The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 3D printing and laser cutting (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Hi all,
My name is Dan with handcrafted miracles, I just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know what we have/do and let you all know we are happy to help you guys if you need anything.

We have a full woodworking shop and just added an incra positioning system to our cast iron table saw. Amazing! I can now repeatedly cut tolerances within 1/1000 of an inch. We also have:

Boss 100 watt laser cutter/engraver
Vacuum forming machine (my design)
4 Quidi tech 1 3D printers
Aluminum and soft metal foundry and some milling capability
Large Hot mount press for card gaffing

I am in process of building a CNC router.

I have extensive experience in 3D modeling and numerous CAD softwares and splitters as well as 2D renderers. We believe in sharing designs and ideas and making the magic community stronger and better but will also keep any design ideas confidential if you wish to not share it. I believe we have a pretty good reputation which I have no interest in tarnishing Smile

If anyone needs help we are happy to offer what we can time permitting. Specifically, in the areas of 3D printing and laser cutting we have definitely been through our share of trial and error so if you run into challenges please feel free to reach out with any questions etc.... We will try to help. I try to check the Café fairly regularly but you can also email me at handcraftedmiracles@gmail.com

Best regards,
Dan
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Welcome Dan,

Share more about your incra positioning system for a table saw. Did you make that or buy it? Second Question...When do you sleep?

Smile
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Hey Gimpy,
check it here:
http://www.woodpeck.com/tslssystem.html
I have been considering one of these but am a little cautious. I have one on the router table and it works amazing however it is not quite as stiff as I would like. I do a lot of large rough cutting on the table saw and am not sure how it would hold up. I want to play with one in person before I pull the trigger on that purchase.
The other Dan....
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, Dan C wrote:
Hey Gimpy,
check it here:
http://www.woodpeck.com/tslssystem.html
I have been considering one of these but am a little cautious. I have one on the router table and it works amazing however it is not quite as stiff as I would like. I do a lot of large rough cutting on the table saw and am not sure how it would hold up. I want to play with one in person before I pull the trigger on that purchase.
The other Dan....

Wow that's quite elaborate as well as expensive. I have a very good fence now and don't think I would trade.
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Yeah I'm pretty sure the fence costs more than my entire saw is worth right now.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Looks like you have to replace the rails to put that on the table. I have a Grizzly table saw with a Shop fox aluminum fence on it. It has wheels and I move it all the time so the rails need to be pretty sturdy. I like what I have because its very versatile and accurate.
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
How do you like the Grizzly? I have been looking at replacing mine for a couple of years. (its an ancient unisaw) and have been seriously considering the sawstop since I have kids in the garage watching me a lot. But then I see that price tag .......
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Dan C wrote:
How do you like the Grizzly? I have been looking at replacing mine for a couple of years. (its an ancient unisaw) and have been seriously considering the sawstop since I have kids in the garage watching me a lot. But then I see that price tag .......

I have had that saw for 10 years and have had no problems with it.They don't make the model I have anymore but looks like they have some close for under $900. They have cast tables and mine runs great on 220. I got the fence upgrade on a special for no extra charge. I love Grizzly tools and almost everything in my shop is green. Great service after the sale. Lucky I live close and if there is a problem with a tool I can just pull up to the service door and they repair or replace on the spot.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Good to have you here!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I only bought the positioner. I already made a lot of fence modifications to my existing fence. I run a ridgid 4512 saw and built an extension fence that has aluminium extruded miter slots along the top and face of the fence. This allows me to use all sorts of box joint and tenon jigs I made in combination with my existing fence.

Between the rails in the space commonly used for a router table I put in an insert and affixed the positioner to that. I attached the terminal end of the positioner directly to the t-slot of my fence. I find that by just locking down the positioner it is incredibly sturdy in this setup and in reality I do not even have to lock down the fence in most cases.

The whole setup relies on having the saw really well set up however. Rails the appropriate height and level, woiden table insert level to the cast iron table, blade square to the mitre slots and fence, and the positioner square to the fence and blade. Otherwise the further you extend the positioner the more out of square to the blade it becomes. It took me a bit if fiddiling with it but now that I have it, it's freaking anazing.

Paid for itself in our last run of 3 dozen vision cubes alone in my opinion. Probably shaved off 2 full days of work.

We are starting a run of Master Dragon Sticks next week. To get the sidewalls right I have to be precise to 1/64" normally I have to count on wasting one out of every 3 completed sticks. Unless I miss my guess those days are gone lol. The repeatability is really cool and I have learned that the micro adjustmemt wheel is my best friend when it comes to little boxes and slides. Next I am thinking of updating my stacked dado set. Tthe Diablo is adequate but not as perfect as I would like.

I will see if I can post some pics if my setup for you guys later today.

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Some pictures of my setup if you are interested

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Welcome to the Workshop Dan. I was a builder, but now a collector, yet still haunting this area of the Café to remind myself how good sawdust smells.

As a buyer of almost everything your shop has put out, I can say that for me, having you here is a boon to say the least. You are a craftsman extraordinaire, who seems to live and breathe quality. That's reflected in your customer service and more importantly, your product.

You didn't ask for this plug, but you got it. Glad to have you here.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Welcome to the Workshop Dan. I was a builder, but now a collector, yet still haunting this area of the Café to remind myself how good sawdust smells.

As a buyer of almost everything your shop has put out, I can say that for me, having you here is a boon to say the least. You are a craftsman extraordinaire, who seems to live and breathe quality. That's reflected in your customer service and more importantly, your product.

You didn't ask for this plug, but you got it. Glad to have you here.

Hey brother that is very kind, too kind really, but I do appreciate it.

I have loved the art of magic for as long as I can remember. While everyone has to make a living to my way of thinking the art, artists and even creators all benefit when we share knowledge. I quit worrying about competing with other creators and decided that collaboration and cooperation pays much bigger dividends for all concerned so I am here to help if I can. I think magic is very fortunate to have a plethora of amazing artists and craftsmen among its ranks and speaking for my son Jon and I, we feel fortunate to be counted among them. I have met some truly wonderful people since deciding to make this my livelihood and I see it as a privilege to be able to give back when and where I can.

Ps.... since getting the Incra positioner I've been working on an all hardwood version of Box98. I am thinking inlaid black walnut. I have all the joinery figured out but can't decide....either brass wire, mother of pearl, or marquetry inlays....I have done puzzle box and luthiery competitions for years, but magic has always been my first love....any design or other ideas folks would like to see?

By the way Happy St. Paddy's everyone! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
With the laser cutter available what you could do with marquetry would be amazing. That would get my vote.
I like your adaption of the positioned as well. I might pirate that for the shop soon.

Still recovering from St Paddy's Day
Dan
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Dan C wrote:
With the laser cutter available what you could do with marquetry would be amazing. That would get my vote.
I like your adaption of the positioned as well. I might pirate that for the shop soon.

Still recovering from St Paddy's Day
Dan

Thanks, yeah I haven't seen the whole rail system set up in person, but I too wondered about how sturdy it might be. My setup is quite sturdy but the downside is I have to remove the positioner if I want to do and sheet goods cutting wider than about 19 inches. Still for the size of the work I usually do it is perfect.

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Thought I would share a sliding panel joint I have been working on. I had an idea for a dual color change but it relies on two hidden panels being able to slide independantly along Y and Z axis inside a wooden box. I was finally able to accurately cut slots in the edge of 1/4 inch hardwood using a jig I designed. I worried that the slots would make the 1/4" stock too weak but it has remained suprizingly strong. Here is a quick video...

https://youtu.be/963naY-N5zI

Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Very nice are you using a wax or anything for a lube on the joint?
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, Dan C wrote:
Very nice are you using a wax or anything for a lube on the joint?

Nothing yet, but I have used regular Johnson's or Minwax paste wax to good success in the past. I plan on using really hard maple or tight grained walnut on the final version so hopefully it will slide easily. Have you had or used something you might suggest Dan?

Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
I'd suggest "slipit". Www.slipit.com. It's better than wax and more slippery. A little goes a long way and I'd recommend the paste vs the liquid. Parts that bound previously slide very easily. It won't make a bad joint slide perfectly but it will make a joint like you or I do that seems a bit stiff slide with perfection.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
[quote]On Mar 17, 2017, Dannicus wrote:

Ps.... since getting the Incra positioner I've been working on an all hardwood version of Box98. I am thinking inlaid black walnut. I have all the joinery figured out but can't decide....either brass wire, mother of pearl, or marquetry inlays....I have done puzzle box and luthiery competitions for years, but magic has always been my first love....any design or other ideas folks would like to see?

I like the carving you do on the Dragon sticks and vision boxes. The gold leaf detail is just wonderful. I think the Box98 would look great that way. But you know what some will say....." That box looks too nice, spectators are going think its from a magic shop"
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 3D printing and laser cutting (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL