]It totally has nothing to with fooling the purchaser, who should be knowledgeable to the working from his learning period and reading hundreds of magic books.

Appear 8 is a good trick and would work in a performance. At some point in the future, you will wish you purchased it. That is the way it always happens.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I appreciate your feedback Bill.

I was mainly referring to how obvious the mechanics of the gimmick are at fairly close range. It would seem that it would be easy for a spectator to notice this as well. I know we're supposed to keep thing moving but... I'm just not impressed with the looks of this one. If others like it and use it with success then I congratulate them.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2017, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I appreciate your feedback Bill.

I was mainly referring to how obvious the mechanics of the gimmick are at fairly close range. It would seem that it would be easy for a spectator to notice this as well. I know we're supposed to keep thing moving but... I'm just not impressed with the looks of this one. If others like it and use it with success then I congratulate them.

Only just seen this, thank you for your honest opinion.

As magicians we look for method - yes, the method is obvious, because we are looking at the box saying to ourselves 'I know whats about to happen, how does this work, argghh I get it' - so assume its now obvious.

Trust me, I have performed this to rooms of both magicians and lay audience. Close up, small groups and parlour.
In my lecture, before this was released ie, before magicians had seen it, it hit them hard - just like a lay audience reacts.
They didn't know what was happening and so, did not see or suspect the gimmick. Only after, did they then come to the conclusion of method.

Spectators, if you are a good performer, are along for the ride.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Yes, only one of the productions was performed correctly, but this is a magic review, and the purchasers are magicians that should know how this id done no matter how well it is performed. There are some tricks that just can't be performed for video. This may be one of them.

Marc De Souza marketed a nice little briefcase and steel ball bearing that uses this move. The miniature briefcase lid worked well to concealed the failing's of the move.

If a magician has to be fooled to see the strength of a magic effect being sold, then he should change hobbies, as they do not understand the purpose of a 'demo' video.

When I went to Abbott's every week to buy a new miracle, I was rarely or never fooled, that is their job, their job was to sell props. In those days, Abbott's would even tell you how it was done before you purchased it. In buying magic, it has more to do with if it will fit in the "act" you are creating and if you like ecstatic features of the prop. [b]It totally has nothing to with fooling the purchaser, who should be knowledgeable to the working from his learning period and reading hundreds of magic books.

Appear 8 is a good trick and would work in a performance. At some point in the future, you will wish you purchased it. That is the way it always happens.

Totally agree and thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » The Wizard Product Review #288 The Gift, Gold & Black, Devour, Appear 8 and Hofzinser Poker (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL